[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Missing our white winter...

Bier Meister

mrs and i were craving some of our heartier meals...so going german-ish tonight.

german potato salad

red cabbage

kraut

schnitzel (will make a jaeger sauce for those who want it)

spaetzle

pear turnovers

i'm not a big fan of mayo, so i often stay away from those items. but i do make some good stuff..... do you like german potato salad?

2 1/4 pounds medium-size red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, cut into

1/4-inch-thick slices

6 bacon slices, chopped

1/2 cup finely chopped red onion

1/2 cup white wine vinegar

1/2 cup water

2 teaspoons coarse-grained mustard

2 teaspoons sugar

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

Steam potatoes until tip of knife easily pierces center of slices, about 10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Cover with foil.

Sauté bacon in large skillet over medium heat until brown, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Discard all but 2 1/2 tablespoons drippings. Heat drippings in skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Whisk in next 6 ingredients. Simmer until mixture is reduced to 2/3 cup, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.

Add potatoes to skillet and toss to coat with dressing. Let stand 3 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped bacon and fresh dill; toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer potato salad to serving platter. Serve warm

doing this for the pears minus the kahlua...poached the pears with port and saved that syrup instead.... doing it over puff pastry.

"banana foster" sauce for pancakes, waffles, or french toast:

3 tbs unsalted butter

3 tbs brown sugar

2 sliced bananas

1/3 c kahlua

melt butter. add sugar. stir until well incorporated. add kahlua. cook for 2-3 min. add bananas. reduce until syrupy. serve over pancakes, waffles, french toast, or whatnot.

I am offended that you would discard all but that little bit of bacon grease. I drown the potatoes in it. The dill looks very interesting, may have to try that.

ETA: I've always used parsley or celery seed instead of the dill.

Edited by SEC=UGA

I am offended that you would discard all but that little bit of bacon grease. I drown the potatoes in it. The dill looks very interesting, may have to try that.

ETA: I've always used parsley or celery seed instead of the dill.

i set it aside and used a little here and there to cook the schnitzel and pan sear the spaetzle