[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Suh

piratesownninjas

That is not a natural extension of the argument that BB is making. Just in case you care.

Implying that people who are living their life in a reckless manner may invite things like this to happen is not the same as saying everyone who gets into an accident is living their life in a reckless manner. Again, just in case you care.

Mind you, I'm not implying this is or isn't the case.

....thanks for clearing that up.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ndamukong Suh named America’s most charitable athlete

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 24, 2011, 12:15 PM EST

Getty Images

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh isn’t only the dirtiest player in the NFL. He’s also the most charitable player in the NFL.

The Giving Back Fund, which advises people in the sports and entertainment industries on philanthropy, has released its annual list of the 30 celebrities who gave the largest charitable gifts, according to public records. Suh’s donation of $2.6 million to his alma mater, the University of Nebraska, made him the most generous athlete in America, and the sixth-most generous celebrity of any kind.

Suh was one of two NFL players in the Giving Back 30, joined by Giants quarterback Eli Manning and his wife Abby, who donated $1 million to their alma mater, the University of Mississippi. Also on the list was model Gisele Bundchen, wife of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who gave $1.5 million to the Red Cross for Haiti relief.

Since we’re Seinfeld fans around here, we’ll also note that Jerry Seinfeld checks in at No. 11 on the list with $1.8 million in donations. And actress Jami Gertz, who famously told Elaine Benes that she couldn’t spare a square, is considerably more generous with her money than she is with her toilet paper: She and her husband Tony Ressler, who runs an asset management firm, sit atop the list with $10.6 million in giving through their Ressler Gertz Foundation.

Ndamukong Suh named America’s most charitable athlete

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 24, 2011, 12:15 PM EST

Getty Images

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh isn’t only the dirtiest player in the NFL. He’s also the most charitable player in the NFL.

The Giving Back Fund, which advises people in the sports and entertainment industries on philanthropy, has released its annual list of the 30 celebrities who gave the largest charitable gifts, according to public records. Suh’s donation of $2.6 million to his alma mater, the University of Nebraska, made him the most generous athlete in America, and the sixth-most generous celebrity of any kind.

Suh was one of two NFL players in the Giving Back 30, joined by Giants quarterback Eli Manning and his wife Abby, who donated $1 million to their alma mater, the University of Mississippi. Also on the list was model Gisele Bundchen, wife of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who gave $1.5 million to the Red Cross for Haiti relief.

Since we’re Seinfeld fans around here, we’ll also note that Jerry Seinfeld checks in at No. 11 on the list with $1.8 million in donations. And actress Jami Gertz, who famously told Elaine Benes that she couldn’t spare a square, is considerably more generous with her money than she is with her toilet paper: She and her husband Tony Ressler, who runs an asset management firm, sit atop the list with $10.6 million in giving through their Ressler Gertz Foundation.

I dunno, giving big bucks to his Universioty (probably directed to the footbasll program?) isn't my idea of "charity". (Although still a good tax deduction). Now Mrs Brady's gift to Red Croiss for Haiti - that's impressive.

I dunno, giving big bucks to his Universioty (probably directed to the footbasll program?) isn't my idea of "charity". (Although still a good tax deduction). Now Mrs Brady's gift to Red Croiss for Haiti - that's impressive.

In case you're wondering, $2 million was for the athletic department for the strength and conditioning program and $600,000 for the College of Engineering for scholarships.

In case you're wondering, $2 million was for the athletic department for the strength and conditioning program and $600,000 for the College of Engineering for scholarships.

That's what I mean. There are a lot of hungry kids and out-of-work people who couilda used a few of those bucks.

(PS I'm a redneck Republican!)

That's what I mean. There are a lot of hungry kids and out-of-work people who couilda used a few of those bucks.

Agree 100%. It is still great that he gave what he did but knowing how it was distributed totally agree it could have and should have went to better places. $2M for "strength and conditioning?" Are you kidding me? I wonder if he stipulated that or they just decided that was how they would use it.

The Nebraska football program is probably the most important thing in his life up to this point. Hard to knock a guy for donating in something he believes in. As mentioned he will get a tax deduction and probably will get a wing named after him or maybe the street to the practice field or something too.... so not completely charitable

It cracks me up when people, particularly those whose largest donations to anything consist of what they throw into a kettle at Christmas time, criticize the donations of others. :wacko:

Look at yourself. You can feed a kid in Africa for a few bucks a year. Do you really need that big house or that $35k car or that $1,500 stainless steel refrigerator or that that $700 set of golf clubs? Did you really need to buy your wife those diamond earrings for Christmas?

Your money can just about always be "better" spent.

So what percentage of your salary do you give to charitable organizations and how is it allocated? Share with us so we know what an upstanding guy you are (or aren't).

It's weak to criticize what people give and how the money is directed, no matter what you do. Charity is charity. It's his money to donate or not, and donate as he sees fit.

Furd nailed it...