[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would someone care to explain to me...

detlef

Easy there, I think you're over-blowing a few things. I understand that you can't predict who is going to be good by week 13. Had this match-up been Philly vs SD, a match-up that was supposed to be good but actually featured two teams that were playing like crap, I'd understand.

But there's 16 MNF games (appears no MNF in week 17), so a total of 32 teams will play on it. That means either ever team gets on there once (and that's not what I'm asking for) or you give teams like the Packers, Pats, Cowboys, Eagles, and Steelers a few games each and a few teams get left out in the cold.

Jacksonville, btw, would be a fine candidate for being left out of the mix, because there's not even enough people in Jacksonville who give two poops about them, why would they think anyone outside of Jacksonville cares? But, not only are they not on the list of teams who lose their spot so that we can get seconds of the Saints or Packers, they're one of the teams getting seconds themselves?

Unless, as was pointed out somewhat jokingly I might add, that they were trying to help dude sell his team.

PHI-SD would be more of a SNF matchup, that is my point MNF is not the marquee games it used to be (when on ABC). The switch of SNF to NBC and MNF to ESPN/TNT has swapped the Sunday/Monday games. Is SD-JAX any worse than the type of games that used to be on SNF when it ESPN/TNT?

I get your point about Jags not having a lot of fans, having trouble selling out games etc.

There are only so many times a team can appear in primetime (according to NFL TV broadcast/scheduling rules). That max is 6 I believe (5 if one isn't on NFLN), and a max of 3-4 on SNF. So SNF gets the best matchups with the best teams (for the biggest ratings) and MNF ans TNF get the scraps.

PS Wasn't SD like 9-7 last year, how are they that much more worthy than JAX? Sorry but it just sounds like you're hating on the Jags being shown in primetime, when they are not that bad (compared to perennial bottom feeders like the Browns, Rams and Lions before their recent improvement).

PHI-SD would be more of a SNF matchup, that is my point MNF is not the marquee games it used to be (when on ABC). The switch of SNF to NBC and MNF to ESPN/TNT has swapped the Sunday/Monday games. Is SD-JAX any worse than the type of games that used to be on SNF when it ESPN/TNT?

I get your point about Jags not having a lot of fans, having trouble selling out games etc.

There are only so many times a team can appear in primetime (according to NFL TV broadcast/scheduling rules). That max is 6 I believe (5 if one isn't on NFLN), and a max of 3-4 on SNF. So SNF gets the best matchups with the best teams (for the biggest ratings) and MNF ans TNF get the scraps.

PS Wasn't SD like 9-7 last year, how are they that much more worthy than JAX? Sorry but it just sounds like you're hating on the Jags being shown in primetime, when they are not that bad (compared to perennial bottom feeders like the Browns, Rams and Lions before their recent improvement).

No, in fact, I've defended the Jags in threads where people have implied that more people would watch them if they were any good. That's the thing, they're not really all that bad a team historically. Hell, they were pretty damned good and not that long after they started. And even since then, they've been OK. Certainly better than plenty of other teams who don't have any trouble filling their house. So this is not being about them not being a good enough team. Because, like you said, there are worse. And I'm not even pissed. Fortunately, I didn't have a FF stake in the game last night so my wife an I finished setting up the tree and all that. Just like I probably wouldn't have watched if it was two big market teams that were supposed to be good but really suck.

Rather, it's all about my amazement that someone thought it would be a good idea to give them a 2nd prime time game. That's really it.

Their average attendance is 62K, as a comparison, do you know how large Chicago's stadium is?

Interesting, so they're 25th in attendance this year. And about that every year of late. I would have guessed worse (though I wonder if anyone else is as consistently bad, in other words, where do they rank, total, over the last 5 years or so). So, I wonder why everyone is always talking about blackouts and relocating the team?

I also wonder about the data. How many of those tickets sold are bought up in bunches to avoid black-outs and the like.

And yes, Chicago's stadium, one they seem to sell out every game, is smaller than that.

No, in fact, I've defended the Jags in threads where people have implied that more people would watch them if they were any good. That's the thing, they're not really all that bad a team historically. Hell, they were pretty damned good and not that long after they started. And even since then, they've been OK. Certainly better than plenty of other teams who don't have any trouble filling their house. So this is not being about them not being a good enough team. Because, like you said, there are worse. And I'm not even pissed. Fortunately, I didn't have a FF stake in the game last night so my wife an I finished setting up the tree and all that. Just like I probably wouldn't have watched if it was two big market teams that were supposed to be good but really suck.

Rather, it's all about my amazement that someone thought it would be a good idea to give them a 2nd prime time game. That's really it.

OK, check out this link at 506.com, this page shows all the primetime matchups at once, so you can easily see who got games and who didn't.

506.com NFL map index

(NFL scheduling is a very :wacko: type of topic, and the guys at 506.com are really into it.)

Jags have 3 including an upcoming TNF game vs ATL. Three does seem to be a lot, and two at home. All 3 though are against pretty good teams (BAL, SD, ATL). Contrast that with other teams that are not so good recently (CLE with one vs PIT on TNF) or CIN (who ar much improved now but has 0 prime time games).

Sometimes I think it just boils down to the scheduling and what games are available, vs. teams that are maxed out or being left for othre (better) matchups.

Interesting, so they're 25th in attendance this year. And about that every year of late. I would have guessed worse (though I wonder if anyone else is as consistently bad, in other words, where do they rank, total, over the last 5 years or so). So, I wonder why everyone is always talking about blackouts and relocating the team?

I also wonder about the data. How many of those tickets sold are bought up in bunches to avoid black-outs and the like.

And yes, Chicago's stadium, one they seem to sell out every game, is smaller than that.

I would have never guessed that judging by the amount of people dressed as empty seats during the game. That will never change as long as they are stuck in Jacksonville.

Setting aside the fact that Sunday night is the marquee NFL night, this HAS been a lousy year for MNF. As a Lions fan, I liked week 5 in the smackdown at Ford Field of the Bears, and the Giants-Saints game in week 12 was at least relevant, but most of the MNF games this year have been yawners. Of course, I watch 'em anyhow, since almost every week there is FF relevance, but I would groan a lot less if they had some better games.

Maybe the NFL can develop some flex scheduling mid-season someday to avoid snoozers like SEA-STL. That being said, I have Marshawn Lynch in two leagues this week (one as a playoff game and one for a #1 seed) so of course my fantasy-addicted self will be watching every freaking play.

Edited by historymike

Setting aside the fact that Sunday night is the marquee NFL night, this HAS been a lousy year for MNF. As a Lions fan, I liked week 5 in the smackdown at Ford Field of the Bears, and the Giants-Saints game in week 12 was at least relevant, but most of the MNF games this year have been yawners. Of course, I watch 'em anyhow, since almost every week there is FF relevance, but I would groan a lot less if they had some better games.

Maybe the NFL can develop some flex scheduling mid-season someday to avoid snoozers like SEA-STL. That being said, I have Marshawn Lynch in two leagues this week (one as a playoff game and one for a #1 seed) so of course my fantasy-addicted self will be watching every freaking play.

While that may be good for TV viewers, I doubt it will happen. There's a lot less trouble moving a game from early afternoon to later that evening than there would be moving them to another day. Back when ABC still had MNF, they were asking for flexible scheduling, but it only happened later after the marquee match ups were moved to SNF.

Back in the 90s before I had cable I recall my friends telling me about the Sunday night games I was missing. Many times the matchups were dogs, similar to those we have today on MNF.

While that may be good for TV viewers, I doubt it will happen. There's a lot less trouble moving a game from early afternoon to later that evening than there would be moving them to another day. Back when ABC still had MNF, they were asking for flexible scheduling, but it only happened later after the marquee match ups were moved to SNF.

Back in the 90s before I had cable I recall my friends telling me about the Sunday night games I was missing. Many times the matchups were dogs, similar to those we have today on MNF.

I completely understand the no-flex rationale with MNF. Makes total sense. What I can't agree with is your bit about it no longer being about marquee match-ups. If you look at this year's match-ups, most of them make sense, or at least seemed like they would have made sense had things not gone wrong. But I've already conceded that they can't tell the future and some games that seemed like they were supposed to be good may not. Hell, take next Monday. Seattle v St. Louis. Last year, that game at this point in the season, may have settled the division. And given how Bradford looked last year, you could have pegged them for an up and comer.

There's some other cool division rivalries, names you'd expect to see on a prime time tilt, and then there's Jacksonville. Not once, but twice.

I completely understand the no-flex rationale with MNF. Makes total sense. What I can't agree with is your bit about it no longer being about marquee match-ups. If you look at this year's match-ups, most of them make sense, or at least seemed like they would have made sense had things not gone wrong. But I've already conceded that they can't tell the future and some games that seemed like they were supposed to be good may not. Hell, take next Monday. Seattle v St. Louis. Last year, that game at this point in the season, may have settled the division. And given how Bradford looked last year, you could have pegged them for an up and comer.

There's some other cool division rivalries, names you'd expect to see on a prime time tilt, and then there's Jacksonville. Not once, but twice.

They are not marquee compared to SNF and compared to the "game of the week" type games on Sunday afternoons. They are lesser contests, slightly above a TNF game.