[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Ideas for our league in 2012

archiebonker

We have a 16 team / 4 Division PPR league (3) keeper league. Have a starting lineup of 1 coach , 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1K,1Def.

Can't wait to hear some of the ideas

Thanks.

What is your bench size?

Right now the problem we are having is that we went with 16 teams this year and its been leaving less and less to pickup on Waivers. It's been a good season though, very competitive. But again, I think there is always alot of work to be done to make a perfect league and I like hearing all the new idea's.

I am in a 16 team league with starting requirements of 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D. After this season, we are changing our starting requirements to 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1K, 1D. That will help with bye weeks if a team wants to start 1 RB and 3 WR or if team wants to draft WR and roll that way the whole season. It will make for good strategy and planning. Our bench size is 4 players. During the bye week periods, it is increased to 5. When the bye weeks end, 16 players are dropped back into the pool. It works pretty well and there is an ok player pool to chose from.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that idea about 4 and then 5 on by weeks.

We play with Double headers in 5 weeks of the season. I put together a schedule (after alot of scrap paper and number crunching haha) that has each team play each other once and teams in your division twice (4 divisions). All double header weeks are not on bye weeks either and I some how got the division games in the first 3 weeks and the last 3 weeks.

We have a starting lineup this year of 1 coach, 1QB , 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K and 1Def

Thinking about a flex next year instead of 3WR

Yes, with a 16-team league, you really should have at least 1, and probably 2 flexes... 3WRs is definitely too many required, IMO, as it's tough enough to have enough WRs to go around in a 12 team league, let alone 16... Same for 2RBs, where teams might have to start straight garbage with 32 required starters... You want to give people more options to build a strong team when there is more demand than supply at certain positions.

1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2 FLEX is a format I've used in several big leagues and I think it's ideal for larger leagues...

Edited by delusions of granduer

Right now the problem we are having is that we went with 16 teams this year and its been leaving less and less to pickup on Waivers. It's been a good season though, very competitive. But again, I think there is always alot of work to be done to make a perfect league and I like hearing all the new idea's.

Easiest solution to that is to reduce the number or rosters spots by 1-2. We have 12 teams, start 9 and have 18 man roster with no position requirements. Many keep only a single K/D and even TE (or QB). That means tons of backup and sleeper RB/WR are on the bench, and waivers are slim. Doesn't stop some people as even with $2 per roster move (any player added to roster) there are still a lot of moves each week.

Not sure how you do your playoffs, but we have a 12 team league with the top 8 playing for the SuperToe Trophy (yes the old kicker where you smash his head). The bottom 4 play for the Toilet Bowl (yes, we have an actual toilet seat that's signed each year). Finishing order of the TB determines the draft order next year. This keeps the bottom teams from tanking knowing they still have a chance to play for the #1 pick.

Hey there, good to hear from you. Well, we have a very similar version. 4 Division winners go through and the next best 4 records play in Da Man playoffs. The 8 teams that don't make it go into the playoffs go into what we call the Benchwarmers playoffs. The better you do in here the better draft pick you get the next year. Very similar to what you have and for the same reasons. Winner of that bracket gets top pick.

I faced the same challenge as commish a few years back. I added pool betting based on spreads from aggregate projections per team. It was a blast! We used CBS so the spreads were consistent based on our league scoring. It got guys back involved. Especially those who were out of playoff contention later in the season. We limited the bets per game so no one lost their house.

Its great fun. The word got out and more guys want to join our league each year.

A couple ideas....

1) You could go to doubleheaders every week. That's what we do now.

2) Going further, I'm going tto propose to our leagiue that we take that a step further next year and go to an "all-play" format so that each team competes against every other team each week. So in a 12 team league, you could go 11-0 or 0-11 in a given week. To me, this represents a more fair way of determing where you actualyl do stack up against the rest of the league. Takes those "bad beats" out of play where you take a loss only because you played the highest scoring team. So instead of going 0-1, you'd go 10-1 in a 12 team league.

your league ignores 50% of Football by not using IDPs. My leagues were reluctant at first but once we tried it we loved it and it makes fantasy much more interesting and challenging; never looked back in our rear view mirror. Non IDP leagues seem so dull and boring now.

Edited by Dcat

We went to Double headers for the first time this year. With 16 teams and 4 Divisions. I ended up setting up 5 Double head weeks (1-3 and 11 +12) This way each team played each team once and the guys in your Division twice

As for the IDP league. I would love too do that. But I don't know if some of the guys in our league are ready for that. We have replaced a few guys in the league that are pretty new to FF. But it's a idea for the future.

Thanks , great hearing all these ideas.

Oh , ok... makes sense. I guess MFL has the option to set up bid system for Waivers?

Yes it does.

And yes, worst record or I have even seen some leagues set it up where whomever placed the bid in earliest got the player, though that required a lot more work on the commishes part as I do not believe it is a setting in MFL (or any other site I am aware of)

Hey, here's another question for you. I'm thinking after 7 years it might be time to handout awards. Right now I built a very nice website for our league and have banners and a slide that reminds everyone the Champs from last year every time they open the site.

Just wanted to hear if you guys have some cool rewards for guys in your league. I was thinking of ordering Beer Mugs (Glass) and get them engraved with team and league name.

your league ignores 50% of Football by not using IDPs. My leagues were reluctant at first but once we tried it we loved it and it makes fantasy much more interesting and challenging; never looked back in our rear view mirror. Non IDP leagues seem so dull and boring now.

I like this cat.

What is your bench size?

I am in a 16 team league with starting requirements of 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D. After this season, we are changing our starting requirements to 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1K, 1D. That will help with bye weeks if a team wants to start 1 RB and 3 WR or if team wants to draft WR and roll that way the whole season. It will make for good strategy and planning. Our bench size is 4 players. During the bye week periods, it is increased to 5. When the bye weeks end, 16 players are dropped back into the pool. It works pretty well and there is an ok player pool to chose from.

Can I ask how you set the league to have one extra player on the roster on bye weeks? Does MFL have some type of setting?

Having a coach on the roster is akin to having team Ds just a bit more broad. Having played in a league before that drafted a coach and rewarded or punished much the same way you are currently doing it is in reality drafting a team based on how many wins you think they will post. Although not a huge impact, it does create another factor when drafting as well as the impact on some owners attempting to play match-ups week to week.

As for new/different things we're doing in other leagues...

After some discussion this past off-season with some friends that wanted something a bit more interesting and competitive we came up with a couple additions to the "normal" league format that have worked out pretty well so far.

- We have a weekly position competition for highest scoring individual at a particular position. Wk 1 - QB, wk 2 - RB, Wk 3 - WR and so on. After you have gone through each position on the roster it starts over.

- Last 6 weeks of the season we have a high/low score competition.

The idea behind both is that there is something to play for every week even if you're out of the hunt. Rewards for each are flexible of course depending on how "interesting" your leaguemates want it to be.

Any other ideas out there? Always good to hear what other leagues have tried or add to what everyone is talking about on this subject so far.

Lot of cool ideas here.

I am in five leagues, four of them have pretty close to standard rosters, all with 9 starting positions and at least 6 bench spots. The other league, I joined three years ago. It is a 14-team league with eight starting positions and only two bench spots. This forces all owners to make tough roster decisions each week. The league was started by guys who were tired of being in leagues where the ww was always thin, and many of the teams in the league stood pat most of the time, and there wasn't enough strategy on a week-to-week basis.

Everyone I ever tell about this league feels that only two bench spots is too drastic. There are even owners within the league that feel this way, but we have voted to add one more bench spot in each of the last three years, and it gets voted down every time.

I have to admit, this is the league that I spend the most time on, enjoy the most, and want to win the worst, even though the purses are similar. I will remain in this league above any of the others that I am in. Other owners in this league tell me the same thing. As an owner, It is definitely the most challenging. If you want to draft your team and then sit back and relax, this is not the league for you.

Even if you feel that two bench spots is too drastic, going with fewer definitely makes the league more fun, IMO. And I love the idea of blind ww bidding, I'm going to suggest it for this league.

Edited by SecondString