[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning's future in Indy in doubt?

tazinib1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really don't see any way Manning's on the Colts next year.

what?

are you serious?

I really dont understand how this happens, every year.

Manning is a franchise QB. He put fans in the seats. he's one of the best to ever play the game. He has the ability to go right on after his QB career, and coach for the Colts. Why in the hell would they get rid of him? they just gave him a big fat new contract. he's basically proven he's the MVP of the entire millenium, because he gets hurt and they go 0-16 or close to it. With him, they average 10+ wins a season.

Manning is going to go down as the greatest QB to ever play the game, for the entire history of the NFL and until the end of it. Period. No way the Colts let that slide, just because they get a chance at yet another first round QB. Every year there are QBs that slated to be the best rookie we've ever seen and blah blah.

None of them are/will be Manning.

edit: my point for bringing all this up, is that Peyton is exactly what you want in a player/QB. he's perfect. Ok he's got more than 10 years under his belt, so did Favre, for more than 10 years. I'm not a Colts fan, but with the Colts going 0-16 (or close to it) when Manning goes out, he's proven, to me at least, he's the greatest QB to ever EVER live and play. No other QB can say that without them, their team is losing 100% of their games. Brady went out, and the Pats still were highly competitive. Hell, Manning is so important to that team, and everything hinges on him so much, that he goes out and even the traffic lights wrapped it up for the season.

Edited by LooGie

what?

are you serious?

I really dont understand how this happens, every year.

Manning is a franchise QB. He put fans in the seats. he's one of the best to ever play the game. He has the ability to go right on after his QB career, and coach for the Colts. Why in the hell would they get rid of him? they just gave him a big fat new contract. he's basically proven he's the MVP of the entire millenium, because he gets hurt and they go 0-16 or close to it. With him, they average 10+ wins a season.

Manning is going to go down as the greatest QB to ever play the game, for the entire history of the NFL and until the end of it. Period. No way the Colts let that slide, just because they get a chance at yet another first round QB. Every year there are QBs that slated to be the best rookie we've ever seen and blah blah.

None of them are/will be Manning.

1) they just handed him a bunch of money and will have to either move him or hand him $28 million more before next year, plus next year's salary

2) Regardless of how great he's been, they owe it the franchise to decide what is best going forward. I realize the Niners had a proven guy in the stable already, but they let Joe Montana walk...

3) Every year we are not talking about a guy like Luck.

The $28 million roster bonus is gonna be the deciding factor.

Option #1 - Manning cannot prove to the Colts that he is recovered from his neck surgery by March. The Colts release him and draft Andrew Luck.

Option #2 - Manning is not healthy enough and the Colts pay him his roster bonus anyway, and draft Andrew Luck as insurance. Luck is the starter if Manning is not ready. Luck sits and learns if Manning is ready. The only way this happens is if Irsay decides he has $28 million lying around and is prepared to take a massive cap hit in the future.

Option #3 - Manning is healthy enough, the Colts pay him his roster bonus, and draft Andrew Luck to sit an learn.

Option #4 - The Colts feel Manning will be healthy and have several more productive years. They trade the #1 pick.

Option #5 - Manning retires. The Colts draft Andrew Luck.

Edited by CaptainHook

1) they just handed him a bunch of money and will have to either move him or hand him $28 million more before next year, plus next year's salary

And that's early March so it will be interesting to see what transpires before the April draft.

Option #1 - Manning cannot prove to the Colts that he is recovered from his neck surgery by March. The Colts release him and draft Andrew Luck.

Option #2 - Manning is not healthy enough and the Colts pay him his roster bonus and draft Andrew Luck as insurance. The only way this happens is if Irsay decides he has $28 million lying around and is prepared to take a massive cap hit in the future.

Option #3 - Manning is healthy enough, the Colts pay him his roster bonus and draft Andrew Luck to sit an learn.

Option #4 - The Colts feel Manning will be healthy and have several more productive years. They trade the #1 pick.

Great post...didn't see it before I posted.

puts indy in a tough spot, to be sure. glad I am not the one making that call.

thing is, it seems like you could get a team to ransom a mighty bounty for that pick this year. this is probably the way to go. but then you bring up the franchise history, with that other stanford QB who was pretty good, and maybe that boxes them in a little on that side.

if manning is healthy though, I don't know how you let him go to another team. to my mind, that option comes off the table first. it just does.

I am not sure I see anyway they find someone to trade for Manning.

With the unknown future of his injury, the high contract that is left and the return Indy will want from the trade.

I may be out of touch, but my 2 cents...

i'm no doctor, but a fused vertebrae just doesn't sound all that good. how serious is this injury? i'm thinking why doesn't the guy just hang it up, be a coach or a broadcaster and enjoy your millions, your family, and a great life. what's left to prove? i'm going to wince every time the guy takes a shot wondering if his head is going to pop off ...

I am not sure I see anyway they find someone to trade for Manning.

With the unknown future of his injury, the high contract that is left and the return Indy will want from the trade.

I may be out of touch, but my 2 cents...

I don't think that's an option due to the roster bonus. It's either keep Manning or release him before the $28 million is due.

i'm no doctor, but a fused vertebrae just doesn't sound all that good. how serious is this injury? i'm thinking why doesn't the guy just hang it up, be a coach or a broadcaster and enjoy your millions, your family, and a great life. what's left to prove? i'm going to wince every time the guy takes a shot wondering if his head is going to pop off ...

Apparently it's not an uncommon surgery in the NFL. Manning stated in his pre game interview with CBS that he wants and intends to play.

Apparently it's not an uncommon surgery in the NFL. Manning stated in his pre game interview with CBS that he wants and intends to play.

The real problem was the his surgery didn't even take the first time. I am not sure he plays again but if he does there is a better then fair chance it will be on a different team next year. I am sure he wants and intends to play but he certainly is not fast healer these days. I am thinking more and more it is a career ending injury. Just a guess as we certainly don't have all the facts.

As great as he is it is pretty common for old star QB's to move on down the road. I could see them keeping him for another year as a player/mentor if he has designs on coaching or ownership. The money is huge but he is a legend they may feel is worth every penny.

Edited by Ice1

and with the haul they could bring in for the luck pick, and the first pick in each subsequent round, they could be poised for a whole new 3-4 year title window.

And that is the thing. The way Manning plays the position, 36 is not as old as would be for some, and he's a bird in hand, provided he's healthy.

I'm really curious what they could get for that pick, especially now that the rookie salary structure prevents it from being a $80 million contract. It could be the Ricky Williams deal and then some.

And, assuming Manning is good to go, which is a big "if", they're one of very few teams who could sell that decision to their fan base. Hell, if Manning's healthy, they could get a mountain of picks, fill some needs, and still spend a reasonably early pick on a QB so they don't go through this Painter crap again. It seems like a somewhat deep draft at the position, so they might find a guy who can actually play the position at this level, given a few years, in the 2nd or 3rd round and, like NE this year, have enough picks that they can afford to pick one up.

All that being said, I could also see them turn the page, assuming Manning doesn't impress in his workouts between now and March.

ETA: In fact, who's a better prospect taken in this light? Luck getting thrown to the wolves or Barkley with a couple of years studying under Manning? They could trade back to later in the top 10, gathering a bunch of picks in the process, and get a guy considered by many to be nearly as good, but not have to start him. And if Manning's neck gives out, they've got a guy projected to be pretty top-notch in the wings.

Edited by detlef

2) Regardless of how great he's been, they owe it the franchise to decide what is best going forward. I realize the Niners had a proven guy in the stable already, but they let Joe Montana walk...

3) Every year we are not talking about a guy like Luck.

#3 is simply not true. From Alex Smith, Stafford, Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, the list goes on and on, every year, we are not talking about a QB/RB like *BLANK*. Reggie Bush, whatever. it's always the same song and dance, every single year.

#3 is simply not true. From Alex Smith, Stafford, Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, the list goes on and on, every year, we are not talking about a QB/RB like *BLANK*. Reggie Bush, whatever. it's always the same song and dance, every single year.

You lost me at Alex Smith. I'm a NIner fan and remember that draft vividly. That was about the most unenthusiastic #1 pick I can ever remember. We were begging anyone to take that pick off our hands, but nobody wanted to get stuck with paying #1 money. I also don't recall much hype on Stafford and there were certainly no shortage of doubters with Newton. And Palmer was 10 years ago, even if there was mad hysteria about him.

And Bush wasn't even the #1 pick, so there's that.

It is absolutely not the same song and dance every year. Or, at least, it's not like this every year. Guys are just bringing up other names for the sake of conversation because it's been assumed, since fall 2010, that Luck would be the #1 pick whenever he came out.

Edited by detlef

Option #2 - Manning is not healthy enough and the Colts pay him his roster bonus anyway, and draft Andrew Luck as insurance. Luck is the starter if Manning is not ready. Luck sits and learns if Manning is ready. The only way this happens is if Irsay decides he has $28 million lying around and is prepared to take a massive cap hit in the future.

Option #3 - Manning is healthy enough, the Colts pay him his roster bonus, and draft Andrew Luck to sit an learn.

Is it possible that Peyton can rework his contract, so all that money isn't due?

if so, I'd bet the farm that's what he does.

JaMarcus Russel . . . David Carr . . . Alex Smith . . . Tim Couch . . . There have been a lot of QB's taken #1 with a lot of question marks about their pro potential. Frankly, there have been a few that had "BUST POTENTIAL" written all over them. Like the four I mentioned. Luck is the closest thing to a sure thing you can get.

Edited by CaptainHook

You lost me at Alex Smith. I'm a NIner fan and remember that draft vividly. That was about the most unenthusiastic #1 pick I can ever remember. We were begging anyone to take that pick off our hands, but nobody wanted to get stuck with paying #1 money. I also don't recall much hype on Stafford and there were certainly no shortage of doubters with Newton. And Palmer was 10 years ago, even if there was mad hysteria about him.

And Bush wasn't even the #1 pick, so there's that.

It is absolutely not the same song and dance every year.

You're splitting hairs with the Bush pick. it wasn't the first pick, only because HOU didn't draft him. He was still the greatest thing ever (tongue in cheek) and should have went #1, (ok, in hindsight it wasn't a bad decision to not draft him, but at the time, it was pretty much certain) .

My point is, you have tons of time to look back through those 20/20 hindsight goggles, but Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers hypse was every where, all QBs in the first round are hyped up and could be just what the dr ordered for whatever team sucked enough to get that pick high enough to get the player.

Next year, we'll be having the SAME conversation, and the year after, and the year after, AND the year after. Leinart was another. It's always the same crap. I'm not talking about first overall pick, I'm talking about the best QBs to come out of every class. Same song and dance. always.

Edited by LooGie

Is it possible that Peyton can rework his contract, so all that money isn't due?

if so, I'd bet the farm that's what he does.

That just never seems to happen. How many of us want to do the same amount of work for less money than agreed and teach your replacement?

JaMarcus Russel . . . David Carr . . . Alex Smith . . . Tim Couch . . . There have been a lot of QB's taken #1 with a lot of question marks about their pro potential. Frankly, there have been a few that has "BUST POTENTIAL" written all over them. Like the four I mentioned. Luck is the closest thing to a sure thing you can get.

A tad unfair to Alex Smith to call him a bust, IMO.