[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles fans- Andy Reid

whomper

Reid  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still want Andy Reid as your coach ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Puddy

I have seen Birds fans call for his head this year. I saw Zooty root for the Birds to lose to win a survivor pool and get closer to firing Reid. Avernus , the Next generation, and for years Nsab . I was surprised to see Birds fans so ready to toss him overboard considering his overall performance over a long period of time although it didnt yield a ring. Now on the heels of a Torrid 2 game winning streak and impressive 6-8 record I have seen the calls for his head subside. So which is it ? Do you want him gone or not ? Please put it out there for all to see so you can flip flop no more

flip-flop? really? Is that what you call it?

Um, most coaches go through stretches where they are adored when the win, and chastized when they lose.That's sports, and human nature. I am sure there were fans clamoring for the Steelers to fire Cowher for a few years (after 12 seasons or whatever with no ring)...then he won one, and is now looked at as a genius. I am sure there are some in Dallas that loved Wade and his defensive mind when he was hired, only to wish him gone at the end? Is that a flip-flop :wacko:

ts judging people in the present, based on what you know in the moment.

Um, most coaches go through stretches where they are adored when the win, and chastized when they lose.That's sports, and human nature. I am sure there were fans clamoring for the Steelers to fire Cowher for a few years (after 12 seasons or whatever with no ring)...then he won one, and is now looked at as a genius. I am sure there are some in Dallas that loved Wade and his defensive mind when he was hired, only to wish him gone at the end? Is that a flip-flop :wacko:

I dont recall seeing much of a call for Cowhers head and comparing Reid, who may be the most succesful coach in the history of the franchise, to Wade Philips as the fan loyalty meter is a little silly. Im just curious to see if Eagles fans want him or not. Its a cut and dry question. I didnt put an option for "We were just chastizing him because we were losing" Reid has been around long enough where small winning and losing streaks shouldnt determine whether people want him gone or not

Edited by whomper

I think you guys are going through the same thing that I am going through with Mark Richt.

You have a good coach. He has brought success to the program. You look at the talent in that program and think "yep, this should be the year."

And then it never pans out. Yeah, you get to a BCS Superbowl, you win a couple SEC NFC championships and then, booom, you're mediocre for a few years. You sign some of the best talent in the country and you still can't beat quality opponents often enough.

You know, I'm not even an Eagles fan and after thinking about, I want Andy Reid fired, his teams haven't lived up to their potential and his ass should be gone. Fu(k him, he needs to go home and get his own house in order. Seriously, if he can't discipline his own kids, how the hell is he going to get a bunch of 20/30 something primadona's to listen to his fat ass.

Wow, sorry bout that.

Yes, Andy should go. His style is stale. He should be fired on the Castillo hire alone. He took a risk, it failed, and he must be held accountable. This team has too much talent to have only 6 wins. Even the genius, Jason Garrett, could have done a better job with the Eagles this year.

11 votes and only 2 guys (eagles fans not SEC) with nuggets enough to post their opinion

I didn't vote... I'm not an eagles fan, just wanted to share yer pain.

*shrug*

I think he should stay. The grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence. I think bringing in a Cowher, Fisher, Billick would end disastrously. If there's a bright, young, innovative offensive mind out there, I'd probably go for that.

I agree the Castillo decision was misguided and hopefully that's rectified. But any time you bring in as many new pieces as we did defensively, you'll need a solid season to get acquainted. It all went pretty much according to the schedule this year. I think they bounce back next season and I don't see any reason to blow the team up.

But that's just me. And from an entertainment perspective, I REALLY love when the Eagles are terrible. It's a lot more fun to listen to people freak out. So if they did fire Reid, I'd take some pleasure in the next few years of 5-win seasons :wacko:

As I've said before, I'm kind of ambivalent. I would like to see what he can do next year with this team as I think they have a ton of talent. Then again, he has had 13 years and it IS frustrating that he makes the same mistakes year after year.

Whatever...but if they replace him, they'd better not F it up!!!

I dont recall seeing much of a call for Cowhers head and comparing Reid, who may be the most succesful coach in the history of the franchise, to Wade Philips as the fan loyalty meter is a little silly. Im just curious to see if Eagles fans want him or not. Its a cut and dry question. I didnt put an option for "We were just chastizing him because we were losing" Reid has been around long enough where small winning and losing streaks shouldnt determine whether people want him gone or not

:wacko:

Your first post in this poll ends with "please put it out there so you can flip-flop no more". Saying its a straight-forward poll, then finishing by accusing Eagles fans of potentially "flip-flopping" (whatever that is) kinda slants your straight-forward poll. People draw opinions based on what they know at the moment. I am sure there were some Eagles fans that wanted him fired earlier in the year. I bet they are the same fans that would stand-up and cheer should the Eagles somehow manage to make the playoffs, and then roll to a Super Bowl. At that point, I doubt you'll find anyone that thinks Reid should be fired. Would that make them a flip-flopper if they think he should be gone today? Would that mean Reid went from a terrible coach to a brilliant mind in five weeks? Of course not.

:wacko:

Your first post in this poll ends with "please put it out there so you can flip-flop no more". Saying its a straight-forward poll, then finishing by accusing Eagles fans of potentially "flip-flopping" (whatever that is) kinda slants your straight-forward poll. People draw opinions based on what they know at the moment. I am sure there were some Eagles fans that wanted him fired earlier in the year. I bet they are the same fans that would stand-up and cheer should the Eagles somehow manage to make the playoffs, and then roll to a Super Bowl. At that point, I doubt you'll find anyone that thinks Reid should be fired. Would that make them a flip-flopper if they think he should be gone today? Would that mean Reid went from a terrible coach to a brilliant mind in five weeks? Of course not.

Its quite simply. You have a hugh body of work. You either want him gone or you dont. I would never bring it up if I hadnt seen Eagles fans call for his head. When you call for a coaches head there is no turning back. If you then fall back in love with him if the team gets hot , its called a flip flop. You seem to be the only person fighting me on the semantics of this. Others are just simply stating if they want him as a coach or not :tup:

Above post aside, I think he should stay for another season. Vick is under a monster contract thru next year at least(after which they could release him in a more cap-friendly way), and I think the team's got a decent chance to gel and get better with a real offseason. They lost a bunch of games via turnovers, something very uncharacteristic of a Reid-coached team. They threw a bunch of guys together, had very little time for them to learn their roles (re: Asomugha, DRC learning to play zone coverage)....give them an offseason together, work on the turnovers, and this team has enough talent to make some real noise, IMO

if you are going to bring in a new coach with a new scheme and completely start over, I think it fair to give that coach a lot of options as to who he wants to be his on-field leader. From a purely business standpoint, the Eagles would be smart to allow this team to gel, go through an offseason together, and see what they have next year....and get the most out of heir investment in Vick in the current system, versus making him learn something completely different in a trial-by-fire season.

That said, my feelings might be a tad different if the QB was a free agent....at least there would be a good argument for allowing the new coach to be able to build from scratch.

Its quite simply. You have a hugh body of work. You either want him gone or you dont. I would never bring it up if I hadnt seen Eagles fans call for his head. When you call for a coaches head there is no turning back. If you then fall back in love with him if the team gets hot , its called a flip flop. You seem to be the only person fighting me on the semantics of this. Others are just simply stating if they want him as a coach or not :wacko:

Why? I guess I don't understand why its so wrong to change your opinion of someone :tup:, as you seem to be iterating that doing so is wrong, and using the term "flip-flop" in regard to Eagles fans as a quasi-deragatory term.

So let me post a hypothetical to see what you'd do:

everyone loved the hiring of Garrett...yourself included.

Suppose the Cowboys miss the playoffs this year after having blown 3 12-point+ 4th quarter leads (after only blowing 4 in the history of the franchise). Then next year, they go 2-14, losing in ugly fashion, with a ton of undiciplined penalties. I am guessing you'd be amongst the many calling for his head....correct? Would that be a flip-flop?

if he wasn't fired, and led them to a Super Bowl win the next year with everything coming together, would you then say they should keep him? Of course you would. And I don't think it would be wrong in the least :lol:

When Cowher had two losing season's in a row, there were MANY Steeler fans calling for his head. Dan Rooney did an extremely intelligent thing by extending his contract for 2 or 3 more years, while the fans were calling for his head. Rooney basically stopped all of the fan dissent by saying, like it or not, this is my guy.

As for Reid, I still think he is a very good coach, and unless you can get someone near his level (Gruden, Cowher), I wouldn't make a change.

When Cowher had two losing season's in a row, there were MANY Steeler fans calling for his head. Dan Rooney did an extremely intelligent thing by extending his contract for 2 or 3 more years, while the fans were calling for his head. Rooney basically stopped all of the fan dissent by saying, like it or not, this is my guy.

As for Reid, I still think he is a very good coach, and unless you can get someone near his level (Gruden, Cowher), I wouldn't make a change.

precisely.

The Eagles have never been as successful as they have under Reid in terms of wins-losses. Last year, they basically went all-in for the next few years in signing Vick to an extension, and signing some high-priced players on the defensive side of the ball. Those guys are going to be here for the foreseeable future, so new coach will inherit someone else's laundry. Reid has had just two losing seasons in 12 years, none back to back when many thought the "window as closing". They did indeed have a down year this year, much of it to do with turnovers and a defense that never gelled as many would have hoped. I think both those things have the ability to be changed.

The offensive gameplan isn't much different than what is in place at the other clubs at the top of the NFC (NO and GB)...throw a ton to get a lead, and keep throwing to grow that lead. Don't tell me you have to be able to run the ball well to win....who is wearing the most recent SB ring? The QB didn't play well this year, turned the ball over a ton, then got dinged...end of story. The defense gave up a ton of yards, and lost some games early...period. Much of that is correctable....I think Reid deserves at least another year to work within the team he built :wacko:

Why? I guess I don't understand why its so wrong to change your opinion of someone :wacko:, as you seem to be iterating that doing so is wrong, and using the term "flip-flop" in regard to Eagles fans as a quasi-deragatory term.

So let me post a hypothetical to see what you'd do:

everyone loved the hiring of Garrett...yourself included.

Suppose the Cowboys miss the playoffs this year after having blown 3 12-point+ 4th quarter leads (after only blowing 4 in the history of the franchise). Then next year, they go 2-14, losing in ugly fashion, with a ton of undiciplined penalties. I am guessing you'd be amongst the many calling for his head....correct? Would that be a flip-flop?

if he wasn't fired, and led them to a Super Bowl win the next year with everything coming together, would you then say they should keep him? Of course you would. And I don't think it would be wrong in the least :tup:

Its a flawed comparison. You cant compare someone supporting a hiring to fans that change their minds about a coach of 10 + years. I did support the hiring of Garret . I liked his discipline and I liked the way the team played for him when he took over for Wade. Im glad he got a shot. I still support him. He has no track record as a HC and I am willing to suffer through some growing pains with him. When the writing is on the wall in my mind to no longer want him as a HC I will want him gone and not turn back. I give a pretty long leash. This is the case of a first time HC , not the best coach my franchise has ever had .

My point is that of course you have the right to say Reid is stale , its time fior a change and I want him gone but once you say that , IMO, its considered a flip flop if you get back on his ample teet when they start winning again

My point is that of course you have the right to say Reid is stale , its time fior a change and I want him gone but once you say that , IMO, its considered a flip flop if you get back on his ample teet when they start winning again

so this whole thread was your fishing trip for Swami?

I admire him for working through the entire overhaul and reconstruction of the offense with Vick coming in, been going on for almost two seasons now. He didn't plan it this way either, remember that Kolb was the man going into last season. Not easy.

He's never tried to use that as an excuse, and has faced the music by answering questions of the press the entire time, never blamed his QB or coaching staff or anyone else, and took it like a man. I think they are crazy if they get rid of him, because now they are on the verge of pulling it together.

so this whole thread was your fishing trip for Swami?

No, that was just an added bonus that Swammi got so worked up over the question

Edited by whomper

• 2 weeks later...
Above post aside, I think he should stay for another season. Vick is under a monster contract thru next year at least(after which they could release him in a more cap-friendly way), and I think the team's got a decent chance to gel and get better with a real offseason. They lost a bunch of games via turnovers, something very uncharacteristic of a Reid-coached team. They threw a bunch of guys together, had very little time for them to learn their roles (re: Asomugha, DRC learning to play zone coverage)....give them an offseason together, work on the turnovers, and this team has enough talent to make some real noise, IMO

He's back, though it sounds like Lurie gave the thought of a change some serious thought....and it sounds like 2012 has to be a SB year:

Eagles' Lurie: 'I want Andy back'

Andy Reid will return for another season as the Eagles' head coach. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

As expected, Eagles chairman Jeffrey Lurie said Andy Reid will return for his 14th season as head coach. Reid has a record of 126-81-1, but the Eagles have not won a playoff game since 2008 and are coming off a disappointing 8-8 season. Reid has had only one losing season after his first year in 1999 and the Eagles have been to the playoffs nine times.

After high expectations and significant spending at the end of the lockout, the Eagles struggled to a 4-8 start before winning the final four games. Reid is already the longest tenured coach in the NFL and among the longest tenured in all of pro sports.

“I want to see our team coached by Andy Reid and I can’t wait to see that team play,” Lurie said. “I wish that was next week, not next season. There is no doubt in my mind that if our focus is on winning a championship next year, the coach is Andy.” Lurie said the coaching staff is for Reid to decide, but said he has “full confidence that he will make the right decision there.”

Lurie was addressing the media for the first time since training camp.

“It’s completely unacceptable to be 8-8 and watch the teams playing next week,” he said.

Lurie said he “spent weeks” trying to analyze Reid’s status and said he met with “all sorts of people internally and externally. He said he does an analysis of the “whole gamut” every year, but said this year might have been the “most intense analysis.”

He cited three factors, the track record of the coach; the more shorter term history of the coach and “most important is the intangibles.” “Amidst feeling all the frustration and anger as a fan, I tried to come to the best conclusion,” Lurie said.

“If I didn’t think next year would be substantially better, I would be up here announcing a coaching change or other changes,” said Lurie, who said he was holding everybody accountable, especially for the scheme changes that were put in place with a short training camp.

He also said, “It’s not enough just to make the playoffs. That is not my goal, that is not our fans’ goals. It is a precursor … ”

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...9#ixzz1iQdvJ4j2

Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Edited by i_am_the_swammi