[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another trade veto thread

lkirc

I play in a pretty pricey 12 team league where we have had the same issues in the past. This year each player paid an additional 10 dollars to have someone outside the league run it. I have to say it has been the best decision we have done. I dont always agree with trades that are accepted, but by the same token some have been vetoed and it has worked. Maybe this is something to suggest to the league.

If commish approval is only a formality, why would the league rules require it?

Ok, maybe formality was a poor choice of words. Our league requires commissioner approval of trades to prevent things like player dumping or other signs of collusion. In almost 20 years we have never overruled a trade that two owners agreed do.

Those saying it is a formality basically mean that once two owners agree to a trade, unless the commissioner denies it, it should go through. A single owner should be able to requet a veto or do over because they got cold feet.

I play in a pretty pricey 12 team league where we have had the same issues in the past. This year each player paid an additional 10 dollars to have someone outside the league run it. I have to say it has been the best decision we have done. I dont always agree with trades that are accepted, but by the same token some have been vetoed and it has worked. Maybe this is something to suggest to the league.

This is the only way a big $$$ league should work. Greed does a lot of funny things to people. The rest of us likely play for fun with friends and this should not be an issue. Been in a league for 11 years without a single veto. This is the first year we have had any issues ( a few vacant owners). It's all about who you play with. Be sure to rub your winnings in the "gutless" owners face before you leave the league and find one with people you trust.

For those that have somebody outside their league as commish, are these annonymous people that nobody knows? People of high character beyond playing favorites?

I understand the basic principle but wonder what prevents the commish from playing favorites with the people he knows better or likes more? Or being bought off (big $$ leagues).

And regarding Delusions of Grandeur talking about having a vote, what certainty is there that the commish would follow the desires of the leauge? They're probably the only one that can make the trade happen now, and they've already sided with Mr. Oh No SJax might be hurt.

Edited by stevegrab

And regarding Delusions of Grandeur talking about having a vote, what certainty is there that the commish would follow the desires of the leauge? They're probably the only one that can make the trade happen now, and they've already sided with Mr. Oh No SJax might be hurt.

Is the commish the unquestioned dictator in your leagues? In every league I'm in the commish answers to the league and enforces the rules that they've laid out... Only if there is a dispute not covered in the rules should the commish have the right to use his discretion (and even then I think a good commish gets input from the league if it's ambiguous). In a case like this where it's written in the rules, why shouldn't the league be able to demand that he enforces the rules that they're laid out?

If this is a guy they've chosen as a trustworthy commish, then I'd like to think he won't be so stubborn as to not listen to the league when they tell him he's doing something beyond what he's allowed to do in THEIR rules. To often commishes act like it's their league and others just play in it. By paying your entry fee, it's jsut as much yours as everyone elses, and he's bound to uphold the rules you all lay out.

Is the commish the unquestioned dictator in your leagues? In every league I'm in the commish answers to the league and enforces the rules that they've laid out... Only if there is a dispute not covered in the rules should the commish have the right to use his discretion (and even then I think a good commish gets input from the league if it's ambiguous). In a case like this where it's written in the rules, why shouldn't the league be able to demand that he enforces the rules that they're laid out?

If this is a guy they've chosen as a trustworthy commish, then I'd like to think he won't be so stubborn as to not listen to the league when they tell him he's doing something beyond what he's allowed to do in THEIR rules. To often commishes act like it's their league and others just play in it. By paying your entry fee, it's jsut as much yours as everyone elses, and he's bound to uphold the rules you all lay out.

No, actually in our league the commishes sit back and pretty much let things go. My point is, if the league says "hey screw that allow that trade to happen" what power do they have to make the commish follow through? If you use a league management site the commish has the power and nobody else. How do you force him to implement this trade?

He's out of line and should never had vetoed. And the owner who asked to have the trade vetoed after accepting is a loser.

No, actually in our league the commishes sit back and pretty much let things go. My point is, if the league says "hey screw that allow that trade to happen" what power do they have to make the commish follow through? If you use a league management site the commish has the power and nobody else. How do you force him to implement this trade?

He's out of line and should never had vetoed. And the owner who asked to have the trade vetoed after accepting is a loser.

If after breaking the rules and being chastised by the league for it, he still doesn't comply, then it's time to look to blow up the league and hope he's not the one in charge of holding the money too (yet another reason to use leaguesafe).

I mean yeah, of course he can be a total dick and say "screw you guys and screw the rules", but that's not really a situation you can prepare for.