[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dear NFL dads

BeeR

I remember this thread while reading this article. pretty silly stuff.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...s-early-doucet/

Ahh the twitter age, where everybody seems to have an opinion that they think everybody need/wants to hear. The PFT story quotes his tweet as saying "Early Doucet bombed this year he drops to many passes not a dependable No.2" :wacko: Sure that isn't TOO Fitz Sr? It also has this fine piece from an interview that Fitz Sr gave "People criticize me because they think I talk too much." Gee you think.

I wonder if Fitz Jr. called his dad and told him to call me sily call me rude, but call me please?

Agree on McCoy's dad in hindsight. Diff situation though I still have to wonder if he was cognizant enough to lead the O down the field how he is not enough that way to realize hey I shouldn't be in here, but anyway - the overall point still holds.

• 2 weeks later...

Archie at it again: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825d..._headline_stack

To be fair it's not like he's going out of his way to have a press conference or something. People are having him on their radio show or whatever. I really wish the media would just stop "reporting" his every word. Still, IMO he should stop doing radio or anything else and just don't say anything on any of this.

Archie at it again: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825d..._headline_stack

To be fair it's not like he's going out of his way to have a press conference or something. People are having him on their radio show or whatever. I really wish the media would just stop "reporting" his every word. Still, IMO he should stop doing radio or anything else and just don't say anything on any of this.

You know what really bugs me, while I understand that Peyton may be discussing it with his dad, getting his advice, etc. Archie is NOT making this decision. So why do they keep asking him? Why does he keep offering an opinion, any opinion, even one that is non committal. Why not just say "Its Peyton's decision, ask him." And tell them if that is all they want to talk about then I'm not coming on your show. But apparently the money involved to be on the show, and the attention it gives Archie are too much for him to pass up.

Stop treating this like daddy is in charge when we are dealing with adults in their mid to late 20s, 30s and older.

You know what really bugs me, while I understand that Peyton may be discussing it with his dad, getting his advice, etc. Archie is NOT making this decision. So why do they keep asking him? Why does he keep offering an opinion, any opinion, even one that is non committal. Why not just say "Its Peyton's decision, ask him." And tell them if that is all they want to talk about then I'm not coming on your show. But apparently the money involved to be on the show, and the attention it gives Archie are too much for him to pass up.

Stop treating this like daddy is in charge when we are dealing with adults in their mid to late 20s, 30s and older.

Did either of you even read the article? How can you possibly convey what he said into him being "at it again" or treating this like daddy is in charge? :tup:

He is a sports commentator you know, not just Peyton & Eli's dad. They don't just throw a bunch of cash at him and drag him out of the woodwork every time the want a quote. :wacko:

Did either of you even read the article? How can you possibly convey what he said into him being "at it again" or treating this like daddy is in charge? :tup:

He is a sports commentator you know, not just Peyton & Eli's dad. They don't just throw a bunch of cash at him and drag him out of the woodwork every time the want a quote. :wacko:

I read the article briefly. Why can't Archie just say "you're asking the wrong Manning, talk to Peyton".

I guess what bothers me is the media treating these players as if they are still 12 year olds kids who don't make their own decisions.

And NO I did not know that Archie is a sport commentator. So why don't they ask him questions they normally would, and stop bugging him about Peyton? You know, treat him like a spors commentator instead of Peyton's daddy. I'm guessing because he likes talking about Peyton and giving his opinion. And they feel it draws viewers/listeners.

I read the article briefly. Why can't Archie just say "you're asking the wrong Manning, talk to Peyton".

I guess what bothers me is the media treating these players as if they are still 12 year olds kids who don't make their own decisions.

And NO I did not know that Archie is a sport commentator. So why don't they ask him questions they normally would, and stop bugging him about Peyton? You know, treat him like a spors commentator instead of Peyton's daddy. I'm guessing because he likes talking about Peyton and giving his opinion. And they feel it draws viewers/listeners.

Why can't he comment on a subject that he's familiar with without being accused of trying to control his sons? I really don't see this as treating them like 12 year-old's either. This question could be asked of any sports commentator, it just so happens that he is more qualified to speak on the subject. I still don't see what's wrong with that. I mean Ditka talks about the Bears all the time. Irvin & Sanders talk about the Cowboys. Mariucci gets asked questions about the 49ers. Howie Long gets quizzed about his son. How is this any different?

I didn't have a problem with what he said about Luck either. All he said was that he knew Luck personally and he didn't think that he would want to play behind Peyton and he didn't think Peyton would be keen on making Luck his understudy. I guess everyone completely forgot that the same things were said about Rodgers & Favre. What starting QB wants to accept his eventual replacement under his wing and what rookie QB of Lucks caliber wants to come in the league knowing he's going to have to sit the bench the next 3+ years? How is that a bad thing to say? If any other commentator said it then you guys would probably agree or think nothing of it. :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

Why can't he comment on a subject that he's familiar with without being accused of trying to control his sons? I really don't see this as treating them like 12 year-old's either. This question could be asked of any sports commentator, it just so happens that he is more qualified to speak on the subject. I still don't see what's wrong with that. I mean Ditka talks about the Bears all the time. Irvin & Sanders talk about the Cowboys. Mariucci gets asked questions about the 49ers. Howie Long gets quizzed about his son. How is this any different?

I didn't have a problem with what he said about Luck either. All he said was that he knew Luck personally and he didn't think that he would want to play behind Peyton and he didn't think Peyton would be keen on making Luck his understudy. I guess everyone completely forgot that the same things were said about Rodgers & Favre. What starting QB wants to accept his eventual replacement under his wing and what rookie QB of Lucks caliber wants to come in the league knowing he's going to have to sit the bench the next 3+ years? How is that a bad thing to say? If any other commentator said it then you guys would probably agree or think nothing of it. :wacko:

I think you're misreading me here. I am not saying that Archie is trying to control Peyton, or that by giving his opinion he is indicating that he somehow controls him. I just think the way the media keeps asking the question it is silly because he is not going to decide. And he may not really know what Peyton is going to do.

As far as former players like Irvin being asked about the Cowboys, well nobody really needs to ask because he willingly blurts out his opinion all the time (drives me nuts on NFL Game Day any time they talk about the Cowboys and that homer gets on his horse).

Maybe I'm just tired of the media in general. Always trying to make a story, or be first to scoop it with minimal facts. No real reporting, just keep asking the same question over and over (whether it be "So Favre are you really retired" or "So Peyton will you be back in Indy next year? What about Luck?"). Heck the year that Dungy won the SB over the Bears one of the big stores was "two black [african-american] coaches leading their teams." They kept asking pointed questions, and I recall at one point Dungy said "Listen I don't look at it that way.".

Maybe I'm just tired of the media in general. Always trying to make a story, or be first to scoop it with minimal facts. No real reporting, just keep asking the same question over and over (whether it be "So Favre are you really retired" or "So Peyton will you be back in Indy next year? What about Luck?"). Heck the year that Dungy won the SB over the Bears one of the big stores was "two black [african-american] coaches leading their teams." They kept asking pointed questions, and I recall at one point Dungy said "Listen I don't look at it that way.".

I think that is the real problem here & I completely agree. The article that was linked said it came from a Yahoo sports radio interview. I won't even go into my lack of respect for yahoo sports, but when you look a little deeper at this report there really isn't much to it at all. It gives the impression that he was interviewed about his son. I'd be willing to bet, given his position as a college analyst and his familiarity with the SEC, that he was there to talk about the college championship & was asked this while there. Again, nothing wrong with hearing his thoughts, but the whole article is taken completely out of context.and the headline only feeds the stigma that Archie can't stay out of his sons' business.

Because they aren't asking him about the Colts. They're asking him about his son. And yes IMO it does come off as making the player look like a child. "Hey dad, how's your boy? What's he thinking?" I agree the answer should be "ask HIM." Period.

don't have a problem with what he said about Luck either. All he said was that he knew Luck personally and he didn't think that he would want to play behind Peyton
Even though Luck has already said otherwise.

Shut the frak up Archie. IMO.

Edited by BeeR