[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So lets just say it, the Panthers are utterly TERRIBAD

LooGie

I knew coming into this year, the Panthers would be bad. I was looking for 6 wins...I expected 6 wins and would be happy with 6 wins, but all that was before any of us knew what Cam Newton was, and is capable of.

I understand injuries. I get that. I understand new coaches. I also get that.

And I understand rookie quarterbacks. I get that too. But nobody can deny that Cam Newton is playing as good as just about any rookie that has ever entered the NFL..in the history of it. Nobody can deny that the Panthers have extreme talent on the offenseive side of the ball, but also isn't full of nothing but slouches on the defensive side.

The talent is there. The ability is there. The rookie QB can be called "high power" and even considered a winner, even though we've got 2 wins.

So what the hell is the problem? I hate to say it, but I think the coaching is to blame. I just dont think Ron Rivera has whatever it is, and could be the main culprit giving us a season, that in my opinion, is more embarrassing than last year, simply because we've had the ability to win, but have been losing in laughable ways.

Big John could do his amazing search-fu until the cows come home, but I'm very confident he won't find any examples of me calling for a coach's head prematurely, and even this feels unfair to Rivera.

The fact is, we're losing games we could be winning. Hell, at the start of the season, i would've been happy to finish with 6 wins..but this season, we EASILY had the ability to pull out 8 wins. That, to me, is simply wrong, and disgusting. It's shameful. It's embarassing, and honestly, SAD to watch our offense get a double digit lead and fall flat on its face, while the defense becomes the biggest joke in the NFL for the entire second half of the game. it's simply...pitiful.

Please, tell me what is missing, and help me to understand where i should be directing my anger, because at the moment, it's directed a Ron. When a defensive mastermind comes to a team with a pretty good defense, and that pretty good defense turns into a sack of steaming crap, something is very, VERY wrong. And it's not because of those key injuries. Something else is very, VERY wrong.

I've begun to readjust my belief that Rivera is a defensive mastermind. When he arrived in SD after winning DCOY in Chicago, I was beyond thrilled. Yet the once and mighty Chargers run defense quickly turned into a laughing stock. Our backfield was also rotting away into shambles. I place some of the blame on AJ Smiths inability to repair it through the draft, instead sitting back satisfied with aquiring washed up, over the hill vets to plug in holes. Now...after seeing Rivera go to Carolina, its a repeat of what happened here in SD. Although I would like to add that your owner isn't the smartest cookie in the jar. D-Will...thats all I need to say about that. Imagine what kind of players you could have brought in without the biggest joke of a contract in recent memory.

Edited by tazinib1

Not a fan, but I live in NC and certainly get my fair share of Panthers talk. Going into this year, there was little about this team that said 8-8. They were suspect on D and then lost basically their best players on that side of the ball.

Where I think they went sideways was paying D Will. That's a lot of jack to tie up at a position that they were probably stronger at than any other. J Stew and the kid Goodsen would have been a fine enough tandem and they could have spent that money on the D.

Where I think they went sideways was paying D Will.
I didn't understand the resigning of D-Will at the time, and I still don't. You have holes elsewhere on your roster, and you have J-Stew ready to take over a feature back role, and you go and throw a huge contract at Williams? It made no sense.

I didn't understand the resigning of D-Will at the time, and I still don't. You have holes elsewhere on your roster, and you have J-Stew ready to take over a feature back role, and you go and throw a huge contract at Williams? It made no sense.

Exactly. As dumb an idea as it was, it looks even worse now that they're giving him like 10 touches a game.

Here's the part that I don't get. It has been explained as Richardson making good on a promise to take care of D Will. This is the same guy who was the biggest hard ass of all the owners during the negotiations. And this is the guy who scratches a $40 million check to a guy they really don't need and apparently aren't going to use?

Edited by detlef

D-Will...thats all I need to say about that. Imagine what kind of players you could have brought in without the biggest joke of a contract in recent memory.

Can you elaborate on what you're talking about? This year my football knowledge is very weak, and I'm not sure. that's also the main reason for this post. If there's something I need to be angry at, instead of coaching, I'd be happy to hear it, because since I haven't been very studious this year, there's a chance i'm missing something.

thanks!

Wow. No offense but this seems to be another example of wanting something fixed by the first commercial break.

Your team went 1-15 last year. It is very debatable as to whether or not Newton is having one of the best years of a rookie QB ever. What is not debatable is that 1-15 IS one of the most execrable records in NFL history.

So... your team has a ways to go and you got a nice building block in Newton. Well, make that better than 'nice.' Frankly, you need to give it until 2013 to see how this works out, at which time you'd expect Steve Smith to finally run out of gas so it won't get easier.

And I wouldn't ascribe SD's trouble to Rivera, but I would vice versa. That team had issues before and after he worked there andhasn't played with heart in years.

You want to bail on him after week 11? Cripes. :wacko:

Can you elaborate on what you're talking about? This year my football knowledge is very weak, and I'm not sure. that's also the main reason for this post. If there's something I need to be angry at, instead of coaching, I'd be happy to hear it, because since I haven't been very studious this year, there's a chance i'm missing something.

thanks!

I think Charlie explained it pretty well above.

thanks!

:wacko: He is the Stewart nut-hugger and though the re-signing of Williams was a bas idea

They should have spent that money to buy some shields like they used in "Brave Heart" for the Defense.

Let me ask this, obviously Stewart is a good running back, but don't you think alot of the Panthers running success is due to having both of them? They're the best tandem in the league, imo. Why break up a winning recipe for success? I dont have a problem with spending all sorts of money on keeping the 1-2 punch together, but I understand how it can impact the defense, when it comes to money to sign mroe players, but in a rebuilding era, you can draft start defensive players. I really think I understand the motive, and the decision to resign Williams, because together, those 2 are unstoppable. You could easily pay more to a super stud running back, and together, 1-2 punch style, they = a super stud running game.

I'm ignorant on the pay for premier backs at the moment. out of curiousity, whats the pay for Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson etc, and how does their pay compare with the total., combined pay for JStew and Williams?

And I wouldn't ascribe SD's trouble to Rivera, but I would vice versa. That team had issues before and after he worked there andhasn't played with heart in years.

Agreed on the most part. I've made it very public on my views of Turner/AJ Smith. But you cannot dismiss the sudden downfall of a once feared run defense after Rivera took over. Do I hold him solely responsible? Of course not, that would be asinine. But the trend is growing.

Let me ask this, obviously Stewart is a good running back, but don't you think alot of the Panthers running success is due to having both of them? They're the best tandem in the league, imo. Why break up a winning recipe for success? I dont have a problem with spending all sorts of money on keeping the 1-2 punch together, but I understand how it can impact the defense, when it comes to money to sign mroe players, but in a rebuilding era, you can draft start defensive players. I really think I understand the motive, and the decision to resign Williams, because together, those 2 are unstoppable. You could easily pay more to a super stud running back, and together, 1-2 punch style, they = a super stud running game.

I'm ignorant on the pay for premier backs at the moment. out of curiousity, whats the pay for Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson etc, and how does their pay compare with the total., combined pay for JStew and Williams?

It's his age that I think is the reason for the "YOU DID WHAT???" contract. All those players you listed are younger by a wide margin. D-Will goes into the downyear age of 29 next season. Stew has put up almost exact numbers to him in a limitied role (Thanks Fox you idiot) and was a top 10 play when D-Will was injured.

1) They knew they had Newton in the fold, and they knew he could run, so there's another guy to fold into the mix

2) I think an RB tandem is great, but given the holes they had to fill on D, it was a luxury they couldn't afford at the price they paid.

3) Goodsen looked promising and they quite possibly could have let D Will walk and still had a nice tandem

4) It's nice to score in the 20s (which they've done often) and have that sometimes mean you won a game.

4) It's nice to score in the 20s (which they've done often) and have that sometimes mean you won a game.

this is the best point. I can't put all of the losses on the defense, because there's been a few times when we scored 3 points and such too, but the defense is pretty bad, just about 100% of the time. I wish i wasn't at work, so i could do the research and see how JStew + Dwill salary compares to premeir studs...any body got an ideas?

this is the best point. I can't put all of the losses on the defense, because there's been a few times when we scored 3 points and such too, but the defense is pretty bad, just about 100% of the time. I wish i wasn't at work, so i could do the research and see how JStew + Dwill salary compares to premeir studs...any body got an ideas?

List the premeir studs and I'll do it for you. I'm off today..got nothing to do.

I'm not sure who they could have gone out and got this year (they did spend plenty to keep one of their own coveted defensive FAs on board), but it sure would be nice knowing they had money to spend next year rather than have it tied up.

Agreed on the most part. I've made it very public on my views of Turner/AJ Smith. But you cannot dismiss the sudden downfall of a once feared run defense after Rivera took over. Do I hold him solely responsible? Of course not, that would be asinine. But the trend is growing.

The trend was he got hired right as Merriman fell off the cliff. That had as big as impact as anything on the personnel he had to work with, which was why he kept the 3-4 despite never playing in it.

And LMAO at some type of 'trend' about the guy's coaching ability when he's already won twice as many games as the team did last year. He's got nothing to work with down there.

The trend was he got hired right as Merriman fell off the cliff. That had as big as impact as anything on the personnel he had to work with, which was why he kept the 3-4 despite never playing in it.

And LMAO at some type of 'trend' about the guy's coaching ability when he's already won twice as many games as the team did last year. He's got nothing to work with down there.

For the record, the Panthers won twice last year.

Not sure what they are going to do to improve on the defensive side of the ball. Cam surprised everybody by making them competitive way sooner than anybody thought he could. Carolina fans do have a lot to be optimistic about, because with Cam raising the bar, there will be a lot of pressure to improve on D, and in other key offensive positions, and I believe they will. At least they are very much in their games this year, and it shouldn't take too much improvement to turn some of those close losses into W's. Understand your frustration though.