[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

God I hate the McDonald's commercials during the games

BA Baracus

All these pu$$y whipped dudes and the implication that such behavior is somehow cool. The one with the chick who calls the guy all those pet names is horrible! Makes me want to avoid McDonald's... :wacko:

I gave up on Burger King because of their creeepy giant-headed king commericals and am not going back just because they retired him. Feel free to do the same with McDonalds. That and the mute button are your best weapons.

Unless you're some lazy old fat guy and/or a habitual complainer of things....or both....use the commercials to your advantage.

First of all, don't think about avoiding McDonald's all together - simply stop going. Put most fast food in that category. If you eat too much of it, you'll find it's an easy thing to replace in the diet.

Watch Red Zone - they don't do commercials.

Use the Commercial time to do the little things in life. Like, stir the chilli, re-ice the beer - take a leak, pay attention to others in the room, etc...

This commercial is a foundation to helping you learn - you just need cliff notes.

Unfortuantely on DirecTV you can't get Redzone unless you want to pay for the entire Sunday Ticket, which is priced too high for my taste. I just watch last nights Saturday Night Live during the commercials...the skits fit right into the small period of time and some of them are hilarious.

Unfortuantely on DirecTV you can't get Redzone unless you want to pay for the entire Sunday Ticket, which is priced too high for my taste. I just watch last nights Saturday Night Live during the commercials...the skits fit right into the small period of time and some of them are hilarious.

you can't afford $10/wk for every game?

you can't afford $10/wk for every game?

DirecTV already costs me around $90/month, the package costs around $300 for the season I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), and that is just too much of a cost, considering they give week 1 free, I watch somewhere else for probably 4 sundays in a season, and 2-3 other sundays I have other obligations...so really I couldn't enjoy it enough to justify the price-I'd probably use it 8 weeks in a season, which makes it for me closer to $40 a week than $10 a week.

DirecTV already costs me around $90/month, the package costs around $300 for the season I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), and that is just too much of a cost, considering they give week 1 free, I watch somewhere else for probably 4 sundays in a season, and 2-3 other sundays I have other obligations...so really I couldn't enjoy it enough to justify the price-I'd probably use it 8 weeks in a season, which makes it for me closer to $40 a week than $10 a week.

directv haggles. with a little patience and persistence, no way anyone should be paying more than $170 for ST.

directv thread

Edited by Bier Meister

directv haggles. with a little patience and persistence, no way anyone should be paying more than $170 for ST.

directv thread

Fair enough, I am considering getting it next year. I always enjoy the free trial they give week 1. If I could get it for around $170 next year I'd jump on that

Yeah and he complains about their content on a fantasy football forum. What's next people complaining about the halftime show of some NFL game.

Not seeking advice on how to watch TV.

Just a rant...hence the use of the :wacko: emoticon...

I figured that a forum filled with dudes that watch football might have some like mindedness on the general downside of pussification in America these days, but I guess not.

I figured that a forum filled with dudes that watch football might have some like mindedness on the general downside of pussification in America these days, but I guess not.

Most of the people here are really chicks posing as dudes...if you'd like me to name them for you I will.

Fair enough, just seem to be a lot of threads posting on various topics that are rants

- certain commercials

- half time performers (Lions Thanksgving games)

- teams winning but not giving my fantasy player enough points

- and so on....

It makes it harder to read and find the threads that have more meaningful topics.

And in this era of people having DVRs complaining about commercials just seems odd to the many who use DVRs regularly.

And in this era of people having DVRs complaining about commercials just seems odd to the many who use DVRs regularly.

Sporting events have to be watched live IMO...as writer Chuck Klostermann broke down in an article dedicated to why (rational and irrational reasons):

1. The removal of commercials erodes the drama

2. By watching a game after the fact, I am consciously distancing myself from the actual expierence

3. Recording give me too much control.

4. The idea that your personal involvement in a game will impact the outcome

5. If the game has already ended and I don't know anything about what happened, it was probably just a game

Unless you're some lazy old fat guy and/or a habitual complainer of things....or both....use the commercials to your advantage.

First of all, don't think about avoiding McDonald's all together - simply stop going. Put most fast food in that category. If you eat too much of it, you'll find it's an easy thing to replace in the diet.

Watch Red Zone - they don't do commercials.

Use the Commercial time to do the little things in life. Like, stir the chilli, re-ice the beer - take a leak, pay attention to others in the room, etc...

This commercial is a foundation to helping you learn - you just need cliff notes.

Werd. I typically just diddle with my phone and look at how I'm doing in my FF leagues. That is, if I'm not stirring the chili, grabbing a beer, or doing the other things Gil mentioned.

Sporting events have to be watched live IMO...as writer Chuck Klostermann broke down in an article dedicated to why (rational and irrational reasons):

2. By watching a game after the fact, I am consciously distancing myself from the actual expierence

5. If the game has already ended and I don't know anything about what happened, it was probably just a game

fine points indeed.

Agreed. People have tried to convince me to DVR the games to watch them commercial-free, but if it's one of my teams, especially UGA, then I absolutely refuse to do so, for the reasons you mentioned. If I'm not watching it live, then I don't feel like I'm actually rooting for it, just seeing what had already happened.... And even worse is when people will skip the time between the plays and replays. Drives me crazy to not be able to watch it progress at it's normal pace in real-time.

The problem of course is that advertisers realize that it's one of the few things we prefer to watch live. I'm convinced that the new rule that every touchdown is reviewed, even obvious ones, has to be in place to jam in even more commercials between the score and the kickoff (where they already run a break before and after the kickoff)... And the worst is when it happens right before a quarter ends, to where you won't even remember where the game is at by the time you get back to the action.

Werd. I typically just diddle with my phone and look at how I'm doing in my FF leagues. That is, if I'm not stirring the chili, grabbing a beer, or doing the other things Gil mentioned.

This too. Just because I watch it in real-time doesn't mean I'm going sit there and focus on some annoying jingle trying to sell me a product. If there's absolutely nothing else I care to do real quick, then yeah, why not get on my phone and check stats, scores and the Huddle, in lieu of being convinced that I need to be drinking a more "manly " beer.

Good points, but not compelling enough to me to change viewing.

I find it funny that this points out how removing the commercials eordes the drama, I don't see it that way, they are artificial and not part of the original game. So that's just BS (were games less dramatic before they had all these commercials). While at the same time we have a new generation that think RedZone is the way to go, just watch it all day Sunday and you've watched all the games (without most of the drama).

PS Your points about the review of scores and extra commercials may just be your impression. I'm pretty sure that an NFL game in 2011 has the same number of required commercial breaks as before (22 total per game, done 5 per half and 1 each between quarters). Once those breaks are used up you'll see they stick with the game even during reviews, injuries, and timeouts. And they don't always take a break before and after each kickoff, only if they need to get those breaks in to meet the required number. (Yes I notice when zipping through the recording.)