[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why no week 10 byes?

FWmaker

Don't remember if this was discussed, but I certainly don't remember...

Why are there no week 10 byes? They occur or have occured on weeks 5,6,7,8,9,11.

I'm sure it's some kind of marketing reason. Gotta be money driven in some way.

What am I missing???

I read that this is a side effect of the lockout. The earlier bye weeks had six teams instead of four, and they also chopped off that extra week between playoffs and the Super Bowl plus the delayed start. Why no byes in Week 10 and jumping ahead to 11, though, is a bit of a mystery: I suspect it has more to do with multiple scheduling conflicts than greed, but who knows?

I read that this is a side effect of the lockout. The earlier bye weeks had six teams instead of four, and they also chopped off that extra week between playoffs and the Super Bowl plus the delayed start. Why no byes in Week 10 and jumping ahead to 11, though, is a bit of a mystery: I suspect it has more to do with multiple scheduling conflicts than greed, but who knows?

I was wondering about this myself, not not sure if it has anything to do with the lockout though. The bolded statement is not correct, the season schedule was just as it always is with the lone exception being the cancelled HOF pre-season game. Season started the Thursday after Labor Day. And there is still a week off before the Super Bowl. I was going to link to the post season schedule on the NFL site, but it looks like that is still from 2010 season, I did find a couple other sources that confirm

Conf Champ games Jan 22

Pro Bowl Jan 29

Super Bowl Feb 5

edit to add

I asked this question on the 506.com site forums where people know there stuff pretty well, and got this response

"Byproduct of the lockout. Look at the teams in the bye for Week 11--they happen to have played each other in Week 3. If the lockout had disrupted the first three weeks of the season, those four teams would have made up their games in Week 11 (I'm guessing some sort of scheduling conflict didn't allow for them to put that bye in Week 10)."

So I guess it was related to the lockout, allowing them to adjust the season schedule some if needed and get all 16 games played. If I see something more complete there I'll post it.

Edited by stevegrab

I was wondering about this myself, not not sure if it has anything to do with the lockout though. The bolded statement is not correct, the season schedule was just as it always is with the lone exception being the cancelled HOF pre-season game. Season started the Thursday after Labor Day. And there is still a week off before the Super Bowl. I was going to link to the post season schedule on the NFL site, but it looks like that is still from 2010 season, I did find a couple other sources that confirm

Conf Champ games Jan 22

Pro Bowl Jan 29

Super Bowl Feb 5

edit to add

I asked this question on the 506.com site forums where people know there stuff pretty well, and got this response

"Byproduct of the lockout. Look at the teams in the bye for Week 11--they happen to have played each other in Week 3. If the lockout had disrupted the first three weeks of the season, those four teams would have made up their games in Week 11 (I'm guessing some sort of scheduling conflict didn't allow for them to put that bye in Week 10)."

So I guess it was related to the lockout, allowing them to adjust the season schedule some if needed and get all 16 games played. If I see something more complete there I'll post it.

Correct - it was to allow for a few weeks to be shaved off the front just in case.

Conf Champ games Jan 22

Pro Bowl Jan 29

Super Bowl Feb 5

edit to add

Actually, all the teams that played each other in week 3 shared the same bye week. The league scheduled it this way so that it could cancel the first three weeks of the season but lose only two games -- all the week 3 games would be made up during the respective teams' bye week (i.e. instead of playing in week 3, New England would play Buffalo during their bye week in week 7).

I understand why they pushed those teams to the end in case of the lockout but why couldn't it be week 10 instead of 11? Did i miss that somewhere?

I got some more responses on 506.com that may explain this. One theory is it was to balance out the bye weeks across Fox and CBS DH weekends. If they had byes in week 10, that would have meant 4 of the 6 weeks with byes were Fox DH, and only 2 with CBS DH. By having the last byes in week 11 it balances out 3 each.

The other theory is a conflict in open arenas. If the teams had to play in that bye week, NO @ HOU had a stadium conflict.

Both sound pretty plausible. That was really my basic question, why week 11 instead of 10. The other stuff about the possible lockout and moving week 3 to the bye week was sort of secondary.