[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So you think you want Cowher to coach your team?

caddyman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the next logical question would be which available coach ut there looks better.

Gruden

Bilick

Denny Green

Parcels

Jimmy Johnson

Dan Reeves

Joe Gibbs

Dick Vermeil

Mike Holmgren

Eric Mangini

Tony Dungee

Mike Ditka

Herm Edwards

Dom Capers

Who?

Why does it have to be a re-tread? Why not an up and coming assistant?

The NFL has changed since Cowher coached. You think he didn't notice? Plenty of coaches have changed their approach as the rules have changed to favor the passing game. Using 10 year old stats doesn't really work for me in this case.

Look at the Steelers approach now. They throw it 60% of the time.

:wacko::tup::lol:

Why does it have to be a re-tread? Why not an up and coming assistant?

It can be anyone. I was interested in soliciting his thoughts on the matter since he thinks Cowher is not the guy and those are the names we commonly here speculated upon. Were it me I would not look to recycle old ideas and burned out men. I would look to the ranks of assistants, though many of them are also burned out retreads.

Martz

Martinelli

Phillips

Capers

Tice

LeBeau

Galley

Munchek

It can be anyone. I was interested in soliciting his thoughts on the matter since he thinks Cowher is not the guy and those are the names we commonly here speculated upon. Were it me I would not look to recycle old ideas and burned out men. I would look to the ranks of assistants, though many of them are also burned out retreads.

Martz

Martinelli

Phillips

Capers

Tice

LeBeau

Galley

Munchek

I'm not going to pretend to know which assistant would make the best HC. I didn't know who McCarthy was before he was the coach for GB, I didn't know who the older Harbaugh was before he became the Ravens coach. I didn't know who Mike Tomlin was before he got the Pittsburgh job. All of them seem to be doing pretty well. That tells me there's guys out there who know this better than I do and, thus, they don't need to worry about hiring a guy whose name I know to placate me.

That said, I'm happy the Niners hired a guy whose name I knew and I'm extra glad that he seems like an effing great coach! So, mostly I'm glad I don't have to worry about who gets the next HC job because it looks like my team is covered for some time!

Edited by detlef

I am sure it was sarcasm you fool. I never claimed to write it. Moran.

Yeah but you never claimed NOT to have written this article. Posting someone's original content like this would commonly call for a reference to the author. It's disingenuous otherwise. You didn't so much as hint that this wasn't your own original content, and when Opie complimented you on the research and content you failed to inform him, or us, that you didn't write it. I'm sure you'll claim you didn't intend to mislead anyone....but so far all signs point to opportunistic plagiarism.

BTW, your spelling of "Moran" sums this whole thing up quite nicely.

Yeah but you never claimed NOT to have written this article. Posting someone's original content like this would commonly call for a reference to the author. It's disingenuous otherwise. You didn't so much as hint that this wasn't your own original content, and when Opie complimented you on the research and content you failed to inform him, or us, that you didn't write it. I'm sure you'll claim you didn't intend to mislead anyone....but so far all signs point to opportunistic plagiarism.

This

Not so much this. Moran is how it's spelled on these boards. It's kind of a hugh deal. :wacko:

1) Welcome to the Huddle, that's how we spell moran. Long story.

2) Are you actually implying that you really thought dude wrote that himself? Is anyone? I get it. Posting an article like you wrote it yourself is a no-no. But honestly? Anyone who thought he was trying to pull one over on us needs to get a grip. That story was even too long for me or Bronco Billy to have written. Not to mention the entire story was in italics and his part was not.

Edited by detlef

1) Welcome to the Huddle, that's how we spell moran. Long story.

2) Are you actually implying that you really thought dude wrote that himself? Is anyone? I get it. Posting an article like you wrote it yourself is a no-no. But honestly? Anyone who thought he was trying to pull one over on us needs to get a grip. That story was even too long for me or Bronco Billy to have written. Not to mention the entire story was in italics and his part was not.

So the long storied history of the word 'moran' is important, but completely failing to reference the author of an article central to an entire thread is not. Got it. Thanks.

First, I agree with a few others that caddyman should have indicated he did not write the story and site a source. Did I believe he wrote it? That doesn't matter. I gave up reading it about half way through because it sounded familiar. But submitting something that isn't yours without a source is the same as saying you wrote it.

I also think it is mostly rubbish. While I don't think that hiriing Cowher is any gaurantee of success, neither is hiring Gruden, any of the other retreads or promoting some assistant. As a fan of the Browns I've watched the coaching carousel for years now, with one guy after another annointed as the next savior. Former great college coach, bust. Great assistants from the mighty Belichek tree, bust and bust. Assistants who've had success elsewhere, jury's still out on Shurmur but I don't see it.

The front office needs to be sound as well, and the Steelers certainly have that. Is Tomlin a much better coach than Cowher? Not even sure he is any better.

Many teams would be happy to get Cowher, and would think he can help turn them around or get over the top. Should these decisions be made carefully, of course. Should Cowher be from dismissed from consideration because of the points raised in this aticle, absolutely not.

So the long storied history of the word 'moran' is important, but completely failing to reference the author of an article central to an entire thread is not. Got it. Thanks.

Just answer the question. Did you really think the OP wrote that?

I know you're not addressing me, but I don't see what that matters. if you post a 1000 word 10 paragraph piece and you didn't write it you should at least mention the source. I don't see why there's even any debate about it, what is wrong with giving credit (and not taking credit yourself) for something like that?

Or is it common practice at the huddle to pass off somebody elses works as your own (not citing the source when you didn't write it)? I admit I've only been posting here a few months, but have read plenty in the past and didn't this pattern.

From the Huddle Forum Rules

•Observe all copyright laws when posting copyrighted material. If the material does not belong to you, do not post the full article/text. Post only the introductory paragraph then credit the source/author and link to the article. Never post articles from other premium (for pay) sources. If you do so, your thread and account will be deleted.

I know you're not addressing me, but I don't see what that matters. if you post a 1000 word 10 paragraph piece and you didn't write it you should at least mention the source. I don't see why there's even any debate about it, what is wrong with giving credit (and not taking credit yourself) for something like that?

Or is it common practice at the huddle to pass off somebody elses works as your own (not citing the source when you didn't write it)? I admit I've only been posting here a few months, but have read plenty in the past and didn't this pattern.

•Observe all copyright laws when posting copyrighted material. If the material does not belong to you, do not post the full article/text. Post only the introductory paragraph then credit the source/author and link to the article. Never post articles from other premium (for pay) sources. If you do so, your thread and account will be deleted.

If I had to guess, I'd say it just slipped his mind. But because it's caddyman, everyone is tripping over themselves to call dude out. All I know is that, the very moment I started into it, I knew I was reading a story that he found somewhere.

My issue is that it's not the big deal everyone is making it out to be. Sure, it'd be better if everyone did that. But I think the rule is not in place to nitpick something like this, but rather to actually stop people from pretending they wrote something they didn't.

You want to bust someone's chops on not following protocol, so be it. But many here are claiming intent, and that's sort of BS.

I am sure it was sarcasm you fool. I never claimed to write it. Moran. Secondly, please quit telling me about the coach I watched every week for every game he coached. You have no freaking clue what you are talking about. I lived it first hand, not from some media source like you. I saw what he is capable of. I was thrilled he left and we sure as hell have not missed him for a second. Do you really think that Mike Tomlin is that much better of a coach than Cowher? He sure is doing a better job in the four years he has been here.

Forum rules dictate "credit the source/author and link to the article."

opportunistic or not it is what it is

Why couldn't someone think he wrote it? Everyone here doesn't know caddyman, so it could be plausible for someone to think he wrote that. As someone that was plagiarized by a forum user I have no problem saying that this rubs me the wrong way...especially when it is against forum rules.

You are on point.

Forum rules dictate "credit the source/author and link to the article."

opportunistic or not it is what it is

Why couldn't someone think he wrote it? Everyone here doesn't know caddyman, so it could be plausible for someone to think he wrote that. As someone that was plagiarized by a forum user I have no problem saying that this rubs me the wrong way...especially when it is against forum rules.

You are on point.

Fine. I get it. And for the record, I always link my cites. I also get that this is basically just a bunch of people talking football. And when people start claiming intent on something like this, then I know that it's basically nothing more than a bunch of hand-wringing done by guys who know that they've got the rules on their side, so they're free to be as doooshy as they want about it.

Fine. I get it. And for the record, I always link my cites. I also get that this is basically just a bunch of people talking football. And when people start claiming intent on something like this, then I know that it's basically nothing more than a bunch of hand-wringing done by guys who know that they've got the rules on their side, so they're free to be as doooshy as they want about it.

If you wrote that article or wrote one that was plagairized in the past you probably would have a different outlook on this...the other thing that is concerning to me is that TWO NEW forum users had issues with it...the last thing we need is NEW users thinking we condone something like this..like I said, some have been here long enough to know that couldn't be caddyman's work, others have not.