[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calvin Johnson, not sure can afford to start him anymore

dougsullivan

Yes he is the best or one of the three best receivers in football, but i only care about fantasy production. I know most will think I am crazy but between double coverage and being a decoy, he just isnt getting it. Too many guys like Gaffney on waiver wire that will get a lot more points.

Agreed. He's barely been a top 25 WR in the past month (in my money league). Unfortunately for me I can only bench him in favor of VJax or Julio Jones and neither of them are hands down greater options; although they at least have the possibility to go off anymore. I wouldn't bench him, though, unless you have someone to start over him that is going to consistently get you enough points to make it worth the risk.

Agreed. He's barely been a top 25 WR in the past month (in my money league). Unfortunately for me I can only bench him in favor of VJax or Julio Jones and neither of them are hands down greater options; although they at least have the possibility to go off anymore. I wouldn't bench him, though, unless you have someone to start over him that is going to consistently get you enough points to make it worth the risk.

:wacko:

Not counting this week since all games haven't been played, CJ's the #19 WR in PPR scoring, averaging 14.2 ppg. Now, he's obviously far behind what he should be doing, but benching him is pretty much a foolish thing to even consider.... unless you have somethin' like Welker, Fitz and Nicks on your team along with Johnson.

:tup:

Edited by darin3

:wacko:

Not counting this week since all games haven't been played, CJ's the #19 WR in PPR scoring, averaging 14.2 ppg. Now, he's obviously far behind what he should be doing, but benching him is pretty much a foolish thing to even consider.... unless you have somethin' like Welker, Fitz and Nicks on your team along with Johnson.

:tup:

That #19 ranking depends on the scoring system. My money league is performance PPR and the last 4 weeks he's been #23. Add in this week's joke of a performance and I'd be surprised if he stayed in the top 25. Agreed on your last statement which is what I was getting at in my post.

You should have traded him after week 4 if you knew he was going to perform this "poorly" the rest of the season.

This was a cake matchup with a terrible Vikings team. Lots of crazy plays changed what would have happened.

Just make sure not to draft him next year, because he sucks :wacko:

"Just make sure not to draft him next year, because he sucks "

You really are an idiot

I started my statement saying he is the best or one of the three best receivers in football, which means nothing if they are not gonna thorw him the ball. Look at his numbers over the past five weeks they are not very good. Him having nine TDs in the first five games is not gonna help anyone in the next two games which at this point all that matters.

I am saying that a player like Harvin would probably be a better choice, thats all. I already have Welker and he is much more reliable than Calvin.

"Just make sure not to draft him next year, because he sucks "

You really are an idiot

I started my statement saying he is the best or one of the three best receivers in football, which means nothing if they are not gonna thorw him the ball. Look at his numbers over the past five weeks they are not very good. Him having nine TDs in the first five games is not gonna help anyone in the next two games which at this point all that matters.

I am saying that a player like Harvin would probably be a better choice, thats all. I already have Welker and he is much more reliable than Calvin.

You also said

"Too many guys like Gaffney on waiver wire that will get a lot more points. "

Like that is a better option than Calvin, which is just silly.

These threads with all the bitching and whining about studs not performing get old.

My point still stands, if you don't want his inconsistency on your roster don't draft him. I've had him on my team for years now and this is the first time he has had this happen. I bet if he didn't score 2 TDs a week the first 4 weeks you wouldn't be griping about his value since then. But then you also probably would have lost 1-2 more of those first games.

It would be hard to sit Calvin but the guy does make some sense. He is getting triple teamed more than Hugh one at fire island

You'd have to be seriously stacked to sit him, and guys like Gaffney are not what I'd consider a suitable replacement. If you have Welker, Fitzgerald and Nelson along with Calvin and only start 2 or 3 WR then yeah you might bench him.

If you sit Calvin after the year he has had......maybe you shouldn't play fantasy football moving forward.......Can the huddle revoke a membership in an effort to keep overall fantasy IQ at a high average in these forums???? :wacko:

"After the year he has had?"

Uhhh, are you still in week 6? Calvin is averaging 5-63 over the past 5 weeks. And with 1td in that time frame.

He's getting double and sometimes triple teammed on every play. Stafford barely looks his direction anymore.

"After the year he has had?"

Uhhh, are you still in week 6? Calvin is averaging 5-63 over the past 5 weeks. And with 1td in that time frame.

He's getting double and sometimes triple teammed on every play. Stafford barely looks his direction anymore.

If it's non-PPR, then I can see where it's been dissapointing, but prior to this week, he had still been averaging 13-15 points in PPR during this down stretch where he's been seeing a lot of attention. Add to that, the Lions are still in a fight for a wildcard spot, facing OAK, SD, and GB....

I'd say the likelihood that they'll need to hit Calvin to get the wins they need in those games is highly likely, with opponents who can score points... The Lions don't have enough weapons to just ignore him (other than a day like yesterday where the defense gave them an early lead that was easy to hold onto facing the hapless Vikings), and there's not enough coverage in the world to completely shut him down. Stafford will hit him when he really needs someone to make a play, which he might often in these last 3 games.

Moreover, the seemingly unlimited upside that he's shown shouldn't be counteracted by a few weeks of a little less attention, where he's still scoring in the double-digits, other than the 1 stinker this week that every WR has...

It would be hard to sit Calvin but the guy does make some sense. He is getting triple teamed more than Hugh one at fire island

I was just going to make the same analogy!

Yes. I know!

some call it amtrak but you two and lsleseeya call it a train?

Edited by Bier Meister

I have Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin, Laurent Robinson, and Jabar Gaffney at WR.

I need to start at least 2 but can start up to 3 of them per week (WR/RB flex). I almost sat CJ for LR/JG. But I was too big of a chicken to do it. I knew it that if I sat CJ two things would happen. He would get his 110, 2 and I would loose in the first round of the playoffs this week by a small margin of points...

I played Johnson and Marshall. I think I will just barely make the playoff but CJ's 3-6 point games are just plain disappointing. Even with that in mind I don't think I can justify sitting him regardless of the match up. The upside on the game is incredible.

Stafford is willing to spread the ball around to Burleson, Pettigrew, Morris, etc. if that's what the defense gives them. Calvin Johnson's situation isn't much different than Vincent Jackson's. They both have the potential to win a game for you, but can get game planned out by opposing defenses, and they both have QBs that won't force the ball there if the defense is giving them something else. You take the good with the bad, and you hope that you don't get burned in the playoffs, but you gotta dance with who brought you there.