[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did you survive with Matt Ryan?

delusions of grandeur

...Because you might be loving life now. As JUM mentioned in his ATN article, Ryan's recent performances coming off the bye have vaulted him to the #8 fantasy QB, with a remaining schedule that should continue to remain soft for production.

I've long said that Ryan would come around if the O-line in particular could improve, but looking back on the first 7 weeks before the bye, while he was serviceable with at least a TD in every game, he was nowhere near what people drafted him to be with a mid-round pick, thinking that this would be the year that Ryan hits that next level with a new toy in Julio.

Turner will continue to cap Ryan's upside some, especially against teams soft against the run; But now that the Falcons have started to get into a rhythm with Roddy turning the corner, I see them going back to the gameplan from the start of the year to air it out plenty and keep the score up on already-struggling teams and the Saints (who will probably force Ryan to chuck it to keep up). And if Julio can start connecting on those deep balls, the numbers could start getting pretty nasty with all 4 targets clicking.

So it begs the question, are you set up to potentially reap the rewards of a soft stretch for Ryan, or did he do you in before you could get to this point?

I took him in about round 5 or 6 IIRC, and Stafford in round 8 or 9. Been playing Staffoird every week. I have the high points total, and every week Ryan is more appealing to start. Im thinking I might roll with him this week. Believe it or not, the team with the high points (me), is 6-6 and pretty much a must win to make the playoffs.

And how. Mind you, he was my QB2 in a league we start 2. Brady is my QB1. But I started off 1-4 and am now 8-4 and have clinched a first round bye. So the next two weeks don't matter (next week is the last week of the regular season and the following is the first round of the playoffs).

When I picked up Tebow to get me through my bye weeks, I was looking ahead and wondering if I'd play the match-ups with him and Ryan down the stretch. But Ryan has been putting up good enough numbers to sort of end that talk.

I had Peyton and Bradford as my QBs coming out of the draft (Peyton in the fifth was just too tempting for me). After losng my first two weeks, i traded Fred Jackson for Ryan and Pettigrew (TE). I've gone 10-1 since. :wacko: With Freddy going to IR, I'm very happy with the move. I'm locked in as the #1 or #2 seed for the playoffs and will keep Ryan in my lineup throughout.

So it begs the question, are you set up to potentially reap the rewards of a soft stretch for Ryan, or did he do you in before you could get to this point?

Count me as one of the lucky ones to have survived his early play. Let's just hope he keeps it up. This week however, he'll be riding the pine for some "Tebow Time". :wacko:

My team that has Ryan is 6-9. I need to win this week and have the team just ahead of me in my division lose for me to make the playoffs. Poor stats from my RBs (Mendenhall, Greene, Ingram) have contributed to where I am more than Ryan's. He hasnt produced quite like I'd hoped, but he hasnt really been bad...

Wk Date Opp Comp-Att Yds TD-Int Fum Pts

1 09/11/11 @CHI 31-47 319 0-1 1 15

2 09/18/11 PHI 17-28 195 4-2 0 23

3 09/25/11 @TB 26-47 330 1-1 2 21

4 10/02/11 @SEA 28-42 291 1-0 0 17

5 10/09/11 GB 18-32 167 1-2 0 10

6 10/16/11 CAR 14-22 163 1-0 0 16

7 10/23/11 @DET 20-34 218 1-2 0 18

8 BYE - - - - - -

9 11/06/11 @IND 14-24 275 3-1 0 23

10 11/13/11 NO 29-52 351 2-1 0 25

11 11/20/11 TEN 22-32 316 1-0 0 19

12 11/27/11 MIN 27-34 262 3-0 0 22

13 12/04/11 @HOU - - - - -

14 12/11/11 @CAR - - - - -

15 12/15/11 JAC - - - - -

16 12/26/11 @NO - - - - -

17 01/01/12 TB - - - - -

FWIW, I was the last owner (of 12) to draft a starting QB and I was pretty happy to get Ryan at that time. He's currently sitting #9 for QB scoring in our format. Newton, Stafford, and Manning are the only QBs ahead of Ryan in our scoring that were not also drafted ahead of him. Newton was undrafted. Eli went later in the same round I took Ryan (6th). Stafford went two rounds after that. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have continued to wait on a QB and possibly would have gotten even better value had I picked one of the right players. At the time, I liked Ryan over Eli and Stafford and Bradford and others of that ilk, though. Never dreamed Newton would be doing what he is doing so he never even crossed my mind.

Ended up with Fitzpatrick as my backup. Got him in the 9th round and he's currently sitting at #12 in our QB scoring.

The funny thing is, my #6 ranking of Ryan pre-season was one of my biggest Oops - but he's quietly made progress. He could overtake Romo and Eli and actually hit #6 in a couple weeks. But I'm fully aware that he damaged many fantasy teams early.

Count me as one of the lucky ones to have survived his early play. Let's just hope he keeps it up. This week however, he'll be riding the pine for some "Tebow Time". :wacko:

Probably not a bad call... I knew the HOU Def has been playing well, but didn't realize that they're right at the top in yards, pass, rush and points agianst on D... But the 3 teams they've faced so far that are really capable of putting up big points (NO, OAK, BAL) have all put up big points on them (40, 25, 29). Other than PIT, the other teams they've shut down aren't really worth bragging about.

I think Ryan should do just fine, but this might be the one last week where you could sit him for a better matchup.

The funny thing is, my #6 ranking of Ryan pre-season was one of my biggest Oops - but he's quietly made progress. He could overtake Romo and Eli and actually hit #6 in a couple weeks. But I'm fully aware that he damaged many fantasy teams early.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much on this one, as your high ranking was not that much higher than most others who felt that Ryan would take the next step coming off a 3,700/28/9 season, and armed with plenty of weapons... I think most people probably drafted him around that Romo, Roeth, Schaub range after the top 5 "elite" guys fell off the board, so no matter who's gut you listened too, most probably overdrafted him.... Well actually, unless you drafted him over Romo, then you probably did get him around the range where he should have gone, unless you rolled the dice that Newton or Stafford's upside outweighed the risk.

And how. Mind you, he was my QB2 in a league we start 2. Brady is my QB1. But I started off 1-4 and am now 8-4 and have clinched a first round bye. So the next two weeks don't matter (next week is the last week of the regular season and the following is the first round of the playoffs).

When I picked up Tebow to get me through my bye weeks, I was looking ahead and wondering if I'd play the match-ups with him and Ryan down the stretch. But Ryan has been putting up good enough numbers to sort of end that talk.

Don't have that luxury of starting him as my QB2 along side a guy like Brady but I too have Ryan and Tebow. In the middle of the season I survived a few weeks playing match-ups and as much as the match-ups this week look great for the chosen one I cannot ignore how well Ryan and the passing game have flourished of late. Playoffs on the line... match-ups and upside vs what have you done for me lately.