[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League based on points rather then W-L record

gnfishin

Does anyone know of a site in which instead of head to head W-L standings, a teams record is determined by getting a point for a head to head win and can earn an additional point for having one of the top (in our leagues case 6 of 12) scoring teams for the week.

We have been doing this for 18 years now and as usual there are the normal grumblings from the owners who score well weekly but they happen to play against one of the highest scoring teams.....the dreaded points against leader. With a system like this it would at the very least put the guy who drew the toughest schedule into a tie with the guy who scores below average but has an easy schedule.

Does anyone know of a site in which instead of head to head W-L standings, a teams record is determined by getting a point for a head to head win and can earn an additional point for having one of the top (in our leagues case 6 of 12) scoring teams for the week.

We have been doing this for 18 years now and as usual there are the normal grumblings from the owners who score well weekly but they happen to play against one of the highest scoring teams.....the dreaded points against leader. With a system like this it would at the very least put the guy who drew the toughest schedule into a tie with the guy who scores below average but has an easy schedule.

It would be easy enough to do on your own even if you use a standard W-L league set-up from a website to actually run the league.

One of my leagues is exploring a points system a la NASCAR, where you get points based on your finish in each week's "race". Some portion of the total pot could be sliced up 16 ways and given to each week's winner. With 3-4 weeks to go, the leaders could reset their points to something that still rewards the 1st seed with a bit of a head start but resets it so that, regardless of how far behind the 4th place guy was in points going into the "play-offs", he's still got a puncher's chance of winning it all.

Of course, all teams still play to the end because there's still the weekly prize money. Further the guys who are eliminated still totally matter because they can affect where the leaders rank each week.

The other good thing about this is that it doesn't ultimately come down to who has the best week 16 for the money. If a great team puts up high totals in weeks 13-15, they may be able to survive having their stud pulled at half time of week 16 or some such and still win the jackpot.

This also does away with unbalanced schedules.

Edited by detlef

I'm going to be advocating an "all play" format next year where you play everyone else every week. In a 12 team league you could go 11-0, 0-11, or anywhere in between in any given week.

To me, this provides a much more accurate reflection where you actually do stack up against the league on a weeky basis and by extension, for the year as well.

If nothing else, I'm going to award money based on this and get rid of some of the other stuff we award money too. MFL tracks it already anyhow.

I was brainstorming about the "perfect" scoring system over the weekend after getting burned by the scheduling gods in one league. I was thinking for a 12-team league, simply give the top 6 scorers a W, and the bottom 6 an L every week. No divisions, top 4 teams advance. This would reward the most consistently high scorers and remove bad beats because of matchups from the equation. In said league I'd be 7-4 instead of 4-7 right now.

I was thinking for a 12-team league, simply give the top 6 scorers a W, and the bottom 6 an L every week.

Hmm. I like that idea. I may try that next year. I've thought about doing an all-points no W/L league but most people relate to W-L records more than total points.

In one of my leagues, 50% of the end of season pool goes to the top 3 finishes in the playoffs and 50% goes to the top 3 finishes in total points. We also do weekly payouts to the top 3 scores. This helps even out some of the bad luck due to scheduling.

I think just changing how you decide who makes the play-offs only tackles part of the problem, because you typically revert right back to the same system you're trying to avoid once the play-offs start.

Sure, at least you've narrowed it down to truly deserving teams, but it's still messed up.

I recall a year where I was in two leagues and was #1 seed in both. That year, I lost both semis despite outscoring the winner of the other semi by a huge stretch. So there you have it, the bad beat, and at the worst time.

Further, it also doesn't change the fact that you're relying on one week to decide everything and it's a week where some teams have already packed it in and some others may be resting their starters. Doesn't that seem odd? Even if there were no issues with resting starters or playing it close to the vest and all that, just think of the one week thing. FF is not like any other game where you're actually competing against someone. You're not competing against anyone. You're just putting out good players and hoping for the best. Even in a sport like golf, where you're powerless to do anything to affect your opponent, you still have the chance to "beat" them. If they make a great shot, you have the chance to do so yourself.

If my opponent has VJax go off in the afternoon game, it's not up to me to "respond" by having my stud WR answer in the night game. It's either going to happen or it's not. So, assuming the goal is to reward the person who did the best job, all year, from the draft, to FA and trades, to picking who among his players he should start, then having it all come down to one game seems odd.

Which is why the points chase system where you scoop off the leaders at one point and have them fight it out over a period of weeks, may be best.

I think just changing how you decide who makes the play-offs only tackles part of the problem, because you typically revert right back to the same system you're trying to avoid once the play-offs start.

Not necessarily.

We have 8 teams make the playoffs. All-play you'd basically have the top 4 scoring teams advance. All-play the next week with the top 2 advancing and then head to head for the championship.

Seems like it'd work just fine.

Not necessarily.

We have 8 teams make the playoffs. All-play you'd basically have the top 4 scoring teams advance. All-play the next week with the top 2 advancing and then head to head for the championship.

Seems like it'd work just fine.

Well, that assumes that the league keeps the all play going. Which you should in some form. But it still makes one week too important, IMO. And how many teams do you have in your league? 8 teams make it?

I was brainstorming about the "perfect" scoring system over the weekend after getting burned by the scheduling gods in one league. I was thinking for a 12-team league, simply give the top 6 scorers a W, and the bottom 6 an L every week. No divisions, top 4 teams advance. This would reward the most consistently high scorers and remove bad beats because of matchups from the equation. In said league I'd be 7-4 instead of 4-7 right now.

I think that is how Victory points works at MFL..or close to it

Edited by keggerz

Has anyone ever gone away from a head-to-head format and regretted it? Total points scoring seems more fair from the standpoint that it would seem to more likely reward skill over luck over the long haul, but not having head-to-head battles would also remove some of the excitement week to week, wouldn't it? Just asking.

My local league switched from head-to-head to total points leaderboard in 1995 and will never go back.

Same here. My big money league rewards 92% of the pot to points. If you win the SB (i.e. H2H) you get your buy-in back. All other payouts go to points and that's my preferred league style.

CBS sportsline and MFL both accommodate a total points approach. Not sure of others.

I am in one league this year that uses a hybrid system.

We play all play, but also have a head to head matchup every week. The head to head matchup is worth three "games".

It is a 10 teamer, so you can go anywhere from 11-0 to 0-11 each week.

I am enjoying this format so far. It really keeps the whole league involved deep into the season. One 11-0 week will get your team healthy in a hurry.

I kind of like the staright up head to head system (although, I am getting hosed this year). It makes for great bantor when you can taunt your opponent individually each week. However, the tiebreaker is determined by overall pts and cash prize to overall pts leader. This year, I'm 3rd in pts and 5-6 record with only slight chance at playoffs (thanks AP). Last year, missed the overall pts by 12 and did not make playoffs. As my leaguemates reminded me, "it's not how many you score, but when you score them."

Sounds like some nifty different scoring systems. I'm in favor of them all. H2H is always gonna be the "Coke Classic" so to speak. And you can bemoan the fact that a lucky team.... the "on any given Sunday" team can win the Super Bowl in fantasy football, but that format is where FF came from. The roots.

But the total points and the other variations all make the true skill owner stand a much better chance of winning the SB, or at least the most money. (That is what it is about, or at least mostly). This hobby is great fun, but when you are in 6 leagues, this is still a bid'ness.

I play in 4 H2H and 2 leagues that are variations off of total points. And I like the variations of each. Being married to one format is like.........

well, it's like being married.

I am in one league this year that uses a hybrid system.

We play all play, but also have a head to head matchup every week. The head to head matchup is worth three "games".

It is a 10 teamer, so you can go anywhere from 11-0 to 0-11 each week.

I am enjoying this format so far. It really keeps the whole league involved deep into the season. One 11-0 week will get your team healthy in a hurry.

i like the hybrid idea. you get some head to head action :wacko: as well as not getting totally screwed by unlucky opponents.

i was tossing around the idea in my head of 1 pt for a win and then combine that with some kind of 'Nascar' system referenced earlier.

My local league switched from head-to-head to total points leaderboard in 1995 and will never go back.

+10000 - I would never play in a W-L league again. The "best" team is the team with the most total points at the end of the year not the team that was lucky enough to be the schedule makers BFF.

Has anyone ever gone away from a head-to-head format and regretted it? Total points scoring seems more fair from the standpoint that it would seem to more likely reward skill over luck over the long haul, but not having head-to-head battles would also remove some of the excitement week to week, wouldn't it? Just asking.

Our league does both. We have 3 divisions of 4 teams and reward the division winners. Then we have the normal playoffs and Super Bowl. The money is weighted heavily to the Total Points Champion and that team is the one that's recognized as the league Champion.

Total Points Leader win's $1,200.00. Division Champions win $125.00 and the Super Bowl winner receives $250.00. We also pay $80.00, each week (17), for the team that gets the high score of the week (keeps everyone's interest). Works great!

Edited by theprofessor

I kind of like the staright up head to head system (although, I am getting hosed this year). It makes for great bantor when you can taunt your opponent individually each week. However, the tiebreaker is determined by overall pts and cash prize to overall pts leader. This year, I'm 3rd in pts and 5-6 record with only slight chance at playoffs (thanks AP). Last year, missed the overall pts by 12 and did not make playoffs. As my leaguemates reminded me, "it's not how many you score, but when you score them."

This is my boat also, leading scorer in a 12 teamer and IF I hold on tonight I go to 6-5.. I just happen to be in "THAT" division where I am in first by one game..lol.. and yes, I own Rodgers !!