[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Suh

piratesownninjas

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sick of all the complaining about hits. The NFL is getting soft. I would love to get back to the old era when players were tough and took hits as well as deliver. This included many quarterbacks.

Suh is an extremely gifted 300 pound man with skills that have never been seen. Hard to turn on and off. You have a QB in the open field running, he should be fair game like any other player. If he slides as he's getting hit, this will happen.

With that being said, Suh will need to control the violence or it will be a short career for him.

he barely touched Cutler's helmet and it popped off. and Cutler was a runner at that point and should be treated like one.

:shakeshead:

Did you even see the play???

:sigh:

I watched it a couple times, didn't look necessarily dirty. Looked a little violent because his helmet went flying. I didn't see what is being said happen.

I understand that these arent just mean old drunks who smoke on the sidelines anymore. These are guys bread to be athletes from pee wee, but they make good money to play a game for a living. And frankly all this coddling makes the game less exciting to watch. If our gladiators can't do battle, then who will?

And it is disgusting how the NBA lockout can happen, or that guy from the Yankees can make 160 mil in 5 years, with the pay that most the football players get. But they still make dream money to play a game for a living.

The flag on the Briggs hit on Megatron was weak too -- looked like a good play to me (coming from a Calvin fan too)

I was shocked the Bears left Forte in as long as they did, given it was a blowout and it was getting nasty.

Does anyone know what happened to Megatron on his final end zone target? He didn't play after and they were talking concussion, but haven't seen anything on it.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but it looked like kind of a weird fluke thing. Suh was trying to punch at the ball with his right hand while using his left to grab on to whatever he could in the tackle. Cutler did a wierd kind of half-side slide thing when #54 came up to hit him from the front (while Suh was mid way through reaching for the ball with his right and grabbing for whatever with his left. The results was Suh's hand got the helmet but I don't think that was what he was specifically trying to do. Kind of a freak thing as you don't really expect a runner to side slide mid tackle. Here is the replay I'm going off of (slower replay at .38 sec mark)

I have no dog in this fight, but to me Suh's intent there was to pull Cutler's head off. And there were a couple times in the game where Suh would shove guys after the whistle, and you also get the sense his intent is to hurt people. The several games where I've watched him, the guy plays dirty.

Just my .02.

It popped off because a 300 pound monster grabbed it and twisted it off.

drama queen. :wacko:

lions got their ass handed to them and acted like punks. that much is beyond dispute.

also, to me suh is a borderline dirty player. I don't see the play where cutler's helmet came off as a dirty play.

Edited by Azazello1313

Suh's issue is that he tackles high. Doing so lends itself to bad things happening to the ball carrier's head.

Sometimes, this is dirty. Sometimes, it is not as dirty as some people make it out to be.

Suh likes to grab ball carriers up high and throw them. Had Cutler not ducked down, that's what would have happened in that case.

I think that the Bears' reaction to the play sums it up. If they really thought that Suh was trying to rip off Cutler's head, they would responded with greater vigor.

Suh's issue is that he tackles high. Doing so lends itself to bad things happening to the ball carrier's head.

Sometimes, this is dirty. Sometimes, it is not as dirty as some people make it out to be.

Suh likes to grab ball carriers up high and throw them. Had Cutler not ducked down, that's what would have happened in that case.

I think that the Bears' reaction to the play sums it up. If they really thought that Suh was trying to rip off Cutler's head, they would responded with greater vigor.

I agree with this. I would love to defend Suh as he has added some "nasty" to a team that needed it, but he needs to adjust his technique. Throwing dudes down like ragdolls is impressive, but it leads to personal fouls and retaliation against the whole team.

This type of play used to be applauded in the NFL as toughness. Now it is just seen as dirty and will not be tolerated by the league. anytime a helmet flies off, there will be a 15 yard penalty and possible fine/suspension.

My Lions looked like spoiled players with no discipline yeaterday. We got it handed to us and couldn't handle it. 50 years of losing should have prepared us better for a spanking.

It's a good point. Later in the clip I posted you can see that Suh is nowhere near the crowd that is going after each other. He kind of calmly strolled over at the end but there wasn't any pushing or shoving. I think Billick was in the booth and he even said that he thought that Suh was a good player that plays fiercely but isn't dirty (for what that's worth). I think if Suh wasn't trying to knock the ball out (which detroit obviously needed turnovers and the Bears have always tried to do as much as possible) or if that other player didn't come up, it would have been a far more normal tackle.

I know as fans we always want to see big hits and what not, but if you want to see the toughness of eras past, be careful what you wish for. The game is so fast nowadays. Back then everything ran in slow motion. Could you imagine Ronnie Lott's hits with the speed of Ed Reed or Polamalu? Guys would get seriously hurt! You gotta protect investments and put rules in to help that. But if you ask me, the fines are out of control and they're doing a terrible job of recognizing over the top hits.

It popped off because a 300 pound monster grabbed it and twisted it off.

If I had a avatar with an NFC North QB in it then I would feel like this too.

The Lions/Suh are a little dirty, but given many many years of being the Motor City Kitties I can tell you that I will take dirty/feared over being a pushover 10 times out of 10.

Also the Pack may want to get the NFC wrapped up so that they can rest Rodgers in week 17.

I read somewhere that Mike Pereira also previously tweeted that he's been wrong lately. :wacko:

Like the play where Cutler fumbled (ball being stripped) but it looked like a pass and was ruled incomplete on the field. He said you can't overrule the incomplete. Announcers asked "so where do you spot the ball?" Incomplete, back at the line of scrimmage. Then the official came out and explained it would be spotted at the spot of the fumble, since it was a forward fumble and not recovered by either team."

Pereria is on Fox for entertainment purposes. While he has good incite what he believes or thinks should be called doesn't matter much. He is no longer an NFL official or part of that group. The longer removed he is, the more out of touch he is.

(Or maybe it was in the Browns-Rams game, but you get the point)

I have seen highlights of some really questionable plays by Suh, and considered him a borderline dirty player with a certified nasty streak. So I expected to watch the video and be outraged. Nope. He grabs Cutler's shoulder and his hand slips off onto the helmet, which promptly comes off. Not intentional, not dirty, no flag and no fine deserved there. The helmet goes flying because Suh's momentum and spinning motion, not because he's trying to tear his head off. On the bright side, you won't have to wait long for another questionable play from Suh to get pissed off about if that's your thing.

I am sick of all the complaining about hits. The NFL is getting soft. I would love to get back to the old era when players were tough and took hits as well as deliver. This included many quarterbacks.

Suh is an extremely gifted 300 pound man with skills that have never been seen. Hard to turn on and off. You have a QB in the open field running, he should be fair game like any other player. If he slides as he's getting hit, this will happen.

With that being said, Suh will need to control the violence or it will be a short career for him.

The old era also led to players having serious health problems that led to deaths far to early. Guys being crippled or dead in there 50's is crazy. The league may take some things too far, like throwing a flag on any safety that makes a tackle over the middle, but you've got to protect these guys .

If I had a avatar with an NFC North QB in it then I would feel like this too.

The Lions/Suh are a little dirty, but given many many years of being the Motor City Kitties I can tell you that I will take dirty/feared over being a pushover 10 times out of 10.

Also the Pack may want to get the NFC wrapped up so that they can rest Rodgers in week 17.

I'm far more worried about Julius Peppers or Jared Allen. Elite players who aren't classless bags of dicks that play the Pack twice a year. I've long admired Urlacher for years as he's wreaked havoc against Green Bay. My disdain for Suh has nothing to do with him being a Lion, but with him taking over for the Harrison's as the dirtiest player. I've also rooted for Stafford since his days as a Highland Park Scot.

I completely understand your point in taking a classless, dirty defense that wins over the the garbage you guys have been put through, but to defend Suh's play other than dirty is off. Yes, Suh has the talent to be the best DT in the league for years to come, but he can do it without the cheap shots.

I have seen highlights of some really questionable plays by Suh, and considered him a borderline dirty player with a certified nasty streak. So I expected to watch the video and be outraged. Nope. He grabs Cutler's shoulder and his hand slips off onto the helmet, which promptly comes off. Not intentional, not dirty, no flag and no fine deserved there. The helmet goes flying because Suh's momentum and spinning motion, not because he's trying to tear his head off. On the bright side, you won't have to wait long for another questionable play from Suh to get pissed off about if that's your thing.

This may work other than the fact that Suh has a track record of going after and trying to remove QB's helmets.

That Suh play was far from dirty. I've seen him act like a classless dooosh and make dirty plays. This was neither, and just because he's done it in the past doesn't mean you should let that factor in to your view of other plays.

Oh, and I hate the f*cking Lions and the f*cking Bears, so I'm about as neutral as they're gonna come. Oh, and I'm Swiss too, more neutrailty!