[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do any of you guys play in leagues that lock add/drops at the start of THURSDAY games?

markgugs

Nope. The commish should not make rules on their own without at least informing the entire league in advance. Best yet to discuss and vote, or make the announcement at the beginning of the year or the first time it occurs (before that first Thursday night game).

Did this just come up now, during the playoffs? Or did it change now for the playoffs yet add/drops were allowed other weeks after Thursday?

Is it possible the league management software did it automatically and the commish just doesn't know how to change it?

my league locks at kickoff of first game for pickups/drops...so after thanksgiving it does fall on a thursday.

as commish i go over all the rules, take feedback and possibly votes on any changes that want to be made for the following season, i post reminders that trade deadline is this week, or free agents lock thursday reminder..etc etc....moral of the story....everybody in my league knows whats going on

any league where there are changes made at any point after the draft order is picked is a bogus league in my opinion...so if he changed this midseason then yes it is messed up..if he just didnt explain this particular setting and nobody realized until the 1st thursday game then for the most part no1 is to blame...but we are now almost a month into the thursday night games so it shouldnt be a big deal now

i personally like the setting because it does add that tiny bit of extra strategy and preparation in a fantasy world flooded by chance and luck. Maybe you gotta pick up that backup kicker just in case your guy gets in a bar fight the night before or he gets dinged in practice....maybe pick up a monday night flex player so you can have an emergency plan if you got a few Q's in your lineup.....and even small shuffling of your roster spots to put the earliest games in non flex positions to leave you a few more options for the later games.....

What a ridiculous rule employed by 1 of my leagues.

Worst part is the commissioner didn't let anyone know this, so there was no vote or anything. I can understand locking down guys who played in the Thursday night games, but everyone else? Dumb

Yes, I hate it!

my league locks at kickoff of first game for pickups/drops...so after thanksgiving it does fall on a thursday.

as commish i go over all the rules, take feedback and possibly votes on any changes that want to be made for the following season, i post reminders that trade deadline is this week, or free agents lock thursday reminder..etc etc....moral of the story....everybody in my league knows whats going on

any league where there are changes made at any point after the draft order is picked is a bogus league in my opinion...so if he changed this midseason then yes it is messed up..if he just didnt explain this particular setting and nobody realized until the 1st thursday game then for the most part no1 is to blame...but we are now almost a month into the thursday night games so it shouldnt be a big deal now

i personally like the setting because it does add that tiny bit of extra strategy and preparation in a fantasy world flooded by chance and luck. Maybe you gotta pick up that backup kicker just in case your guy gets in a bar fight the night before or he gets dinged in practice....maybe pick up a monday night flex player so you can have an emergency plan if you got a few Q's in your lineup.....and even small shuffling of your roster spots to put the earliest games in non flex positions to leave you a few more options for the later games.....

As a fantasy league commissioner, fantasy player and NFL fan (?) you should probably know that Thursday games start in week 10, a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.

As a fantasy league commissioner, fantasy player and NFL fan (?) you should probably know that Thursday games start in week 10, a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.

thank you captain nitpicker....i was trying to point out that the thursday games have been going on for multiple weeks now (2 weeks prior to thanksgiving), not pinpoint the nfl schedule...i appreciate the need to quote it and even underline it....great job

Nope. Ours is set up to lock 5 min before kickoff of each player.

that's what I thought it was going to be...no one even noticed this until just a couple weeks ago. actually knocked a guy out of the playoffs b/c he hadn't picked up a defense. shame on us for not knowing I guess, but shame on the commish for putting this redic rule in place

I'm sorry, but I'm totally confused by this. How could the Commissioner just unilaterally put a rule into place without anyone knowing about it until now? :wacko:

let me amend my statement...my co-manager & I didn't know about it (and apparently neither did they guy who thought he could pick up a DST on Sunday morning 2 weeks ago)

I can't speak for the other 9 owners

Edited by markgugs

let me amend my statement...my co-manager & I didn't know about it (and apparently neither did they guy who thought he could pick up a DST on Sunday morning 2 weeks ago)

I can't speak for the other 9 owners

is it in the league rules? if so , then you not knowing is your fault not the commishs

is it in the league rules? if so , then you not knowing is your fault not the commishs

Agreed. If it is a new league or was a new rule this year it should have been pointed out, and a reminder before the first Thursday game would be helpful. (Doesn't sound like the commish just suddenly created the rule, only that several owners did not realize it was there.)

My co-comish who does the weekly message recapping the games always includes a reminders like this "Don't forget, there are Thursday games starting this week" even though the only real impact is your starting line-up (need to start/bench players in that game before kickoff).

I agree it isn't necessary or required, but many who play fantasy football hardly watch games and don't realize there are Thursday games (except Thanksgiving).

I understand, I should have read the league rules inside & out

But here's the thing, this isn't a new league. 9 of the 12 teams have owners who have been in this league since 1999, myself included.

This is the 1st year waivers got locked down from 1st game thru Tuesday in our league history, and it was NOT brought up at the draft. Why would people who've been in the league, year after year, think they had to check that 1 specific rule?

I understand, I should have read the league rules inside & out

But here's the thing, this isn't a new league. 9 of the 12 teams have owners who have been in this league since 1999, myself included.

This is the 1st year waivers got locked down from 1st game thru Tuesday in our league history, and it was NOT brought up at the draft. Why would people who've been in the league, year after year, think they had to check that 1 specific rule?

Rule changes should be mentioned at the draft. Better yet significant rule changes should be discussed by the whole league and voted on before being put in place. Commissioners are not meant to be dictators but facilitators. Changing when add/drops are allowed is pretty important.

I'm assuming that prior to this rule change waivers were open until Sunday before kickoff (or sometime on Friday/Saturday). The owners should take it up with the commish.

Owners should not have to read the rules every year to make sure that nothing has been changed.

Rule changes should be mentioned at the draft. Better yet significant rule changes should be discussed by the whole league and voted on before being put in place. Commissioners are not meant to be dictators but facilitators. Changing when add/drops are allowed is pretty important.

I'm assuming that prior to this rule change waivers were open until Sunday before kickoff (or sometime on Friday/Saturday). The owners should take it up with the commish.

Owners should not have to read the rules every year to make sure that nothing has been changed.

completely agree with the bolded statment , is it possible this is a new default setting on your league hosting site? or did u use a diff. site this year?

definitely not a default setting, because I commish my office league, use Yahoo as well, and the default is Sun-Tues for waivers. This year they changed the waiver rule to "Continual Rolling."

but there was definitely no mention of a total add/drop lockdown starting with 1st game (as opposed to the typical 12:55 PM Sunday).

it doesn't really matter at the moment, we made the championship game and now of course I know so we have to be ready for next week's game, but it definitely did cost 1 owner his playoff spot