[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning's future in Indy in doubt?

tazinib1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first surgery was before the 2010 season.

The second surgery was the same procedure during the lockout. The third surgery was the fusion surgery.

Which goes to the point that he is high risk, getting old, breaking down, and a strong candidate to be moved for assets, released, or kept and drafting Luck.

Fusion surgery in the neck area is not really a good thing as it relates to football. The cervical spinal area is not that strong so impact could be an issue. It does restrict some mobility. On the positive side it will not allow disc movement which is what causes pain as nerves will not be impacted because the disc can't move and rest on said nerve.

Manning is a smart guy and I am sure knows the risks and will evaluate accordingly based on recovery but there are risks.

I would draft Luck in a heartbeat if I ran the Colts as he sure looks like the type of player that doesn't come along very often. That said, no telling if he will even play for the Colts. There could be a situation much like Eli developing where he may force a deal to move to another team.

Apparently the Luck's and Manning's are friends and both dad's have always had much control from the jump to the big stage.

Should be interesting.

and with the haul they could bring in for the luck pick, and the first pick in each subsequent round, they could be poised for a whole new 3-4 year title window.

:wacko:

This here is a VERY good point. This, without question, gives the Colts the best chance to win a Super Bowl in the next few years.

Luck is the most surefire QB prospect, no-doubt-about-it-#1-pick arguably since john elway. still doesn't make him a lock to be a great player, but he is as close to being a lock as any college prospect can get. comparing him to alex smith and tim couch because they went #1 is pointless and silly IMO.

still, you are committing to a rebuilding phase, and to the chance, however small, that he fails to live up to expectations. he may represent the awesomest draft pick in the history of draft picks (and in truth he is probably pretty close to that), but he's still just a draft pick. when your other option is arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game, to me, that's the direction you go in. :wacko:

Luck is the most surefire QB prospect, no-doubt-about-it-#1-pick arguably since john elway. still doesn't make him a lock to be a great player, but he is as close to being a lock as any college prospect can get. comparing him to alex smith and tim couch because they went #1 is pointless and silly IMO.

still, you are committing to a rebuilding phase, and to the chance, however small, that he fails to live up to expectations. he may represent the awesomest draft pick in the history of draft picks (and in truth he is probably pretty close to that), but he's still just a draft pick. when your other option is arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game, to me, that's the direction you go in. :wacko:

Can someone explain to me why Luck is so hyped, I'm not asking to cause an argument or to be ignorant, I litteraly don't know because I live in Canada and have we get ZERO coverage on US college sports, so all I can go by is stats, and from what I see in the stats, I'm not THAT impressed, although there are good, they aren't mind blowing.....but again I have not seen him play.

2011- 24th in yards with 3170, with 35td's and 9ints 167 passer rating

2010- 16th in yards with 3338, with 32td's and 8ints 170 passer rating

2009- 50th in yards with 2575, with 13td's and 4 ints 143 passer rating

Can someone explain to me why Luck is so hyped, I'm not asking to cause an argument or to be ignorant, I litteraly don't know because I live in Canada and have we get ZERO coverage on US college sports, so all I can go by is stats, and from what I see in the stats, I'm not THAT impressed, although there are good, they aren't mind blowing.....but again I have not seen him play.

2011- 24th in yards with 3170, with 35td's and 9ints 167 passer rating

2010- 16th in yards with 3338, with 32td's and 8ints 170 passer rating

2009- 50th in yards with 2575, with 13td's and 4 ints 143 passer rating

Tons of intangibles, read this article for some insight: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotrea...-pick-nfl-draft

Some quotes:

"But I'll give you the play he made against Southern Cal last year, one of the most physical plays you'll see. You see everything the kid's got: the speed, the strength, the courage, the will."

"He has the physical tools, the mental makeup, all the intangibles."

"He is as good a competitor as you will ever see."

Etc., etc., etc.

But it's not. We might here it from Kiper, but his job is to make a big deal about the draft. The chorus never resonates like it is right now. Everybody who is not specifically trying to be contrarian is saying it. And, most of us who have been following the sport for some time can tell the difference between the run that Luck is getting and someone making a case for why so and so should be the #1 pick in any given year.

Hell, the same people who have made the argument you're agreeing with "backed it up" by pointing out specific players that were anything but hyped coming out but basically were chosen #1 by default.

I'll admit I don't follow college football much, or the draft that much. But it just seems like every year I hear people making the "closest to a can't miss/sure thing ever" statement.

I didn't try to provide examples because I'm just not familiar with that stuff.

As Azazello1313 says, while Luck may be close to a can't miss, Peyton has proven he is great, and if he can continue to play that way (big if, up to he and the Colts to figure out before March or April) then why not keep playing him. Or if the future is more important trade him and pick Luck for the future and rebuild.

I'll try to read Hugh One's link as well to get more informed.

I'll admit I don't follow college football much, or the draft that much. But it just seems like every year I hear people making the "closest to a can't miss/sure thing ever" statement.

actually, most every year I can remember, they talk about how so and so non-QB is clearly the best player in the draft, but the team sucky enough to have the first pick almost HAS to take the best QB available, blah blah blah. that was pretty much the case with newton (a lot of people had doubts), bradford (coming off major injury), jamarcus (major questions about work ethic and such), alex smith (a plug-your-nose #1 if ever there was one), eli (many people thought ben and rivers were as good or better prospects), tim couch (seriously?), even peyton (the ryan leaf debate). vick is the closest thing I can think of to a true absolute no-brainer consensus #1 QB going all the way back to elway.

Apparently it's not an uncommon surgery in the NFL. Manning stated in his pre game interview with CBS that he wants and intends to play.

Along with what Payton pointed out himself in that interview ( "... intends to play.") I didn't see anyone point out the points Archie made on ESPN's The Herd when he was interviewed by Cowherd yesterday where he emphasized the same ... "health permitting'. The other most revealing statements were when he pointed out that Peyton would not let himself get involved in a situation like the one that developed in GB, when the development of Rodgers put Farve in a disguntled position and "forced" a trade.

It was also interesting to hear how Luck came to Peyton's football camp back when he was in 8th grade ... and has been a college councilor for the past couple of yrs. So they do have a relationship.

So, for what it's worth,here's my take:

Luck is going to be considered too valuable to sit on the bench ... anybody's bench. That, and along with what I heard his Dad say as well, is why we'll see Peyton following not only the footsteps of Archie, but many other Qbs over the yrs, move out of the way in Indy and on to a "new" venture on a "new" team.

Along with what Payton pointed out himself in that interview ( "... intends to play.") I didn't see anyone point out the points Archie made on ESPN's The Herd when he was interviewed by Cowherd yesterday where he emphasized the same ... "health permitting'. The other most revealing statements were when he pointed out that Peyton would not let himself get involved in a situation like the one that developed in GB, when the development of Rodgers put Farve in a disguntled position and "forced" a trade.

It was also interesting to hear how Luck came to Peyton's football camp back when he was in 8th grade ... and has been a college councilor for the past couple of yrs. So they do have a relationship.

So, for what it's worth,here's my take:

Luck is going to be considered too valuable to sit on the bench ... anybody's bench. That, and along with what I heard his Dad say as well, is why we'll see Peyton following not only the footsteps of Archie, but many other Qbs over the yrs, move out of the way in Indy and on to a "new" venture on a "new" team.

I heard the same interview yesterday, and have been laughing about how much PFT is trying to create contreversy out of Archie's comments. He was very open and honest about how much he likes Luck and other things, but the only remotely concrete thing he said in that interview is "we'll see where Peyton is physically"....

As for Luck, I've not watched much of Barkley or RG3 to say how mcuh better he might be than the other top QBs coming out, but are either one of them allowed to frequently call their own plays out of no-huddle? In addition to everything else, it's obviously his football smarts and ability to read and adjust to defenses a la Peyton Manning why people think he's such a can't miss prospect...

"we'll see where Peyton is physically"....

No doubt about it ... money, fame or even the love of the game (hmmm ... got a nice ring to it) none can trump the finality of health.

Regardless of any success of surgeries past or future on a delicate thing like the neck.... it still could all come down to one bad hit.

per rotoworld

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi believes the Colts can indeed trade Peyton Manning if they get Manning to rework his $28 million option bonus.

"There are a lot of ways to get around this, but clearly re-doing the contract is the first step," said Lombardi, a former NFL GM. Manning's $28 million option is due right around the start of the new league year, so the Colts will need quick cooperation from both Peyton and another team in order to pull this off, particularly if Manning won't delay the payment. Lombardi suspects the Colts will try to trade him out of the conference to an NFC team, suggesting the Redskins. "Lot of money, lot of availability," said Lombardi. "And oh, by the way, they really need a quarterback badly. They need a signature face on their franchise."

Related: Redskins

Source: NFL.com

Dec 7 - 9:31 PM

The Redskins??? :wacko:

Comments from Chris Mortenson on Peyton's situation. I find he's wrong about 1/2 the time but I'm posting anyway..

It is exactly what I have been saying for a month. The biggest question that must be answered is Peyton's health. But if he is healthy or projected as healthy, there is no way he would want to be part of this Manning/Luck circus. And I don't think Peyton would be bitter about it; he'd understand it. It would be just time to move on if the Colts wanted Luck. This is not a mentoring deal. Aaron Rodgers was the 25th pick, not the first pick. Jon Kitna "mentored" Carson Palmer for a year. Kitna is not Peyton Manning. Redskins and Dolphins make sense. Maybe even Broncos. Maybe the Jets, depending on how things finish. But first things first - Peyton's health to be determined.

I have to imagine there are teams that would be willing to give up a lot for Peyton's services. Look at the Palmer deal the Raiders made, it would be a huge trade. Just imagine him going to a team like the 49ers or Ravens, instant SB favorites, huge power shift. If he has any say in a deal, I can't imagine him going to a team that would be in a rebuilding mode, or with a coaching staff he doesn't like.

umm, no, because manning was not a "no-doubt-about-it-#1-pick". we laugh about it now, but people were pretty evenly divided on the question of him or ryan leaf.

There was some debate, but it wasn't even. I'll give you that it wasn't as unanimous as it is now with Luck, but for the most part, it seemed pretty clear Manning was going to be the guy. There was just a reasonably loud "What about Leaf?" contingent. I had a roommate who was a huge Vols fan, so it was pretty closely followed in our house.