[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So you think you want Cowher to coach your team?

caddyman

Not the reader's job to guess who wrote what. And it's not just a bunch of guys being "doooshy". If everyone plagiarized work all the time on this forum, you would quickly hate this forum.

You sir are correct, and welcome to the forum.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wrote that article or wrote one that was plagairized in the past you probably would have a different outlook on this...the other thing that is concerning to me is that TWO NEW forum users had issues with it...the last thing we need is NEW users thinking we condone something like this..like I said, some have been here long enough to know that couldn't be caddyman's work, others have not.

Glad to know the noobs can help :wacko:

What gets me is when the OP was questioned about it, and the original article linked, he just says "where did I claim I wrote that?" Pretty weak response, if you didn't cite a source then that implies you wrote it. That's why citing a source is important, no matter how obvious it might be that the person didn't write it.

And I'd cite a souce all the time whether the forum rules said so or not, its just common practice.

Not the reader's job to guess who wrote what. And it's not just a bunch of guys being "doooshy". If everyone plagiarized work all the time on this forum, you would quickly hate this forum.

Reminding him that he needs to cite his sources is not the doooshy part. B!tching about "opportunistic plagiarism" and others who implied intent is the part that annoyed me.

1) In the 8 or so years I've been here, this has not been a growing concern, so I guess I don't see why people need to start going overboard (more than simply reminding people of the rules).

2) One thing that makes any forum less fun is people running around accusing people of implied intent.

If you wrote that article or wrote one that was plagairized in the past you probably would have a different outlook on this.

To be honest, I doubt I would. I'd be pissed if someone intentionally tried to pass it off as theirs, but I don't think that's the case. If, as I'm inclined to believe here, it was a simple oversight, and the article was mine, I'd probably just mention that to them and be done with it.

To be honest, I doubt I would. I'd be pissed if someone intentionally tried to pass it off as theirs, but I don't think that's the case. If, as I'm inclined to believe here, it was a simple oversight, and the article was mine, I'd probably just mention that to them and be done with it.

Dead horse officially kicked.

You sir are correct, and welcome to the forum.

Good lord...please accept my apologies....I cut and paste from a response in another thread. In that thread I made a fairly vague staement that kind of said that it was from somewhere else....see below...

True...Norv is a whole different discussion. At least with Marty you guys thought you had a real chance at a title. Now with Norv...sorry. The thing about Cowher is that he is a good, but not great coach. See below for a long but very interesting ex[planation...

Sorry, I will be more clear next time. I thought It was obvious.

Good lord...please accept my apologies....I cut and paste from a response in another thread. In that thread I made a fairly vague staement that kind of said that it was from somewhere else....see below...

True...Norv is a whole different discussion. At least with Marty you guys thought you had a real chance at a title. Now with Norv...sorry. The thing about Cowher is that he is a good, but not great coach. See below for a long but very interesting ex[planation...

Sorry, I will be more clear next time. I thought It was obvious.

Apology accepted, moran.

:wacko:

If you wrote that article or wrote one that was plagairized in the past you probably would have a different outlook on this...

Not to keep piling this on, but since this trainwreck of a thread is pretty much done anyway:

Last year I was looking for info on a player, and did a google search. After reading much of an article on a random site, I realized that I had read it before, but where? I quickly realized that it was the weekly JUMbotron that had been ripped off word for word and posted on that other site. Of course I let him and DMD know about it....

Further, not only do I think that it's wrong to not cite where you got an article from for that reason, you really shouldn't be using more than a paragraph or two teaser and a link, rather than posting it in it's entirety here to not even bring them traffic for their hard work, or even verify that it is in fact public content and not restricted/paid content.

Sorry to continue this rant, but much like keggerz, I've never liked the way that articles are treated as if they're public info rather than someone's intellectual property.

Just answer the question. Did you really think the OP wrote that?

"You want answers ?!?" *

* This quote is from Jack Nicholson in the 1992 film "A Few Good Men"

Here are Steelers records, lets see if you can guess when Cowher was hired (I'll give you a subtle clue :wacko:):

9-7

8-8

6-3

10-6

9-7

7-9

6-10

8-7

5-11

9-7

9-7

7-9

11-5

9-7

12-4

11-5

10-6

11-5

7-9

6-10

9-7

13-3

10-5-1

6-10

15-1

11-5

8-8

Make whatever excuses you want, but, the guy took a team that had been struggling to get out of the middle, and he started winning immediately.

Edited by Menudo

sigh.

"ooh a good debate...oh no, wait..a fishing trip..oh wait, now it's a pissing match..here let me just scroll down and add my 2 cents...hrmm, lots to scroll past here...jesus these guys whine alot...wait..what was i going to say?..oh right,"

Cowher is a good coach. The CHFF write up is entertaining, but I disagree with the firing of good coaches, and the bashing of them, because they "can't win the big one". Shottenheimer comes to mind. Fired after an 11 win season. Same team that let Brees go..and sproles..and Turner..AFTER letting Tomlinson go. I think Shotty should have stayed, which lets me segue into Cowher. The dude dominated in the regular season, and didn't do too bad in the post season. You have to pull out some pretty off handed stats to find shortcomings, which to me, spells success.

Here are Steelers records, lets see if you can guess when Cowher was hired (I'll give you a subtle clue :wacko:):

9-7

8-8

6-3

10-6

9-7

7-9

6-10

8-7

5-11

9-7

9-7

7-9

11-5

9-7

12-4

11-5

10-6

11-5

7-9

6-10

9-7

13-3

10-5-1

6-10

15-1

11-5

8-8

Make whatever excuses you want, but, the guy took a team that had been struggling to get out of the middle, and he started winning immediately.

And what do the stats below say?

50-24 W-L, 5-2 W-L in playoffs, 1 SB won,...an absolute unknown takes over for the savior and here's what he's accomplished. i will take Tomlin any day over Cowher. (I did not write these statistics...they came from the innernets)

I am not saying that Cowher is a bad coach. I am just trying to say to some of these fans that are dying for him to come to their team that he is not the savior they think he is. As others have said, it is rare that a coach can take another team to the promised land. Better coaches have tried(Jimmy Johnson) and failed. Just as I thjink Cowher would. Sure he would get a bunch of crap teams back on the map. But I doubt seriously that he takes a team like Miami to the Super Bowl. Especially if he does not have Lebeau. Another factor is that Cowher thinks he is the shiat and will want GM like control of whoever he coaches. That will be a disaster. Dude is not that smart and not ready for that gig.

Nah...what you need is a meeting. No fishing trip at all. Damn you are dense.

You can split hairs all you want, but he was not Neal O'Donnell, meaning he was one QB brain fart away from having won 2 Super Bowls, and that game was lost to the team that won 3 in 4 years, right?

Keep splitting hairs, but that's better than most.

And I'll add: I read through that list and am like - he made it THAT FAR with Eric Peegram? C'mon these things can cut both ways.

I am not saying that Cowher is a bad coach. I am just trying to say to some of these fans that are dying for him to come to their team that he is not the savior they think he is.

Yes, but look at what these teams currently have, and look at what else is out there. Cowher is clearly a tremendous upgrade.

Yes, but look at what these teams currently have, and look at what else is out there. Cowher is clearly a tremendous upgrade.

Totally agree. Teams like Miami, Jax, KC, and the Chargers would be thrilled. Teams like Giants and Eagles will be not pleased.He is not a better coach than Coughlin. He is about the same as Andy Reid.

Totally agree. Teams like Miami, Jax, KC, and the Chargers would be thrilled. Teams like Giants and Eagles will be not pleased.He is not a better coach than Coughlin. He is about the same as Andy Reid.

I think the problem with Reid is that the message has gotten old, so perhaps going with Cowher would be a much needed change of philosophy that the players would react to positively. I'd also mention that Cowher has one pretty important thing that Reid doesn't, a head coaching Super Bowl win. Additionally, Cowher's winning percentage is significantly better than Reid's or Coughlin. Cowher is at .616, Reid is at .595 and Coughlin is at .555. I think Cowher is the best option for just about any team looking for a head coach at this point, maybe even the Eagles and Giants. Bringing him in by no means guarantees anything, but I don't think you're going to get anything much better than Cowher at this point. Plus if he went to the Eagles and Giants, he'd have the talent to take those teams to the next level right away, as opposed to having to completely rebuild teams like Miami, Jax, KC, etc.

I think the problem with Reid is that the message has gotten old, so perhaps going with Cowher would be a much needed change of philosophy that the players would react to positively. I'd also mention that Cowher has one pretty important thing that Reid doesn't, a head coaching Super Bowl win. Additionally, Cowher's winning percentage is significantly better than Reid's or Coughlin. Cowher is at .616, Reid is at .595 and Coughlin is at .555. I think Cowher is the best option for just about any team looking for a head coach at this point, maybe even the Eagles and Giants. Bringing him in by no means guarantees anything, but I don't think you're going to get anything much better than Cowher at this point. Plus if he went to the Eagles and Giants, he'd have the talent to take those teams to the next level right away, as opposed to having to completely rebuild teams like Miami, Jax, KC, etc.

All very good points.