[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football Settings

D2TheRock

Hey guys,

So I'm very active in my ESPN FF league and I wanted to get my league to change some things and thought I'd see what other arguments people could provide me with for/against my change-ideas. I'm not sensitive, so please tell me if my ideas are just radical/stupid/ or simply can't be done (due to restrictions).

First off, I want to talk about the roster spots in my league. As you'll see in my sig, its a 12-team league and the roster breakdown is 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 D/ST, 1 K. Now, it's not that I hate this roster setup in all cases, but in a 12-team league, I hate it. The part I hate is the 3 WR set. I suggested to my league that we change 1 of the WR spots to a W/R. Some liked my idea and others said, let's just keep 3 WRs and add a flex spot. The whole reason I said to replace a WR with a flex is to create a little more balance to the league.

My argument: Regardless of how "well" you draft, some teams are bound to have more RBs than WRs, and vice versa. I think with a flex (instead of 3 WR), this allows the teams with more WR options to use that slot as a WR and the teams with more RBs to use that slot as a RB. Our leagues points make RBs and WRs relatively even, I'd say, if not giving the WR a slight advantage with .5 pts for a reception.

The next thing I want to talk (or rant, however you look at it) is the defense/ST scoring system. I know that defenses aren't as important to draft day, but they can be very vital to a win or loss in a regular season FF matchup. I think that under the normal scoring system, defenses are fairly irrelevant besides a positive matchup. I understand the reasoning behind using score as a determinant, but I think it is unfair in a way. I think a better measure of the defenses' performance is the yardage given up. Let's say there's a game between the Bills and the Pats (hypothetical) and I have the Bills D/ST and my opponent in fantasy has the Pats D/ST. The ending score is Pats 17, Bills 6. Now, if the Pats scores were all offensive, then they're bound to have a good amount of yardage against my defense and the yardage method of scoring still dictates how well I did. On the other hand, I know that if the Pats got a couple turnovers near the endzone, the score might not relate to the yardage given up by my defense. In this instance, I contemplated either softening the scoring scale (currently 0 PA: 10pts, 1-6 PA: 5 pts, 7-13: 3 pts, 14-17 PA: 1 pt, the rest become -1pts, -3 pts, -5 pts and -10 pts) and making the ranges go from 10 to 0, OR use a yardage allowed scale, OR use a system of both (not sure how that would work).

My argument: I'm not saying all games have defensive scores, but let's go back to that Bills/Pats scenario again. Let's say 14 of the Pats points were Int/Fum return TDs. Those 14 points go against MY defense, even though my defense didn't allow the yards or the points that become of the Int/Fum. Another solution is making only offensive and ST's scores against your defense, but I don't know if ESPN has that option.

Please people, I need some help with these two topics, because I want to make some changes for my league come next year. I appreciate any arguments/solutions for/against my points. Thanks in advance!

I share your sentiment about the D/ST points, I had a game where my defense had a shutout, but the offense threw a pick 6 that counted against my D/ST. Defensive scores should not count against the other defense that is not even on the field at the time. And you're right, not all games have defensive scores, but a helluva lot of them do, enough to make a difference. I'm sorry though, I can't tell you whether or not any providers have means to change the scoring on this.

On the flex position, I agree with you. There are usually more WR starting spots because there are simply more WR's to choose from. How many bench spots in this league? I would actually suggest one of two things (or both):

Only 8 starting spots instead of 9 with QB/RB/FLEX/WR/WR/TE/DST/K

No more than 4 bench spots

This will shrink the rosters and richen the ww, creating a lot more decisions and strategy week to week, which makes for a better league, more fun. I'm in a league with only two bench spots, which is drastic, but it also makes it more challenging, a lot more tough decisions week to week, and I enjoy it the most out of the five leagues I am in.

We used to have a flex spot but changed it to a 3rd WR back some years ago when there were still many stud RB. It was an attempt to balance things out. Now with many more average RB, people often carry more and leave their WR thinner. This makes injuries and byes harder to deal with. I'd be in favor of going back to 2WR and a single flex (RB/WR even TE). Not sure the rest of the league would agree.

As far as the D/ST scoring piece, I guess it depends how much of the defensive scoring equation is based on points allowed. We do from 0-4 points based on points allowed, 4 for a shutout, 0 for over 30. (We also 1 point per sack, fumble recovered and interception.) It would be hard to say "eliminate scores by the opposing teams defense", not sure if any of the league management sites could handle that. And if its going to be a manual thing then that makes more work for the commish and harder for teams to judge scores. I agree that yards are a more true inidicator of how good a defense is and more often used than "points allowed' since the defense doesn't allow defensive or special teams scores.

I agree to an extent with secondstring's point about fewer bench spots. His league is on one extreme (start 8, 2 bench) our league is on the other (start 9, 9 bench).

I share your sentiment about the D/ST points, I had a game where my defense had a shutout, but the offense threw a pick 6 that counted against my D/ST. Defensive scores should not count against the other defense that is not even on the field at the time.

That's a bad setting. All of my leagues only count scores against the DEFENSE or SPECIAL TEAMS. Points allowed by the offense aren't counted. In the scenario you describe above, your defense would only by charged with 1 point against (from the PAT after the pick 6)

That's a bad setting. All of my leagues only count scores against the DEFENSE or SPECIAL TEAMS. Points allowed by the offense aren't counted. In the scenario you describe above, your defense would only by charged with 1 point against (from the PAT after the pick 6)

All ESPN standard leagues are this way as far as i know.