[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Salting the wound...

Grogansghost

In my main league I squeezed into the playoffs with a 6-7 record. Looking back at various WDIS decisions - I could've been 11-2.

I'm curious how often wins and losses come down to WDIS mistakes? This year I was lucky enough to draft good depth - which sounds great, but really only taught me that I have a great talent for starting the wrong players.

What could your record have been?

wk 4 L 98-110 Starting Gore instead of Benson and AJ Green over S. Johnson would have won.

wk 5 L 97-112 Starting any two of the following would've won: Big Ben over Cam; Benson or Carter over Addai; AJ over S. Johnson.

wk 7 L 99-106 Carter over Addai would've won

wk 10 L 70-91 - No coaching changes could've saved that turd of a game.

wk 11 L 93-101 - Crabtree over S. Johson or Damian Williams would've won

wk 12 L 74-76 S. Johnson over Wallace or Crabtree; Gerhart over Rice or Sproles would've won.

wk 13 L 131-153 - no changes could've won

2 stick out to me, 1 was starting Taiwan Jones over McGahee a few weeks ago. The other, starting Antonio Brown over Fitz a few backs back. I would have made playoffs in 2 seperate leagues if it wasn't those decisions.

I remember those two because I told myself I'm rolling the dice and both back fired.

Just looked at it and none of my starter decisions really cost me games. Unless you could count a few times where I should have started say Doug Baldwin or Early Doucet over VJax or LFitz. Another one that couldn't have been foreseen was a couple weeks ago starting St Louis D over the Cowboys, which would have given me a tie I would have lost due to tie-breakers...

My big problem this year was/is that people would have hugh games against me:

Examples:

Week 5 - Green Ellis went for 31 (my team tanked, Ryan, LFitz and VJax accounted for 21 total points)

Week 12 - Cedric Benson 25, Brees 46

Just looked at it and none of my starter decisions really cost me games. Unless you could count a few times where I should have started say Doug Baldwin or Early Doucet over VJax or LFitz. Another one that couldn't have been foreseen was a couple weeks ago starting St Louis D over the Cowboys, which would have given me a tie I would have lost due to tie-breakers...

My big problem this year was/is that people would have hugh games against me:

Examples:

Week 5 - Green Ellis went for 31 (my team tanked, Ryan, LFitz and VJax accounted for 21 total points)

Week 12 - Cedric Benson 25, Brees 46

I hate going up against the outlier performance of the week - (last week I played against Mendenhall and Greene).

Benson and Brees week 12 is rough.

Finished 8-5 and won my division, only had 2 weeks decided by a lineup decision, and 1 really wasn't "my fault".

Lost by 4.5 a couple weeks ago when VJax went for 25.5 against the Bears. I had benched him on a hunch that GB might actually run the ball a little against TB who was on an awful awful streak against the run. Starks did get 11, but leaving VJax in would have made the difference.

The only other one where I could have made a difference was Wk3. I played the same lineup wks 1 and 2, wk 3 I subbed in Ben Tate and Kenny Britt who were both huge in wks 1 and 2 for Bradshaw and Felix who were both average in wks 1 and 2. Britt got hurt, and Tate was ok, but playing either Bradshaw or Jones instead of either Britt or Tate would have been enough.

Mfl tells you "should've won" and "lost" possibilites.

Yes, I just love their FF "game recap" feature, where the system tells me in nauseating detail what a fool I was (for example) to not see S. Green's 3-TD week coming and benched him for the likes of Gore, or some similar gaffe.

Yes, I just love their FF "game recap" feature, where the system tells me in nauseating detail what a fool I was (for example) to not see S. Green's 3-TD week coming and benched him for the likes of Gore, or some similar gaffe.

I'm not sure I'd be strong enough to survive that feature.

I ran this exercise for the team that made it to the playoffs. I already know that my decisions for the two teams that missed were bad....not brave enough to see how bad.

Week 13, must win to make the playoffs, and outscore another opponent by 28 points to beat him on a tiebreaker.

Benched Peirre Garcon, who had been a bust the last 5 weeks and with Orlovsky now starting.......in favor of Avant, who had been pretty consistent recently and was coming off a 9 catch, 120+ yard/TD game with Maclin out.

Avant goes for 1 catch /10 yards.....Garcon: 9 catches, 2 TDs, 150 yards....and would have been enough to give me the win AND win the tiebreaker to get into the playoffs.

Too many WDIS mistakes to mention in one league, where my team outscored the next highest by 200 points YTD, but where I am only tied for second. In that league I could easily be 13-0, but I am only 9-4 with an outside shot at #1 seed if a miracle happens and the 3-10 last place team beats the guy ahead of me.

Unlikely, as the line is -36 for the #1 squad.

In my other leagues I have been less error-prone, and I have generally been maximizing my rosters. This is not to say that my other teams are especially great (one in first and one in third) but only that I have wasted little talent on the bench.

My biggest problem this year has been impatience with WW pickups, especially guys I picked up and dropped/traded like DeMarco Murray and Ben Tate. Had I stashed and held those two in a few leagues, I would be in an enviable position right now.

Edited by historymike

In my main league I squeezed into the playoffs with a 6-7 record. Looking back at various WDIS decisions - I could've been 11-2.

The only problem I have with statements like these (and I'm not trying to single you out; everybody does it) is that lots of other people in your league could probably say the same thing. Even the guy that is 10-3 maybe could have been 12-1 with a few switches here and there. And would any of your 6 wins have been losses if your opponent had started a different player or two? Everyone makes some bad calls along the way; its part of FF. It cuts both ways.

I hate the guy who says "You got lucky. I deserved to win. If I had started player X instead of player Y I would have won.", if nobody in their right mind would have actually done that (e.g., starting Jabar Gaffney over Greg Jennings in Week 12 or something equally ridiculous) -- so I try not to think too much about those scenarios. Every league has a guy like that thought.

The ones that actually hurt in retrospect are when you were truly 50-50 on starting X or Y and the wrong choice ended up costing you a game. Those hurt a bit.

Mfl tells you "should've won" and "lost" possibilites.

The only issue with the "coulda won" is that it is assuming you put in your best lineup against the lineup that your competition DID put in. How bout if your competition didn't put in their "best" lineup?

In any case, there are 2 coulda won on my schedule. That is if I had started the following:

Week 1:

Davone Bess and Early Doucet over Vjax and LFitz.

Week 5:

Alex Smith over Matt Ryan

Suisham over Bryant

A few weeks back, I had the Cardinals defense as my starter, and about five minutes before Sunday's games started, I yanked them and put Buffalo in. The Cards had a return TD to end their OT game against the Rams, which would've given me the win. Two weeks ago, I had Earl Bennett as my starter (first game Hanie was starting), and was going to bench him for Hillis, in his first game back from injury. I remembered the last time I made a last-minute switch, so I left my lineup alone. Bennett had one catch and Hillis did just enough that he would've given me the win.