[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Harrison

Crazysight

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is my main point, this rule is brand new...its newly established. Think about all the years some guys have played the way they played, when there were no set helmet to helmet rules, I feel to adapt to that would be quite difficult.

And like you said Menudo, its been awhile for Harrison...and the couple he did have in the past i feel werent exactly his fault. Like Cribbs, if i remember correctly he was going down and Cribbs sort of leaned forward into it, stuff like that i feel was purely accidental. But overall its been quiet on the front of Harrison but since he has a target on his back, now every time it does happen hes a criminal. He could go 15 games without a helmet to helmet, but the instant he does on the 16th game....hes automatically a thug to people.

But i also agree, the man and steelers in general NEED to keep their mouths shut. Way to many big mouths lately on the Steelers, and I hate that.

You still haven't addressed why it's typically the same guys over and over again. This is like the Suh debate, with everyone explaining all the reasons why Suh wasn't guilty on this play. But until each and every player keeps getting fined over and over again, that whole line of argument is pointless. Because, again, it seems like plenty of players have managed to adapt.

That's how it works in the world, you have to adapt.

#1 - Harrison's biggest problem is that he never keeps his damn mouth shut. He is a great player, but, he has said a lot of stupid things to the press over the last several years.

#2 - Harrison needs to continue to learn to play differently, because the rules state that he must. It has been a long time since he had a helmet to helmet, prior to this one, so, maybe he is making an effort, but, he needs to continue to do so.

#3 - Harrison is a repeat offender who deserves a fine, and I'd be o.k. with a suspension, if that is what they choose to do. I fear that he will then lash out with several stupid comments to make the matter worse.

Pretty well summarized.

Maybe you can explain to Metalhead that the reason they are making changes to the rules is because the players are bigger and faster now, and additonally we have seen players from the past that were taking these hits drooling on their shoes at very young ages.

You still haven't addressed why it's typically the same guys over and over again. This is like the Suh debate, with everyone explaining all the reasons why Suh wasn't guilty on this play. But until each and every player keeps getting fined over and over again, that whole line of argument is pointless. Because, again, it seems like plenty of players have managed to adapt.

That's how it works in the world, you have to adapt.

Because I honestly feel people are hunting, looking for guys like Harrison to mess up. Waiting for that instant to explode the minute Harrison does it. And you havent addressed the issue that like Menudo said, Harrison hasnt done it in awhile...so why condemn him the minute he does, he obviously is trying.

If Harrison on every single hit, every single game was doing this...i would agree with you 100%.

Because I honestly feel people are hunting, looking for guys like Harrison to mess up. Waiting for that instant to explode the minute Harrison does it. And you havent addressed the issue that like Menudo said, Harrison hasnt done it in awhile...so why condemn him the minute he does, he obviously is trying.

If Harrison on every single hit, every single game was doing this...i would agree with you 100%.

Hilarious...now Harrison is the victim

You don't have to look very hard to see his latest hit. Like I said in my first post in this thread. That hit should be on videos that they use to show what you're not supposed to do. That is the perfect example of hitting a guy in the head. And like BP said, McCoy was practically standing straight up! How could Harrison have aimed any higher and had any intent to actually hit the guy at all?

So, great, it's been a while. But he's not being remotely contrite. He's not saying, "You know, I've been trying, but one got away." No, he's saying he did nothing wrong. So many of us fairly wonder if he's really learned anything at all.

A while would be a few years like, not a year or less. You could make a video montage of Harrison's illegal hits, he's far from a first time or infrequent offender. Harrison is a cheap shot artist that deliberately tries to injure players and your trying to defend him and even portray him as a victum is pretty weak.

I think this is my main point, this rule is brand new...its newly established. Think about all the years some guys have played the way they played, when there were no set helmet to helmet rules, I feel to adapt to that would be quite difficult.

And like you said Menudo, its been awhile for Harrison...and the couple he did have in the past i feel werent exactly his fault. Like Cribbs, if i remember correctly he was going down and Cribbs sort of leaned forward into it, stuff like that i feel was purely accidental. But overall its been quiet on the front of Harrison but since he has a target on his back, now every time it does happen hes a criminal. He could go 15 games without a helmet to helmet, but the instant he does on the 16th game....hes automatically a thug to people.

But i also agree, the man and steelers in general NEED to keep their mouths shut. Way to many big mouths lately on the Steelers, and I hate that.

The rule isn;t brand new. I'd bet money helmet to helmet wasn't allowed in high school or college for Harrison either. Lame argument, guy deserves whatever he gets. Knock the stuffing out of the guy without leading with your helmet.

I guess in a sport that went decades without such pansy rules, im not used to how offended people get over strong hits that sometimes include helmet to helmet.

I must be a thug as well.

No you're just very biased. As am I to some extent. I agree with the flag, a fine and even a one game suspension. I am not saying he should get more or be banned forever. But your defense of him is most likely centered on the fact that he is on your team.

Nothing wrong with playing hard football, but there's a lot wrong with breaking the rules repeatedly, and not making some effort to avoid that helmet to helmet contact. Harrions acts as if there isn't a rule against it, that he doesn't know the rule, or doesn't care to follow the rule. That makes it all the worse.

#1 - Harrison's biggest problem is that he never keeps his damn mouth shut. He is a great player, but, he has said a lot of stupid things to the press over the last several years.

#2 - Harrison needs to continue to learn to play differently, because the rules state that he must. It has been a long time since he had a helmet to helmet, prior to this one, so, maybe he is making an effort, but, he needs to continue to do so.

#3 - Harrison is a repeat offender who deserves a fine, and I'd be o.k. with a suspension, if that is what they choose to do. I fear that he will then lash out with several stupid comments to make the matter worse.

Nice to hear from a rationale and honest Steeler fan. :wacko:

One of the guys I work with says pretty much the exact same thing.

His teammates and coaches need to knock some sense into him.

Because its a super, super fast game...think about it...these guys got to react instantly almost.

In this instance, fail.

He had plenty of time to decide to hit elsewhere, but he chose to launch his head into McCoy's facemask. A lot can be thought out in the small amount of time (split second) there was, but consider this.... when a major league pitcher throws a 95 mile an hour fastball from 60' 6" away it takes .4306 seconds for the pitch to get to the plate. In that time, the batter has to determine if the ball is in the strike zone, where in the strike zone, and then physically swing the bat. That's a whole lot going on in less than half a second, so to say in essence that it's super fast therefore Harrison couldn't avoid it is BS. The human body is incredibly reactive and fast. These guys know where they're aiming. It's when the player being aimed at moves that you may have an argument. In this case though, McCoy didn't move. Harrison's aim point was always the head and that's where he got him.

link to hit

Seriously. people are defending Harrison for this? McCoy is upright and has just delivered a pass outside the pocket, and Harrison lowers his head to intentionally strike McCoy in the head with the crown of his helmet, attacking helmet-first. There is no attempt to wrap or make any other kind of tackle other than leading with the top of his helmet to McCoy's facemask. There is no bending in Harrison's frame, or in McCoy's frame sliding downward into the path a an attempt by Harrison to hit McCoy in the shoulder pads or elsewhere.

This kind of #### has been illegal for a long time, and Harrison apparently still doesn't understand that. Harrison's apologists don't either. If he can't clean up his act, or is simply too stupid to understand the rules, Harrison ought to be removed from the game. The week off is a good start, but a little belated, IMO.

Edited by Bronco Billy

link to hit

Seriously. people are defending Harrison for this? McCoy is upright and has just delivered a pass outside the pocket, and Harrison lowers his head to intentionally strike McCoy in the head with the crown of his helmet, attacking helmet-first. There is no attempt to wrap or make any other kind of tackle other than leading with the top of his helmet to McCoy's facemask. There is no bending in Harrison's frame, or in McCoy's frame sliding downward into the path a an attempt by Harrison to hit McCoy in the shoulder pads or elsewhere.

This kind of #### has been illegal for a long time, and Harrison apparently still doesn't understand that. Harrison's apologists don't either. If he can't clean up his act, or is simply too stupid to understand the rules, Harrison ought to be removed from the game. The week off is a good start, but a little belated, IMO.

You'd like to think this was all that needed to be said, but for the fact that people have been saying this the entire thread and yet the debate rages on. Well, actually, that's not fair. The debate is between on myopic Steeler fan and every remotely rational person here.

That's not exactly a debate.

link to hit

+1

link to hit

I've only seen one person defending him in this thread. I have no argument with anything you said here. He needs to either play by the rules or continue to deal with the consequences.

Fineable helmet to helmet hit on a QB, yes. Suspendable, nope, not in those circumstances when he was outside the pocket within inches of turning from QB to runner. There was no intent to injure (see Suh, Haynesworth, Cole), just a hard hit with poor technique. The suspension was obviously a little payback from the commish for the "puppet" comments over the summer.

Fineable helmet to helmet hit on a QB, yes. Suspendable, nope, not in those circumstances when he was outside the pocket within inches of turning from QB to runner. There was no intent to injure (see Suh, Haynesworth, Cole), just a hard hit with poor technique. The suspension was obviously a little payback from the commish for the "puppet" comments over the summer.

Wrong.

Suspendable for being a repeat offender with multiple fines already which have obviously not provided enough disincentive for Harrison to stop doing it.