[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dear NFL dads

BeeR

I agree on Manning - his opinion is beyond irrelevant.

I disagree on McCoy - not only did the Browns unnecessarily risk Colt's health, but their stupidity might have cost them the game when he threw that interception. Calling out a moron when your kid can't really protect himself seems like a legit dad activity to me. As a general rule, if you get knocked the f' out after someone hits you in the head, you've got a concussion. Don't get cute.

I disagree on McCoy - not only did the Browns unnecessarily risk Colt's health, but their stupidity might have cost them the game when he threw that interception. Calling out a moron when your kid can't really protect himself seems like a legit dad activity to me. As a general rule, if you get knocked the f' out after someone hits you in the head, you've got a concussion. Don't get cute.

Agree 100%. If that was my kid I'd have been pissed too. And would have talked to anyone who will listen.

The only way this kind of stuff will stop will be people consistently pointing it out and talking about it. You just cannot put a kid in harms way when his brain is scrambled.

Agreed.

He couldn't protect himself? What they put a gun to his head and told him to play?

Sorry but Colt is a big boy. At least keep the rants private, don't go to the fn press.

He says he doesn't even remember it. I think the argument here is that he couldn't protect himself because he HAD A FREAKIN CONCUSSION. Clearly he wasn't thinking correctly, if at all. The union should file a grievance with the team.

I'm guessing you've never had a concussion.

At least not a severe one. I've had 7 in my life. The first serious one was in H.S. playing a pick up game on a weekend and got a knee straight to the head. Within 2 minutes I lost vision in one eye and tunnel vision started in the other. If lasted about 20 minures......I think.????? I kept playing because I was a stupid 15 y.o. Now you know what's wrong with me. :wacko:

Has anybody seen an actual report that McCoy had a concussion? The local Cleveland news was implying that, but it sounded like the normal media sensationalism. Shurmur says he did not have a concussion after the hit

McCoy's father reports that Colt called him after the game and told him he didn't remember anything that happened after the hit. Is it possible he was ok, tested fine at the game, and then later exhibited systems. (Stories also claim a teammate gave him a ride home after returning to the Browns facility, and that he was sent home from team activities on Friday.

I'm trying to make sense of this, and understand whether the team (their doctor's, trainers, etc) screwed up, Colt was ok or at least thought he was ok (or told them he was ok).

I also thought that every NFL team had an independent doctor (not hired & paid by them) to exam players for these issues. Something was part of one of the recent changes by the NFL in how they deal with concussions.

One last thought, he hurt his hand on that play. Is it possible the trainers/doctors were focused on that, took care of it (they showed them working on it on the sideline) and then forgot to check out the possible concussion?

From an article in the Akron paper yesterday

---

"Shurmur said quarterback Colt McCoy began to exhibit symptoms of a concussion after the game. After the Browns flew back to Cleveland early this morning, a team spokesman said McCoy did not have a concussion."

The NFL will be talking to the Browns to make sure they handled it properly. Shurmur basically says that they did, and that he would not have sent him back in otherwise. In fact it would be out of his hands, because trainers would say "he can't go back in." Two other players (TE Watson & FB Marecic) suffered concussions in the game and were held out.

To me it seems like Colt's dad is overreacting and saying that the Browns mishandled. If that is the case the NFL will find out and the Browns will be punished. I understand a parents concern, but he's obviously biased and basing his view on what Colt told him "after the game" when he was exhibiting concussion systems.

ABJ Shurmur press conference info

Edited by stevegrab

Steve, I like what you bring here in terms of looking at things almost Big John-like logically.

I really don't think McCoy should have been back in the game. I'm sure you watched the game and I'm sure you saw the same sideline highlights, newscast after newscast.

He didn't look right.

Steve, I like what you bring here in terms of looking at things almost Big John-like logically.

I really don't think McCoy should have been back in the game. I'm sure you watched the game and I'm sure you saw the same sideline highlights, newscast after newscast.

He didn't look right.

Thanks for the compliment.

I agree he didn't look right. I'm just questioning the attempt by some to crucify Shurmur and the staff. I guess we'll wait to see what the NFL finds out.

I'd like to think that Shurmur and the trainers took the proper steps, and aren't just part of the ongoing laughing stock that the Browns have become.

I don't blame his dad for being pissed. Shurmer isn't a medical professional who's qualified to decide whether or not McCoy had a concussion.

Besides that there's no way that we really think that playing in the NFL is healthy, right? Any kind of head injury whether it seems serious to us or not is cause for concern. But I guess if we really considered the dangers of the game it would take some of the fun out of it for us fans.

shaquita,

No, Shurmur is not a doctor, neither is any other HC in the league. They all have medical staffs that examine the players and make these decisions.

According to the story that stelhant post (thanks I hadn't seen that), it says

"Shurmur said McCoy did not say he felt sick and passed all the necessary tests to be allowed to return to the game."

As I said, we'll see what the NFL says.

They all have medical staffs that examine the players and make these decisions.

While this may be true, name me one NFL team that employs a full time neurologist that is on the sidelines to examine possible concussions. That. Is the problem IMO.

While this may be true, name me one NFL team that employs a full time neurologist that is on the sidelines to examine possible concussions. That. Is the problem IMO.

The problem is they need medical staff employed by the NFL and not the teams.

This would solve the concussion issue. Of course, they would need 75 man rosters to get through the games.

I don't know if any team does that, but I thought new guidelines from the NFL recently (2009) addressed these thngs.

CD is right, NFL employed doctors would solve it, but you'd have 10-20 or more players removed from every game after some wicked hit.

From the link below

Based on the 2009 statement, a player who suffers a concussion should not return to play or practice on the same day if any of the following symptoms or signs is identified based on the initial medical evaluation of the player:

- Loss of consciousness;

- Confusion as evidenced by disorientation to person, time or place; inability to respond appropriately to questions; or inability to remember assignments or plays;

- Amnesia as evidenced by a gap in memory for events occurring just prior to the injury; inability to learn and retain new information; or a gap in memory for events that occurred after the injury;

- Abnormal neurological examination, such as abnormal pupillary response, persistent dizziness or vertigo, or abnormal balance on sideline testing.

- New and persistent headache, particularly if accompanied by photosensitivity, nausea, vomiting or dizziness;

- Any other persistent signs or symptoms of concussion

NFL stricter concussion guidelines

I find it hard to believe that the medical staff didn't conduct the proper tests, but I suppose it is possible. The NFL will have plenty of film to view, players, staff and bystanders to question regarding this.

Reading another article (below), McCoy was out of the game for about 4 minutes actual time, and Shurmur says they did the proper tests. McCoy's father says "There were a lot of easy symptoms that should've told them he had a concussion. He was nauseated, and he didn't know who he was. From what I could see, they didn't test him for a concussion on the sidelines. They looked at his (left) hand." That is based on what he saw on TV and what Colt told him AFTER the game.

more info

Harrison's an ass.

Indeed. That was a cheap shot he laid on Colt. It's a shame too, because I thought Colt didn't look half bad out there running for his life and creating plays out of nothing. If his team didn't suck so hard, he'd be a decent NFL QB.

I'm guessing you've never had a concussion.

THIS.

I was the tackler on a helmet to helmet hit to take a WR out of bounds in a game my senior year. Neither of us intended to collide helmets, but it's football and things happen.

He was out the rest of the game with headaches and concussion symptoms, as was I. In addition I threw up from it(This was the worst). Overall, It's surprisingly fatiguing. Having only had one in my whole life and seeing how bad it sucked, I don't understand the guys who keep playing when they have several in a season. I was so damn disoriented from just one.

I am all about big hits, tough players, and a bad ass sport like football. Nevertheless, concussions are one of the few injuries you should never even try to play with. it's not like you might re-aggravate your ankle sprain or possibly break a bone. It's your head for christ sakes.\

EDIT: just read the article. "I certainly didn't think he'd be out only a play. It would've taken my high school trainer longer than that to determine if he was OK after a hit like that.

-- Colt McCoy's father, Brad,

regarding the Browns' staff

It's very bothersome to read things like this.

Edited by Infinity

• 3 weeks later...