[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More on the McCoy concussion story

stevegrab

Ok, time to eat some crow and be really embarrassed about the joke of a franchise I'm a fan of. :lol:

There's this story

Browns did NOT check McCoy for a concussion after the Harrison hit

Basically Holmgren says they didn't do any tests because he didn't exhibit any symptoms. The medical staff didn't see the hit, they were attending to other injuries. His coach is in the trenches he is not, if Shurmur thought he was ok to play that is his call. (Throwing your coach under the bus, nice.)

and this info in huddle player news today about McCoy

An investigation by the National Football League and Players Associated into how the Cleveland Browns handled the concussion of QB Colt McCoy in the Week 14 game against the Pittsburgh Steelers might lead to changes in the league's medical procedures and protocol for head injuries. "We made visits pursuant to new procedures in the CBA that are designed to protect our players," NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said Tuesday, Dec. 13. "We will examine what we learned and take whatever steps that are necessary" to ensure player safety.

Huddle Up: The league's concussion policy is still a work in progress, and McCoy's high-profile, prime-time concussion and return to the game will likely establish some new guidelines.

So all that talk about "we followed protocol" was a smoke screen, or avoiding the subject. I should have known better, they never said they actually tested him. But they did say something like "he passed all the tests" or "was cleared to play".

You'd think with all those coaches on the sideline and in the booth, so many paid employees watching the game, that somebody would say "hey guys, you checking him for a concussion or just checking out his injured hand? Because you know he really got clobbered." He laid there on the ground for a while barely moving, obviously dazed. You telling me nobody saw that? What was Shurmur doing looking at his play chart preparing to call the next play. (Head coaches should be observing all aspects, not calling O/D plays.)

What an utter embarrassment. :tup:

What NFL palyer would want to play for this team. You'd have to be :wacko: to trust these guys.

That's worse than pathetic, unfortunately for Browns' fans and McCoy. OK the refs don't notice you're knocked out cold but then your own coaches screw you too? Would this same thing have happened on the Eagles (who seem to be better about keeping players out)? Seems like a systems failure on multiple levels.

There needs to be a very simple, standardized protocol administered by someone with actual neurology training to protect these guys.

That's worse than pathetic, unfortunately for Browns' fans and McCoy. OK the refs don't notice you're knocked out cold but then your own coaches screw you too? Would this same thing have happened on the Eagles (who seem to be better about keeping players out)? Seems like a systems failure on multiple levels.

There needs to be a very simple, standardized protocol administered by someone with actual neurology training to protect these guys.

To be fair, knocked out cold to me implies unconscious, and he was not (AFAIK). But still, pretty disgusting for sure.

On my broadcast pickup of the game I could hear the ref announce the flag for a helmet to helmet hit. It had to be even more audible in the stadium. It happened it plain site. The crowd gasped. Players halted and stared. Non of that happens for a hand bruise. There is no way the Browns did not recognize the situation, none.

Two things really bug me about this.

First they totally ignored the potential injury from this nasty hit. If they were too preoccupied to see it, or realize that he could have been hurt, then they are blind, dumb and incompetent.

Second the appearance of a cover up, with Shurmur saying from the beginning that they "followed league protocol" and even "he passed all the tests and was cleared to play" or something to that affect. If he wasn't givne tests and you know that, then you're clearly lying. If you don't know and you're just making things up you're an idiot.

This story is not going to end well. It will follow the team for at least a few years.

very disgusting and the coach is a blatant liar ..very lame

+1 What a liar. And for Shurmur to use his own son as a foil to try and assure Brad McCoy that he has his son's best interests in mind cause he's also a father of a football player. How disgusting.

Heard this today on the radio and hadn't seen a post about, NFL has new guidelines to address this

local story in the paper

From NFL site

Sounds like a good plan although the details are sketchy. Seems like an extra set of eyes (paid for by NFL, approved by NFLPA) could help (certainly in the McCoy caes since nobody seemed to notice that hit and thought he should be tested. (Still amazed that could be true, I would think some coach would have seen that, or him lying there on the ground afterward.)

On my broadcast pickup of the game I could hear the ref announce the flag for a helmet to helmet hit. It had to be even more audible in the stadium. It happened it plain site. The crowd gasped. Players halted and stared. Non of that happens for a hand bruise. There is no way the Browns did not recognize the situation, none.

That's it right there. That was a colossal hit right in open field on the QB who, a nanosecond earlier, had the ball. Everyone not specifically assigned to watch some other part of the play (read: some of the refs and position coaches) had to be watching. How do you not check the freaking head?