[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Julio Jones?

dsagen

I own him and Douglas in a league and figured if Jones was good to go, that he'd be the better play. Boy, that was a mistake. I don't think it's going to cost me a win, but it will make things interesting in terms of our weekly skins prize.

I've always been a big fan of Douglas. Definitely not the athlete that Jones is nor is he anywhere close to a stud like Roddy White, but he's a nice little route runner and heady QBs like Matt Ryan appreciate having such a steady presence on the field.

As for Jones, I'm not sure. I'm not seeing that he even had any targets, but MFL may not have updated that information yet.

Aside from that huge 17-target, 11-catch, 127-yard game, he hasn't topped 8 targets in any contest. Sure, he had that huge 3-catch, 2-TD outburst... but I'm a little concerned.

(1:21) M.Ryan pass incomplete deep left to J.Jones. PENALTY on ATL-J.Jones, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at ATL 33 - No Play.

He pushed off on that play to get wide open and then dropped the ball anyways. Other then that, he might have been targeted one other time. However there were at least a couple times i saw him wide open and Ryan wasn't even looking his way. :wacko:

This Falcons fan agrees with this....felt that way all along.

Unless your talent evaluation track record is infallible, it's really difficult to invest that much in one player, especially when you already have a good/great receiver on your team in White.

How much did the Cowboys invest in their trusty sidekick Laurent Robinson?

Unless your talent evaluation track record is infallible, it's really difficult to invest that much in one player, especially when you already have a good/great receiver on your team in White.

How much did the Cowboys invest in their trusty sidekick Laurent Robinson?

You mean Laurent Robinson, the 2007 3rd pick of the Atlanta Falcons??

This Falcons fan agrees with this....felt that way all along.

I disagree. You're not going to beat Green Bay now by spending the next few years fortifying the defense and other areas. You can only do so much with a ball-control clock-eating offense before you have to match them in points. Sticking with the draft picks is like conceding that they aren't going to win a Super Bowl any time soon... Maybe they still won't, but I applaud TD for pooling resources to give it a go while we got the window...

And Julio is obviously not just a short-term piece... Roddy is about to be 30 and Tony G should be retired if he weren't Tony G. So if things don't work out for this run, you have one of the most freakish athletes in the game to grow along with Ryan. WRs like he and AJ only come along every few years, so I'm extremely happy the Falcons jumped to get one of them when they could.

good one! :wacko:

Jones, even when healthy, is just as inconsistant as Roddy and neither can do good at the same time.

You do realize that you're talking about, 1) a receiver who led the NFL in most WR categories last year and has been top 3 over the last 4 years, and 2)a raw rookie who still needs a lot of polishing in his ball skills in particular to play up to his tremendous upside and freakish athletic ability. This year is not an accurate measure of their potential (and in case you didn't see the game yesterday, Roddy finally looks to be getting it together).

Granted the reports from training camp that Julio looked like a "five year vet" were jumping the gun. He still has much that needs to be worked on, and it's clear now that AJG comes in as the more polished NFL ready reciever; But AJ also doesn't have Julio's physical gifts. Just wait until him and Ryan get on the same page and start connecting on the deep and jump balls.

And really, when he's been healthy, I'd say that he's been far more consistently great than most other WRs this year... Whether he ends up being worth the draft picks is a worthy debate, but for a rookie, I really don't see how you can knock what he's accomplished in his extremely short NFL career with no training camp, coming into a team with established stud targets to leap-frog.

As for why Julio put up a goose egg yesterday, I'm kind of surprised that so many are surprised about it...

Julio keeps aggravating his hammys, first one then now another... As we've seen this year with many other players, this is indicative of not being in "football shape" from the lockout.... So why would you force the issue to him, if you can afford to hit other targets and make sure he gets back to 100%... I'm no expert on hammy injuries, but I'd think being able to run and cut are a bit different than testing it getting tangled up in tackles.

Plain and simple, it looks like they opted to use him as a decoy this week.... I expect him to start coming on again next week, and particularly in games where Ryan needs someone to make a big play. If the Vikings game had gotten any closer, I think you would have seen them try more of that.

Well its made me despise Ryan. He doesnt even scan the field, that idiot just stays one direction and its either in Tony G or Whites direction, simple as that.

The one play was hilarious when Julio was like as wide open as it gets and Ryan i still dont even think knows about it.

Put Julio on a team that has a QB that scans the field nicely and the dude would blow it up, although his hammy has been a headache, so yea...i dont know. All i know is im sick of fn guys like Julio and Finley just ruining my weeks with their stupid ass eggs.

Well its made me despise Ryan. He doesnt even scan the field, that idiot just stays one direction and its either in Tony G or Whites direction, simple as that.

The one play was hilarious when Julio was like as wide open as it gets and Ryan i still dont even think knows about it.

Put Julio on a team that has a QB that scans the field nicely and the dude would blow it up, although his hammy has been a headache, so yea...i dont know. All i know is im sick of fn guys like Julio and Finley just ruining my weeks with their stupid ass eggs.

I'm sorry that Julio's hammies have put a damper on your season, but when Julio is healthy, they're absolutely trying to find ways to get the ball in his hands.... You don't have 3 100 yard games, a 2 TD game, and a 17 target game without being a big part of the gameplan. He's been getting eased back in, because he keeps aggravating things when they've pushed him back in too soon... Add to all that, he's getting targeted deep, but can't quite connect with Ryan. You have to be more patient with a rookie WR to get in a rhythm with his QB, before you can expect him to put up huge numbers every single week..

So if you want to blame anyone, blame the lockout for lack of proper conditioning, and yourself for expecting too much out of a rookie WR surrounded by studly targets to leap-frog.... As per most reasonable people, he's living up to every bit of the expectations for a rookie, and when fully healthy has already carved a significant role in the offense.

If you think that this week is indicative of Julio going forward, then you'd be mistaken, IMHO.

The guy is either good to go or not, i dont want to really buy into any "easing" someone back into the game. Hes out there in the game playing on the field, when i watched the game what i noticed was Ryans head never moved...that to me was the problem.

I dont exect huge numbers...4-5 rec for 50 and maybe a TD is all id like and id be happy. Hell, 3 for 27 and a TD, im not asking for the world here with guys like Julio, not at all.

Edited by Metalhead316

The guy is either good to go or not, i dont want to really buy into any "easing" someone back into the game. Hes out there in the game playing on the field, when i watched the game what i noticed was Ryans head never moved...that to me was the problem.

I dont exect huge numbers...4-5 rec for 50 and maybe a TD is all id like and id be happy. Hell, 3 for 27 and a TD, im not asking for the world here with guys like Julio, not at all.

Well, it doesn't really matter if you want to buy into them "easing" him back in... That's what's going on. Coaches aren't in the business of telling their opponents just how good to go a player is or isn't. All they're required to tell you is if they're likely to play or not. It's up to you to decide if it's worth risking them easing him in or not, because they're not always gonna tell you they are, or even be honest about it.

Last time he came back from the hammy injury, yes he had a monster game against Indy, but then injured the other hammy the next week. That can't just be a coincidence, there's gotta be some causation there (and much like everyone else, most likely the lockout). So when the guy has been resting it for a second time this season, then you're not really getting him into better football shape are you? I mean, hammy injuries are ones that tend to linger or aggravate, so if they don't feel comfortable using him for more than decoy and just letting him run and cut, then why risk it, when you can just have him draw some coverage and help the 100% healthy targets get more open. Ryan doesn't have to look his way for defenses to respect his abilities.

FYI, I started McGahee over Julio in one league, and over Douglas in another for exactly this reason. There was too much ambiguity in whether they'd go back to using Julio, or ease him in and take advantage of the hot streak Douglas has been on in his absence.

Edited by delusions of granduer

Well imho, there are many ways to look at it...but ultimately im playing fantasy football and when all the fantasy sites feel that a 2 week rest period was great for Julio and that things are a go, and youre other options arent options with Maclin being out for instance...its disappointing to not even see one catch.

Debate that all ya want, in the world of fantasy, its lame.

Edited by Metalhead316

Debate that all ya want, in the world of fantasy, its lame.

Fair enough, but I could write a 20 page essay on things that are lame for fantasy owners.... That doesn't change the fact that coaches are interested in winning games and keeping a guy healthy for the must-win stretch, and not what's best for your fantasy team... Hence why you have to evaluate players on other factors besides how bad you need him to score points.

Again, I'm sorry you didn't have better options this week, but with the ambiguity surrounding Julio this week, if you did then you would have been smart to start them.... I suspect we'd all be more pissed if Smith had given him a large workload and he reinjured the hammy...

you don't have to buy into it, but teams do in fact do it...but even if they weren't WRs get shutout at times, even good ones...add to it that any time you start someone coming off an injury you are accepting a fair amount of risks...practice can't/doesn't mimic real game situations for one and a WR and QB have timing issues to boot...take a couple of weeks off and that could be impacted negatively...at some point you have to get a guy back o the field when he is physically ready, but that doesn't mean there won't be some difficulties in getting things ramped back up.

The Falcons didn't make a misstep here, they won...you are the one that made the misstep

Edited by keggerz

But its no different than Andre Johnson, you have to play the guy upon a return. Thats how i feel...even if you dont want too nor the sign says too, you gotta do it because they are stars.

If Maclin was a go, or if Denarius Moore wasnt hurt...those were the two options i had in line to play but they didnt play. Julio came back from injury to blow it up, that alone right there is reason enough to start him....least in my eyes thats reason enough.

Edit: Btw guys...i understand fully it takes time to get things ramped back up. But were talking...one or two catches....that is all i think most of us who played him wanted, 4-5 points would of been more than acceptable in my eyes since i knew he was returning.

I could see if im sitting here mad that he didnt get 120 and 2 TDs, im mad that there wasnt even a catch...every point counts.

Edited by Metalhead316