[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What, no goosing?

Bronco Billy

So I'm watching the replay of the DEN/CHI game - happily with a cigar and a beer in hand - and I see what I saw at the game Sunday: DEN comes up about half a yard short and is faced with 4th and less than a yard near midfield. Fox elects to punt despite his D completely shutting down CHI at that point.

My question: Why doesn't DEN go for it with the goose play? It's been my experience that the play is almost unstoppable in that situation or any other less-than-a-yard to go situation where the D doesn't sell out completely for a short yardage look.

I don't understand why more teams don't run what is quite possible the simplest play in football when it seems to work so well? Thoughts?

Is the goose play were the qb takes the hand off and just stretches across the line?

I've never heard this term before.

It's called the goose play because the premise of the play is that as the QB walks up under center, the center snaps the ball as soon as he feels contact from the QBs hand on him - being goosed by the QB, as it were - then the QB follows the center on whichever side is opposite D pressure. The rest of the line moves when they see the ball snapped, but by that time the play is pretty much over. There is no snap count, no calling of signals, no reading the D - just walk up, touch, snap, and move forward behind only the center's block.

It's highly effective because the D doesn't have anything to react to until the ball moves, and by that time both O players are in motion and moving forward. The only caveat is that the QB needs to use his peripheral vision to make sure no other O players are moving when he steps up so they don't get penalized for illegal motion. In my years of watching, playing, and coaching football, I don't remember seeing the play gain less than a yard.

You already mentioned it. Because his D is completely shutting out Chicago.

This is actually even more reason for trying it. It's got a high probability for success, plus now you've added that the penalty for it being run unsuccessfully is reduced. If the QB walks up under center and sees DTs on each side of the center, he just backs off and takes the 5 yd delay of game penalty, and you punt from near midfield anyhow.

Edited by Bronco Billy

It's called the goose play because the premise of the play is that as the QB walks up under center, the center snaps the ball as soon as he feels contact from the QBs hand on him - being goosed by the QB, as it were - then the QB follows the center on whichever side is opposite D pressure. The rest of the line moves when they see the ball snapped, but by that time the play is pretty much over. There is no snap count, no calling of signals, no reading the D - just walk up, touch, snap, and move forward behind only the center's block.

It's highly effective because the D doesn't have anything to react to until the ball moves, and by that time both O players are in motion and moving forward. The only caveat is that the QB needs to use his peripheral vision to make sure no other O players are moving when he steps up so they don't get penalized for illegal motion. In my years of watching, playing, and coaching football, I don't remember seeing the play gain less than a yard.

Thanks for that. Was wondering what the "goose" referred to. So basically its a QB sneak with no snap count. I like it.

I dunno bout that last part. It is fairly normal now that when teams run sneaks, they use the "goose" system. I'm quite certain not all of them pick up the first down. Teams don't fall for it like they did in the 70's.

This is actually even more reason for trying it. It's got a high probability for success, plus now you've added that the penalty for it being run unsuccessfully is reduced. If the QB walks up under center and sees DTs on each side of the center, he just backs off and takes the 5 yd delay of game penalty, and you punt from near midfield anyhow.

But why risk it? If the team isn't going to move the ball, you're just going to get it right back with good field position, right? Isn't that basically exactly where the term "trusting your defense" comes from? Why even risk a short field? If you fail the sneak, which does happen at a higher rate than you're going to admit, the Bears are one completed pass away from points. The negatives strongly outweigh the positives. Why risk giving up points when you don't have to?

Duh, they didn't do it because it would ruin the dramatic finish at the end. Same reason they didn't bother to score a point for 55 minutes. They were moving the ball early in the 4th Qtr, and Tebow decided to fumble to keep it interesting. The next time they had the ball Thomas dropped another pass and we hear Tebow telling him on the sideline "Guess what you're going to catch the game winner. It just makes it closer for a little longer."

Love him being wired for the game, heard some interesting stuff.