[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mole recipe

Sugar Magnolia

I use Diana Kennedy's Mole Poblano

It's the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

And with all due respect to Kid Cid, whose opinion I certainly value, I couldn't imagine straining a mole unless I was trying to do some fancy Nouvelle adaptation in a particular setting. Mole is mole. And it's got nuts and seeds, and all kinds of things that belong there. Little grainy bits and all.

Edited by detlef

I find moles to be tough, stringy and they have a very very gamey taste.

A good sauce should help that though! :wacko:

My cat and Australian Shepherd like them raw and with no sauce. My Aussie likes them still alive, but my cat likes them dead and curing for about 20 minutes, but still warm. Maybe you should try them raw :tup: My Aussie loves cat and deer chit most of all, so not sure if you should take her advice.

Ugh, way too time consuming Cid and Det for tonight, but will back file them. My beans are cooking in the slow cooker :wacko:

That's the thing with mole. It's not difficult, but it makes a mess and takes time. You also don't want to cheat. When you're frying all the almonds and raisins and such. It says to do them one at a time in batches, they mean it. Don't just stew it all at once.

A few words of advice if you ever take the plunge. Make a bunch extra of the chile paste and freeze the rest in ziplocs portioned out in amounts enough to make another batch. Knowing you've got that waiting for you in the freezer will make you more inclined to deal with the rest the next time. You'll also find other things to do with the chile paste. It's great in BBQ sauce, beans, and also makes a great sauce for fish if you saute a ton of garlic, add the paste, some salt, and lemon.

That's the thing with mole. It's not difficult, but it makes a mess and takes time. You also don't want to cheat. When you're frying all the almonds and raisins and such. It says to do them one at a time in batches, they mean it. Don't just stew it all at once.

A few words of advice if you ever take the plunge. Make a bunch extra of the chile paste and freeze the rest in ziplocs portioned out in amounts enough to make another batch. Knowing you've got that waiting for you in the freezer will make you more inclined to deal with the rest the next time. You'll also find other things to do with the chile paste. It's great in BBQ sauce, beans, and also makes a great sauce for fish if you saute a ton of garlic, add the paste, some salt, and lemon.

This +100. Good Mole takes time and love. Though in a pinch you can find some really decent mole at your local mercado. All are a bit different, yet similar, but most places will be glad to let you taste test first.