[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stash and Hope for the Playoffs

MTSuper7

Last week, knowing Caleb Hanie was going to be taking over for Jay Cutler, I decided to pick up Johnny Knox to see if maybe the QB change would result in a bunp in value. In competitve leagues, you can't afford to wait for the results because someone else will have waiver priority over you. Whether or not Knox is going to pan out is irrelevant to this thread, but what is relevant is the fact that here was a guy whose situation was about to change, so he could be worth a flier as someone who could help win a championship, particularly if an injury strikes and you need to call in some reinforcements.

Who do you see as a good stash and hope guy to increase your bench strength going into the fantasy playoffs (and why)? I'll give you a few of my thoughts:

Kendall Hunter - This one is somewhat obvious if you follow the free agent forecast, but reality is that the 49ers are probably going to have little incentive to grind Frank Gore into the ground in weeks 15-17 with a division title wrapped up. Of course, they could have a first round bye at stake, but it's worth stashing Hunter to see what happens. You could add Ben Tate into this same line of thinking if the Texans can win the division with a few weeks left (Tennessee is two games behind them at the moment.)

Steve Breaston and/or Jon Baldwin - They might already be on rosters, but my thinking here is that Kyle Orton will eventually take over as QB of the Chiefs, and so it stands to reason that Orton might develop a rapport with one of these guys. Bowe is probably the biggest beneficiary, but you never really know.

Joel Dreessen / Owen Daniels - Daniels is surely on a roster already in most leagues, but my thought here is that T.J. Yates, being a rookie, may end up leaning on his TEs more than Schaub or Leinart. Dreessen is probably a stretch to get a ton of targets, but who knows. The playcalling stands to be pretty safe / vanilla at first with Yates, and I'm guessing maybe more two tight end sets, so Dreessen could be on the field a little more often for play action passes.

Jared Cook - If the Titans fall out of the playoff hunt over the next two weeks, I like Cook a lot if the team turns the reins over to Jake Locker (or if Hasselbeck gets hurt, which is a definite possibility). I forget the exact number, but Cook had a least five targets in the second half of the game that Locker had to finish against Atlanta. And in general, he could be valuable as he has seen 16 targets the last two weeks.

D.J. Ware - Jacobs hasn't been getting it done, and who knows what is going to happen to Bradshaw. But Ware had a slew of catches last week, and he will probably be busy in the passing game again this week as the Giants try to keep pace with Green Bay. Coughlin could get fed up with Jacobs' lack of production and give Ware more opportunities. Again, who knows...

Early Doucet / Andre Roberts - This is a real hope and pray pick, but with Kevin Kolb coming back from injury, it is possible that one of these secondary guys becomes more relevant.

Marcedes Lewis - Surprises me that he's still a free agent in some of my leagues, but he's been targeted heavily and is, in essence, the #1 WR in Jacksonville. That's not saying much, but it's something at least...

Ben Obomanu - With Sidney Rice out, he will get a chance. Not really an exciting stash guy, but in deep leagues could be worth hanging onto for a week or two to see...

Malcom Floyd / Jacoby Ford / Denarius Moore / Danario Alexander - Could be valuable down the stretch but have become forgotten in some leagues due to their injuries.

good call on Hunter and Tate.

I have acquired Hunter recently for the playoff run.

I had Tate stashed on the bench when Foster initially got hurt early in the season.

Moore should be back this week as I read that he was close to playing last week.

Ford, I hope he gets better after this week. If he does, he is a sneaky play especially if your league has return game.

Surprising read of the news that Floyd is making a start after almost being put on IR. Brown was average, but could not capitalize like L.Robinson of DAL did.

I'm still keeping H.Douglas ATL WR. I see the same scenario for the Super Bowl week as ATL may rest J.Jones if they secure a playoff spot.

The 49ers are up one game on the Saints so I think they will continue to exhaust all of their resources to get that first round bye. With that said, there is always the possibility that Gore gets hurt. I'm just saying, if Gore stays healthy, I don't see Hunter getting an increase in touches in that offense. Just my opinion.

Traded quality depth in WR (D.Nelson, Buf) for J.Best 2 days before he was IR'd.

I was assured a playoff spot and a 1st round bye. Best holder was fighting for a playoff spot.

Big risk for me looking for a big payoff. Well - lost out on that one.

picked up Vereen in one league and picked up DBaldwin (SEA) after Rice was IRd

Jacquizz Rodgers

I thought about him too... But he would be more valuable if the Falcons had a tougher schedule (meaning they need to throw more). Instead, they get Carolina and Jacksonville after this week. Unless Turner and Snelling get hurt, I don't see it happening for him.