[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CJ Spiller

BleedingGreen

One small thing I noticed from the game:

Sione Pouha stuffed him on a run, had him stopped, but then went all the way to throw him to the turf. Granted it seemed that forward progress was finished and Pouha was possibly going to get an unnecessary roughness call, but when Spiller got up, he visibly complained, appealing to the official for a flag.

Now, I get trying to draw a penalty, but this is football, not soccer. I don't EVER want to see my RB making the case that the run was over. Or putting in the ref's head that his progress is ever stopped until it is. I like RBs that are pissed when plays are blown dead because they could've gotten that extra yard...or at least think they could've, and either way they are going to fight until a knee or elbow touches.

I add to that, Spiller's comments about Jackson's injury: ""You're excited but at the same time you're sad because one of our great players on this team is out for this week," "But I've got to step up"

Excited? The team just lost Jackson, who Demetrius Bell called "The heart and soul of this team." Guy's career is probably screwed, the season is spiraling out of control for the Bills ......but glad you're excited to whine for flags, CJ.

Lack of toughness + Poor attitude = Bad player....I don't care if Gailey gave him 19 carries. he belongs on the bench.

Edited by BleedingGreen

lol lack of toughness and poor attitude?

he's excited to get the chance to play yet sad because they lost a valuable asset to the team...what's the issue with what he said?

as far as calling for the flag...at what point in the game was it? i mean, he doesn't go down until after the whistle so obviously it's not a matter of him going down easily so i don't see where you get this lack of toughness from. i watched spiller play every game at clemson and have never thought he had a bad attitude or came off like a pansy on the field. you're inferring far too much into both of these actions.

So... you're taking his quote out of context (completely ignoring half of what he said), and asserting that he's soft based on one small insignificant moment, because you're mad that he didn't score you a lot of fantasy points. Got it. Bench this loser the rest of the way.

I'm just pointing out a trend I'm seeing because I'm trying to assess his potential as a starting RB, for everyone's benefit..

You can tell a lot by a player by "insignificant moments," the ones that don't show up on a stat sheet, which is why I bothered posting it for everyone's benefit to asses the information as they saw fit.

But go ahead, flame me for it. You're welcome anyway, jackass.

lol lack of toughness and poor attitude?

he's excited to get the chance to play yet sad because they lost a valuable asset to the team...what's the issue with what he said?

as far as calling for the flag...at what point in the game was it? i mean, he doesn't go down until after the whistle so obviously it's not a matter of him going down easily so i don't see where you get this lack of toughness from. i watched spiller play every game at clemson and have never thought he had a bad attitude or came off like a pansy on the field. you're inferring far too much into both of these actions.

Disagree.

that's your call. as far as assessing his potential as a starting rb i'd add that he looked alright in pass protection yesterday and has very good hands...if he learns to run between the tackles a bit better i think he could be very good with how fast he is on the outside.

Wait a minute you want him to be more competitive and fight for yards, but not so competitive that he embraces the chance to get more touches and contribute more to the team? Of course he's excited, he's getting an opportunity to contribute more. You don't sit there and dwell on injuries, you move on and get ready to play. He paid respect to Jackson referring to him as one of the great players, what else do you want him to do, build a candlelight vigil?

How many leagues do you own him in?

I'm benching him because he sucks not by what you said.

The Bills schedule against the run the rest of the way isn't good. Fitzpatrick's going to be airing it out a lot. Steve Johnson and David Nelson the rest of the year.

Stale bread here maybe, but last nights game made me think more about Spiller.

Spiller is soft and selfish, guys, I maintain my position. You see Marshawn Lynch looking for any laundry on this play?

http://www.businessinsider.com/marshawn-ly...uchdown-2011-12

And the connection I draw to the comment on Jackson - yes, it's totally out of context and maybe grasping at straws but something feels "off" about his choice of words. That's all I'm saying. Had he been on PUP or some thing, I get that he's "excited" to get the opportunity to...say... make a contribution or get ont he field. But he wasn't ...he had been on the field, as a WR, getting a few touches as an RB here and there. He's excited now to be getting mroe, because the guy keeping him from getting more touches is now on IR. What?!?!

Never say that you're excited when arguably the MVP of the team just broke his leg. Say the usual BS - I'm honored my team would give me the chance. I'm going to do everything I can to help us win.....If my number is called, I'll fight for every yard just like Fred would've.

I just think he tipped his hand, and he's a selfish b!tch. but I could be wrong, we'll see.

PS_ I dont own Spiller, I owned Jackson. I passed on Spiller, playing my hunch that Johnny White is the better option (though he may not get a chance).

Edited by BleedingGreen

Stale bread here maybe, but last nights game made me think more about Spiller.

Spiller is soft and selfish, guys, I maintain my position. You see Marshawn Lynch looking for any laundry on this play?

http://www.businessinsider.com/marshawn-ly...uchdown-2011-12

And the connection I draw to the comment on Jackson - yes, it's totally out of context and maybe grasping at straws but something feels "off" about his choice of words. That's all I'm saying. Had he been on PUP or some thing, I get that he's "excited" to get the opportunity to...say... make a contribution or get ont he field. But he wasn't ...he had been on the field, as a WR, getting a few touches as an RB here and there. He's excited now to be getting mroe, because the guy keeping him from getting more touches is now on IR. What?!?!

Never say that you're excited when arguably the MVP of the team just broke his leg. Say the usual BS - I'm honored my team would give me the chance. I'm going to do everything I can to help us win.....If my number is called, I'll fight for every yard just like Fred would've.

I just think he tipped his hand, and he's a selfish b!tch. but I could be wrong, we'll see.

PS_ I dont own Spiller, I owned Jackson. I passed on Spiller, playing my hunch that Johnny White is the better option (though he may not get a chance).

What is he supposed to say? "I'm disappointed that the team is asking me to step up, as I really think Fred Jackson was the heart and soul of this team. But I guess someone has to try to fill the void."

He is obviously not excited that Jackson got hurt. Nobody would infer that from him saying he was excited. Are you a journalist by chance? You are pretty good at making a story out of nothing.

What is he supposed to say? "I'm disappointed that the team is asking me to step up, as I really think Fred Jackson was the heart and soul of this team. But I guess someone has to try to fill the void."

He is obviously not excited that Jackson got hurt. Nobody would infer that from him saying he was excited. Are you a journalist by chance? You are pretty good at making a story out of nothing.

This wasn't much, but I think it was a hint at a lot more. We'll see on the field.

I watched that game. I had Spiller starting as back up to Jackson and I didn't learn a lot. I don't think many backs would have found holes the way Buffalo's offensive line was blocking. The few times they tried to get him outside, the defense was there with containment. Still not sure about Spiller but still hoping for the best after Fred went down. He did have one run for about 10 yards where he made the first guy miss and got the first down. It was a nice run but not the norm. Didn't seem to be able to break the first tackle and get more yards, but it was against a good run defense and I hope he does better this week.

all the young guys get up calling for flags. it is sad to watch, but that is how it is. spiller might be soft, but so are a ton of WR, probably some on your team. as for your example in the lynch TD, his forward progress never stopped. and he scored a td. and he wasnt thrown to the ground late.

and for the quote you are trying to butcher, what was the question?

it was probably specific, "Are you excited for a chance to start?" or "Are you excited to play now that Jackson is out for the season"

Seems likely based on the quote you gave that he is baited to say yea im excited.

So basically you're looking deep into one game trying to make you feel better about using your waiver claim on Johnny White instead of CJ? Got it.

Honestly, who cares? No, I happened to watch the game, and I'm pointing out some things I saw.

You and other posters are like pigeons, you just come here to sh!t on people.

OK, how about this, make me a counter argument for why spiller is tough. I'd actually like to hear it, versus attacking me for formulating a hypothesis to which you don't subscribe...

..then again, I just realized your sig is crazysob. I guess that says it all.

This thread needs to die. Just like Spiller's career will in about 2 more games.

It's apparent that Spiller is not going to get the tough yards. However if given most of the touches he is quite capable of busting a 70-80 TD run or catch and run. He needs open space and if given 20-25 touches a game he's likely to eventually find some space. If my other options were limited, I wouldn't hesitate to start Spiller.

As I stated before, Spiller stinks. He has no vision and goes down too easily on first contact. I don't think he will ever be the guy. I pity anyone who has to rely on this guy as their RB.

Chan Gailey, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Levitre, Eric Pears, Steven Johnson, Chris Hairston, David Nelson, Scott Chandler, Craig Urbek, Chad Rienhart, Brad Smith?

Edited by satelliteoflovegm

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I like Spiller...he was a beast at Clemson and he's about the equivalent to Jahvid Best, without all the broken parts. I did not expect the Bills to pay him $25 million and then have him sit the bench (Gailey likes his between the tackles RB), that was perplexing and why many people have written him off as a bust.

If you give CJ 5-6 touches a game he won't do much...but if you give him 15-20, both rushing and receiving, he's a good, low RB1 and an exceptionaly high RB2.