[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should this Team Exist?

kalel3475

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair questions to be sure.

I asked the question, "Should this team exist?" with a particular "answer" in mind. This is true. However, I was intentionally vague about details at first because I wanted to see what perspective people would respond from. Maybe this was a mistake. But as I stated in a couple of threads, nearly everyone who knows Fantasy football who isn't in this League immediately wants to know what the heck is going on when they see this team's roster. They wonder HOW such a team came into existence. One person stated, "If I was in that League, he (the owner of the team in question) would be tired of me by now with all the ranting..."

So as for what "answers" I was looking for, I guess a general reaction to a line up of that caliber existing for ANY reason in a 12 team league. Forgetting the rules on trading and all of that, does the existence of this particular team say anything about the league as a whole, besides that this ONE owner is on top of his game? Based on some of the posts here, it would seem to suggest that the majority of the other 11 owners are incompetent at best or colluders at worst. Knowing the players involved, I would say the former as opposed to the later.

What about this question? Does anyone here have a team in their league of at least 12 teams and 16 roster spots that is as dominate as the lineup I have presented here?

Right now, according to our point system, he has the Top QB, the top 3 RB, the 2nd and 9th ranked WR, and the 5th ranked TE, based on total points scored for the year.

Two of these he actually drafted in Rice and Welker, meaning that other league owners traded him the other 5 top scorers in the league, forgetting the fact that he actually traded Welker away and got him back later.

Has anything like this happened in one of your leagues of like size and roster numbers?

Now be honest.... it's your team isn't it?

The team is a complete failure. No Calvin Johnson. :wacko:

Swammi speaks the truth.

One question, does Lord Opie own the team?

Bottom line. Owner is savvy and lucky to boot as compared to other owners. Sounds like sour grapes all around. I'd be VERY wary of this anti-trade collusion in the League. It is each and every owner's responsibility to weigh the effects of any and all trades he/she is involved in. This does not only mean how does it affect my team relative to the other teams in my Division/League.

The team is a complete failure. No Calvin Johnson. :wacko:

Swammi speaks the truth.

One question, does Lord Opie own the team?

Bottom line. Owner is savvy and lucky to boot as compared to other owners. Sounds like sour grapes all around. I'd be VERY wary of this anti-trade collusion in the League. It is each and every owner's responsibility to weigh the effects of any and all trades he/she is involved in. This does not only mean how does it affect my team relative to the other teams in my Division/League.

I wouldn't call it "anti-trade." But some owners are frustrated that certain owners trade primarily with this one owner and keep trading him name-brand studs.

I would like to hear from someone who has a team in their 12-team league that has the top QB, the top 3 RB, two top 10 WR and the 5th top scoring TE. In my experience, leagues, especially serious money leagues like this one, don't typically have teams like this.

I wouldn't call it "anti-trade." But some owners are frustrated that certain owners trade primarily with this one owner and keep trading him name-brand studs.

Do these frustrated owners actively engage any of these other owners in trade talks, or are they just sitting back watching it happen. You mentioned that you have made no trades this year. Now, there could be countless reasons for this, and not saying you are one of these frustrated owners, but if you are perceived as an owner that does not engage in trades, then that is one less person for these owners to look at when considering trades, whereas this other owner has made multiple trades involving big name players from both sides, which is fun and exciting for a lot of owners, and shows he is willing to deal, meaning other owners are more likely to engage him in trade talks

I would like to hear from someone who has a team in their 12-team league that has the top QB, the top 3 RB, two top 10 WR and the 5th top scoring TE. In my experience, leagues, especially serious money leagues like this one, don't typically have teams like this.

It doesn't typically happen, but I have seen some extremely dominant lineups before. Granted, a little less common in redrafters, but it is certainly possible, even in a league full of experienced owners.

Do these frustrated owners actively engage any of these other owners in trade talks, or are they just sitting back watching it happen. You mentioned that you have made no trades this year. Now, there could be countless reasons for this, and not saying you are one of these frustrated owners, but if you are perceived as an owner that does not engage in trades, then that is one less person for these owners to look at when considering trades, whereas this other owner has made multiple trades involving big name players from both sides, which is fun and exciting for a lot of owners, and shows he is willing to deal, meaning other owners are more likely to engage him in trade talks

That is probably part of it. I sent out trades that didn't work out, so I am not against trading. I will say that a lot of these trades take place during work--5 of us work together, and I've seen trades sent to me in the morning but pulled before work was done and I had a chance to look at it in depth.

I get the impression they like trading as much as anything and since this owner has the time and the others are willing, he ends up with the majority of the trades.

It doesn't typically happen, but I have seen some extremely dominant lineups before. Granted, a little less common in redrafters, but it is certainly possible, even in a league full of experienced owners.

Possible, yes. Typical, not that I have seen. But as I've said, he is a good owner.

Why bring this up during the playoffs? It sounds like your just mad that the owner of said team got sweet trades and you did not. Haters gonna hate.

You probably won't believe this, but I just now took the time to find a fantasy football message board to ask the question.

But the owner of this team and I have had this discussion several times over the last three years. Each year the same owners trade him name-brand studs for lesser players, each year he ends up with a pro-bowl team and statistically dominates everyone else. The other owners who trade with him either barely make he playoffs, or miss them all together like they did this year.

I should do a better job of taking advantage of the other owners, I admit. I just wanted to hear from other fantasy owners about it. They love trading regardless of how stacked this ONE owner always ends up, and I think that they think this sort of thing is common. I don't think it is common at all for one team to be THAT much better than everyone else in league, especially three years straight.

You probably won't believe this, but I just now took the time to find a fantasy football message board to ask the question.

But the owner of this team and I have had this discussion several times over the last three years. Each year the same owners trade him name-brand studs for lesser players, each year he ends up with a pro-bowl team and statistically dominates everyone else. The other owners who trade with him either barely make he playoffs, or miss them all together like they did this year.

I should do a better job of taking advantage of the other owners, I admit. I just wanted to hear from other fantasy owners about it. They love trading regardless of how stacked this ONE owner always ends up, and I think that they think this sort of thing is common. I don't think it is common at all for one team to be THAT much better than everyone else in league, especially three years straight.

Sounds like he is a shrewd owner, a good negotiatror and good evaluator of talent. If year after he year he is accomplishing the underlined above he's good at what he does. And the rest of the owners who trade with him are bad. You'd think they would learn after the first or second year.

Not sure what to tell you, some guys are better at this than others. Some guys don't care as much as others, and having fun (trading and shaking up their teams) may be more important than winning (particularly if the stakes are not very high).

We have some owner that are not very good, who may draft decent and manage their teams ok. But they aren't willing to spend $ on roster moves ($2 per player added) or work to make trades. They usually don't do very well. Most of the teams that win are making trades and finding players on waivers.

I'm still not sure what feedback you're really expecting. I'd say work harder to trade, or if it is a big deal and you're not happy find another league. Or do you think the owner with this team is doing something unfair or colluding with others?

I play in a league run on CBS Sports and have never seen this rating of teams chances to win a title before.

This rating of teams does exist on CBS Sports. It resides under the "Set Lineup" heading as "The Machine." The Machine is a optional add-on ($$$) that performs a statistical analysis of all league teams, players, weekly chance of winning, and Playoff and Championship percentage chance of winning.

BTW: It's not worth the money (I think it was $20.00), but it does exist.

who does he have as his punter ?

and i once had a team made up of all Smiths

alex

kevin

emiitt

steve

steve

etc

Morrissey was my kicker

I bet they "Scored More the Closer They Got"? :wacko: :rimshot:

Sounds like he is a shrewd owner, a good negotiatror and good evaluator of talent. If year after he year he is accomplishing the underlined above he's good at what he does. And the rest of the owners who trade with him are bad. You'd think they would learn after the first or second year.

Not sure what to tell you, some guys are better at this than others. Some guys don't care as much as others, and having fun (trading and shaking up their teams) may be more important than winning (particularly if the stakes are not very high).

We have some owner that are not very good, who may draft decent and manage their teams ok. But they aren't willing to spend $ on roster moves ($2 per player added) or work to make trades. They usually don't do very well. Most of the teams that win are making trades and finding players on waivers.

I'm still not sure what feedback you're really expecting. I'd say work harder to trade, or if it is a big deal and you're not happy find another league. Or do you think the owner with this team is doing something unfair or colluding with others?

You are 100% correct on all accounts IMHO. He is good at evaluating talent. I tease him about selling used cars, so negotiating one of his strengths as well.

The other owners are not as good as he is, even though they think they are, and he takes full advantage of them. They do it every year without fail and without learning. I have thought about leaving for this reason. Like I said, he is doing nothing wrong; nobody is technically doing anything wrong for that matter.

Actually, your feedback is just about exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Okay, as of right now, the owner of the Pro-Bowl team is losing in the Championship Game 164-117. His opponent has had a great game from his entire roster, with the Pro-Bowl team not doing so hot. It hasn't helped him that Jennings is out.

Rodgers is going tomorrow night of course, but the other team has either Moore or Meachum going Monday night, so over coming the 47 point difference that exists now plus whatever his WR puts up probably isn't going to happen.

He will finish the year 14-1, pocket the $300 second place prize instead of the $600 for first, the people that didn't make the playoffs with their horrible teams won't learn anything of course and we begin the process all over again next year. They will take his losing as proof that luck has more to do with their problems that the crappy trades they made, refusing to see the big picture.....they make really trades that end up hurting themselves and making one team nearly unbeatable. I mean, if one team is outscoring the rest of the League by over 400 points and is only outscored 13 times during the regular season, those points and wins came from somewhere, and my money is on the teams that traded name-brand studs to his team.

I love being in the league, and I don't like rules that limit trading....but I'm not sure I can handle the stupidity of a small group of owners that clearly want to trade more than anything else and will do so regardless of how obvious it hurts their team and how dominate it makes one team year after year after year after year. If they spread out their stupidity over a few other teams it would make it bearable. But I guess part of that is my fault for not being more aggressive with them early in the year.

Thanks for all of the responses. Sorry I couldn't post the draft results. I think some of you would have found it very interesting.

Hope your leagues are going well and good luck to those of you playing in your Championship games.

This whole thread has been baffling from the get go. I don't get the issue. Why don't you assume the same role as he has and start trading with the same 'bad' traders? I really need my 11 1/2 cumulative minutes back that this thread has stolen from me.

This whole thread has been baffling from the get go. I don't get the issue. Why don't you assume the same role as he has and start trading with the same 'bad' traders? I really need my 11 1/2 cumulative minutes back that this thread has stolen from me.

Done. They will arrive by FedEx within the week...I hope.

And yeah, I know I should really do a better job of getting in on the trades early.

What I think may be baffling is that it seems the answer to my question is fairly obvious....the team CAN exist in a league without overly strict trade regulations such as having League voting or an overzealous commissioner, but that a team like this probably shouldn't exist in a 12-team league because owners should be smarter about who they trade and who they trade with.

But that is part of my frustration, and the frustration of some others in the league. For a small group of owners, they either can't or won't see what they are doing because they like trading more than anything else about fantasy football. They fancy themselves NFL GMs and despite all evidence to the contrary--three years of evidence to the contrary, they believe they are making good deals as they continue to decimate their teams while making one team, the same team, dominate. It actually makes me mad how much time these people spend at work making these ridiculous deals. But I digress.

Sorry to take another 30 seconds of you life. :wacko:

Edited by kalel3475

This. I don't get why it's even an issue. Good lord, most complaints here are about trading inactivity, not trading activity. There is no sniff of collusion in here beyond the suggestion that people should conspire NOT to trade with this guy, an attitude I believe to be completely wrong.

Old saying: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

This. I don't get why it's even an issue. Good lord, most complaints here are about trading inactivity, not trading activity. There is no sniff of collusion in here beyond the suggestion that people should conspire NOT to trade with this guy, an attitude I believe to be completely wrong.

Old saying: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Well, we had over $1200 dollars going to the top four teams in the league. When a few owners trade their name-brand studs to one team who is far and away the most dominate team statistically, it can take a bit of the fun out of the rest of the season because the chances of any other team actually winning some of the money goes down...in this case significantly. Especially when it has happened like clockwork 3 years in a row.

And just to be clear, a group did leave after last year because they saw trades happen two years in a row that made no sense and since they all went to the same team, they did assume collusion. The league was basically two groups of 6, and all the trades to this one team were from "our" side of the league. In their minds, the trades only made sense if there was collusion, so after two years of seeing this trend they decided enough was enough.

I know these people better than that group did, so I don't believe collusion is happening. Just stupidity.

And yes, I should do a better job of "joining" them, no arguments there.

Edited by kalel3475