[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Gresham TD

frenzal rhomb

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He had both hands on the ball, one foot down before end zone, second foot into end zone, falls to ground because of a defender, ground causes him to loose control of ball.

TD

you saw it all correctly...just not interpreting what is and isn't a TD per the rules

Not according to the rules.

This

Edited by keggerz

even if you are kidding you know you are going to go and make me check :wacko:

Also check Note 1 to what is a catch. Article 7. IMHO, he was not attempting to secure possession when the ground caused him to lose control. He already had possession.

I guess I'm just seeing the play as done when he crosses the plane with control.

Edited by Clubfoothead

Here is right before the catch

Clearly no possession yet with his left foot down on the ground already, his first of two steps.

This is the exact point in which he first established possession of the ball

Clearly over the white line. The catch is established in the end zone and then he goes to the ground. Must maintain possession. Pretty obvious and the right call. You are wrong Clubfoothead.

Also check Note 1 to what is a catch. Article 7. IMHO, he was not attempting to secure possession when the ground caused him to lose control. He already had possession.

I guess I'm just seeing the play as done when he crosses the plane with control.

that is just it...if you are deemed to be going to the ground...possession isn't possession until you basically get up and can hand the ball to the ref (or spike it etc)

NFL has to do away with this rule. When a player displays control of the ball, it's a catch. He wasn't juggling the ball or anything. He had control until he went out of bounds. It cost the Bengals a shot in OT and it's stupid.

I applaud that you actually referred to the rule book :wacko: (seriously, no sarcasm)

Only if you ignore Section 38

Section 38 Touchdown

TOUCHDOWN

A Touchdown is the situation in which any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, is on,

above, or behind the opponent’s goal line (plane), provided it is not a touchback (11-2).

The bolded is the issue...he doesn't have possession until he gets up with the ball...because he was going to the ground

I know it is confusing, but he didn't have possession, according to the rules.

section 7

CATCH

A catch is made when a player inbounds secures possession of a pass, kick, or fumble in flight (See 8-1-3).

Note 1: It is a catch if in the process of attempting to catch the ball, a player secures control of the ball prior to

the ball touching the ground and that control is maintained after the ball has touched the ground.

Note 2: In the field of play, if a catch of a forward pass has been completed, and there is contact by a defender

causing the ball to come loose before the runner is down by contact, it is a fumble, and the ball remains

alive. In the end zone, the same action is a touchdown, since the receiver completed the catch beyond the

goal line prior to the loss of possession, and the ball is dead when the catch is completed.

Here is more to help:

COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS

Article 3 Completed or Intercepted Pass. A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward

pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

(:tup: touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

© maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (:lol: have been fulfilled, to enable him to

perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it,

advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

Note 1: It is not necessary that he commit such an act, provided that he maintains control of the ball long

enough to do so.

Note 2: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of

possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.

If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body other than his hands

to the ground, or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch.

Item 1: Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or

without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting

the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches

the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching

the ground, the pass is complete.

Item 2: Sideline Catches. If a player goes to the ground out-of-bounds (with or without contact by an

opponent) in the process of making a catch at the sideline, he must maintain complete and continuous

control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, or the pass is incomplete.

Item 3: End Zone Catches. If a player controls the ball while in the end zone, both feet, or any part of his body

other than his hands, must be completely on the ground before losing control, or the pass is incomplete.

Note: In the field of play, if a catch of a forward pass has been completed, after which contact by a defender

causes the ball to become loose before the runner is down by contact, it is a fumble, and the ball

remains alive. In the end zone, the same action is a touchdown, since the receiver completed the catch

beyond the goal line prior to the loss of possession, and the ball is dead when the catch is completed.

NFL has to do away with this rule. When a player displays control of the ball, it's a catch. He wasn't juggling the ball or anything. He had control until he went out of bounds. It cost the Bengals a shot in OT and it's stupid.

Can't say I disagree with you, but with how the rule is written it was the right call.

I think that at times it is hard for some people to look at things objectively because they own the guy or are playing against him...or it is their homer team that it benefits or hurts...the officials, with as much scrutiny and flack they get don't/shouldn't have those issues.

Here is right before the catch

Clearly no possession yet with his left foot down on the ground already, his first of two steps.

This is the exact point in which he first established possession of the ball

Clearly over the white line. The catch is established in the end zone and then he goes to the ground. Must maintain possession. Pretty obvious and the right call. You are wrong Clubfoothead.

:wacko:

The only argument was that there was more than slight motion. There was not.

I agree. In the EZ, when a player makes a catch, he should have control at the instant any part of his body other than his hands hits the ground. At that point, he has scored, IMO.

I don't see any point in dragging it out beyond that. He's down. Period.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

I agree. In the EZ, when a player makes a catch, he should have control at the instant any part of his body other than his hands hits the ground. At that point, he has scored, IMO.

I don't see any point in dragging it out beyond that. He's down. Period.

I understand everyones point but doesnt the fact that he has possession when he steps OB negate the need to control it to the ground. Its a catch, he steps out with possession, then falls to the ground

He didn't even have his second foot down until after he crossed the goal line. He then went to the ground and didn't maintain possession. The NFL has been calling this an incompletion time and time again for a number of years now.

This would be the second, which, I guess is a number.

I think that at times it is hard for some people to look at things objectively because they own the guy or are playing against him...or it is their homer team that it benefits or hurts...the officials, with as much scrutiny and flack they get don't/shouldn't have those issues.

This.

rule should be changed, IMO it should be

- If possession is had outside the endzone, once the ball crosses the plane it is a touchdown, ball does not have to be secured going to the ground

- If possession is made inside the endzone, control of the ball must be kept going to the ground

why can't it just be that simple?