[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League Ideas

SecondString

Starting a new league for next year with a few owners from my current local. We are recruiting new owners now, while the season is still active. One of the things we would like to improve on is the amount of communication between owners. In our current league, the last couple of years there are only about four owners who communicate regularly, even including simple messages and posts on the league boards. The others we see at the draft, and may not see or hear from until next year's draft.

I think more communication makes the league more fun, and am looking for ideas to evoke more involvement on a week-to-week basis. Contests? Pick pools? Get-togethers. I am interested to hear what some of you guys do in your leagues to keep the activity level up throughout the season. Any ideas??

Thx.

Most of the web-based ideas come off sort of lame. Like the feature on Yahoo where you vote. The commish of one of the leagues I was in started in with a plea for us to use it "C'mon guys, fantasy geeks in 98 would have died for the chance to vote on who would win each week!" Really?

I think good old fashioned get togethers are the best way and I'd also imagine that weekly cash prize for highest over-all score would go a long way.

I'm starting a non-H2H league next year that will give you points based on how you finish each week. Because this will eliminate the need for an even number of teams, in the chance that we have an odd number, we're also going to have a "prize" for the person who finishes exactly in the middle of the pack. Something random and I'm thinking of stealing the Huddle's socks idea. Like here, it could create a rooting interest to finish exactly in the middle that will create some random smack talk.

Most of the web-based ideas come off sort of lame. Like the feature on Yahoo where you vote. The commish of one of the leagues I was in started in with a plea for us to use it "C'mon guys, fantasy geeks in 98 would have died for the chance to vote on who would win each week!" Really?

I think good old fashioned get togethers are the best way and I'd also imagine that weekly cash prize for highest over-all score would go a long way.

I'm starting a non-H2H league next year that will give you points based on how you finish each week. Because this will eliminate the need for an even number of teams, in the chance that we have an odd number, we're also going to have a "prize" for the person who finishes exactly in the middle of the pack. Something random and I'm thinking of stealing the Huddle's socks idea. Like here, it could create a rooting interest to finish exactly in the middle that will create some random smack talk.

Socks idea???

Honestly, I think you just have to see what type of owners you end up with and cull the ones you don't think contribute to the overall league style. We've done this over a ten year period. It took us about four or five years to get it locked in so we had solid competitors who loved to talk it up. I'm now sitting with three leagues that have had the same teams for more than 5 years and there's nothing better in fantasy than to have those rivalries we look forward to each year.

Agreed that get-togethers work the best.

I like writing weekly articles (previews/reviews/weekly rankings/etc, etc) to keep people interested in all the teams. I think a major inhibitor of discussion and activity is when owners are so wrapped up in their own team that they wouldn't know any trend happening with other teams.

That said, I don't think trash talk and weekly banter is necessarily the sign of an active or good owner. Some are more quiet than others...

Most leagues have a place where you can post "the news". This is fun place to take jabs at each other in the context of a" news article" posted to the website. Maybe start writing one of these each week. It wowuld encourage others to chime in. Or taking it a step further, require everyioone has to do it in a rotation.

Most leagues have a place where you can post "the news". This is fun place to take jabs at each other in the context of a" news article" posted to the website. Maybe start writing one of these each week. It wowuld encourage others to chime in. Or taking it a step further, require everyioone has to do it in a rotation.

this plus you can post a funny or old picture with your article. I also do a comical poll every week.

I am in a 12 team league where about half of the owners talk a lot of trash on the message boards with the others occationally posting. During the fantasy playoffs, we meet at a local watering hole on Monday nights for the game. Good for some face to face trash talk and a good excuse to get out of the house.

My other league is lame. I know one member and no communication. Even the draft was online. I am leaving that one (after I win it) and joining another with the promise of 12 loud-mouthed jerks. Hopefully, more competitive and fun.

In my league we use www.myfatansyleague.com We highly encourage trash talk and there is a chat window right on the opening page of the website. along with al the standings, scores as well as a survivor pool window that we include in our league. We've had the same core members for about 10 years now and the league has been active for about 20. I am the Commish and I will tell you that the MFL services are pretty flawless and leave nothing for me to do other than enforce our league rules. I am 150% sure that we will stick with website as long as possible and never bother with sites like ESPN or Yahoo.

In my league we use www.myfatansyleague.com We highly encourage trash talk and there is a chat window right on the opening page of the website. along with al the standings, scores as well as a survivor pool window that we include in our league. We've had the same core members for about 10 years now and the league has been active for about 20. I am the Commish and I will tell you that the MFL services are pretty flawless and leave nothing for me to do other than enforce our league rules. I am 150% sure that we will stick with website as long as possible and never bother with sites like ESPN or Yahoo.

Glad you mentioned this, I've heard good things about MFL. My co-commish was not sure it would be worth the money.