[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which side of NFL history are you on?

Bronco Billy

'11 Packers or '72 Dolphins?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather see?

• '11 Packers - I want to see Rodgers cap a historic year with an undefeated season
    • '72 Dolphins - I love watching those old ####s pop the champagne every year
    • Puddy nekkid and covered in strawberry syrup

I voted for the Packers. For two reasons:

1. My 6 year old is a huge fan and has been since he was about 3. My uncle lives in Wisconsin, and when my boy was small, he asked me what other teams we could root for in addition to the Chiefs. So I told him the Packers. Little did I know how obsessed he'd become...

2. I was alive when the Dolphins did it but too young to remember. I just want to see another historical sporting event.

If GB goes undefeated, I'd call that a greater achievement than the '72 'Fins, because:

- More parity in the league now. In '72, there were distinct "classes" of teams as far as power structure, and it was harder and took longer to climb the ladder to be a top team. Fewer threats.

- Only two of Miami's regular season wins in '72 were against teams that ended up with winning records (so far, GB has 7)

- Would be 19 wins vs. 17 for the season

- Running the table would be 25 straight wins and back to back titles (six straight to end 2010) vs. 17 for Miami

Edited by SecondString

If GB goes undefeated, I'd call that a greater achievement than the '72 'Fins, because:

- More parity in the league now.

Don't confuse parity with putridity. There are so many more mediocre teams and no great teams anymore. If you're above average, you can win a SB. This trend started somewhere around 2000 with the Ravens, continued with the Patriots teams, and hasn't stopped since. Maybe a direct byproduct of the salary cap, who knows.

What I do know is that if the '11 Packers played with the NFL rules as they were in '72, they'd have problems. Any good defense pre-rules change (think Patriots manhandling Colts receivers) would give them fits, IMO. It's very tough to make meaningful comparisons across eras.

As a pure fan of football, I'm rooting for the Double Check Discount guy.

As a Bears fan, I'm rooting for the Packers, because they are a thing of beauty to watch on offense. The stupid ass celebrations by the Fins coaches and players has been classless, attention grabbing, and it's time for them to go away.

But, I voted Puddy.

What I do know is that if the '11 Packers played with the NFL rules as they were in '72, they'd have problems. Any good defense pre-rules change (think Patriots manhandling Colts receivers) would give them fits, IMO. It's very tough to make meaningful comparisons across eras.

I disagree with the part in red and agree with the part in green. I think the athleticism of players compared to the counterparts four decades ago means that the Packers would destroy the Dolphins. It would be a lot lot easier for the Packers players of '11 to "goon it up" to compete in the early 1970s world of NFL football than it would be for the '72 Dolphins to "skill it up" to play in the NFL of 2011.

I voted for the 72 Dolphins for numerous reasons, but mostly I fear Id have to listen to Green Bay fans for 20 years plus if they win. That is unbearable.

Why would you have to listen to us for 20 years when you know in your heart of heart that your Steelers would repeat the feat in the next year or two with the added bonus of destroying the Raiders and the Cowboys along the way as the Steelers always seem to do?

I am all for the progression of football and that is exactly what Rodgers and the Pack are doing this year. It's great and all that the fins went undefeated before I was born, I respect that, but I've never watched a whole season of football and seen a team dominate the way that the Packers have this year - it's extremely exciting to watch an all-time great team during their greatest season.

Edited by Croe

Don't confuse parity with putridity. There are so many more mediocre teams and no great teams anymore. If you're above average, you can win a SB. This trend started somewhere around 2000 with the Ravens, continued with the Patriots teams, and hasn't stopped since. Maybe a direct byproduct of the salary cap, who knows.

No confusion, and agree with some of what you've said here, but "If you're above average, you can win a SB" is just a tad overstated. Takes a little more than just being above average.

I also understand that there are inherent flaws in trying to compare teams across generations. I wasn't really trying to do that in any great detail, just stating that if the Pack pulls it off, that would be a more impressive feat.

I realize that it's gotten downright cliche to be annoyed with the 72 Dolphins rooting against any team who might equal their record, but I am. Mostly because essentially every time I've ever seen a sports legend who is about to have his record broken, he's been a man about it and applauded the effort, not danced like school girl if the dude comes up short.

I'm reminded of a Bob Beamon commercial that ran in the 84 Olympics, when everyone was wondering if Carl Lewis was going to break his long jump record. He basically wished him luck.

I disagree with the part in red and agree with the part in green. I think the athleticism of players compared to the counterparts four decades ago means that the Packers would destroy the Dolphins. It would be a lot lot easier for the Packers players of '11 to "goon it up" to compete in the early 1970s world of NFL football than it would be for the '72 Dolphins to "skill it up" to play in the NFL of 2011.

Some might say Woodson plays DB like its 1972. He's known to be more handsy than a frat boy on a date.

No confusion, and agree with some of what you've said here, but "If you're above average, you can win a SB" is just a tad overstated. Takes a little more than just being above average.

Yeah, it takes luck and momentum...does anyone think that the '07 Giants....or '10 Packers, for that matter - were the best team in the league that year, from week 1 to SB, on a consistent basis?

They were good teams that got hot at the right time. Nothing wrong with that.