[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aaron Rodgers one concussion away from medical retirement

BadDawg

http://www.huliq.com/10282/aaron-rodgers-o...kers-sell-stock

When evaluating prospective players for the future, you may want to review their concussion history. Even someone as dominating in points totals as Rodgers becomes a liability when you consider he is one big hit away from not only temporary IR ... but worst case ... early medical retirement much like Troy Aikman succumbed to.

Also listed in the article was the reference to Tim Tebow ... "Tim Tebow is also 'one concussion' away from being sent into early NFL retirement."

The NFL is getting a little more paranoid about their liablity resulting from their handling of player concussions in the past, and now they require concussed players to follow up with an MRI, see a neurologist and undergo “impact” testing to determine if they should or should NOT be playing. That is happened this past month when Sidney Rice was forced to IR for the year for the fact that he suffered his second concussion of the season.

Do you think I'm over concerned, making concussion history an evaluating criteria for draft selections ?

:wacko:

Any particular reason why you're using the :wacko: emoticon to describe an issue that sends players into early retirement with potentially serious health effects? Concussions are a bit more serious than your FF draft decisions, when former players are even now suing the NFL (right or wrong) for "ignoring" the concussion issue in the past.

But it is something that was overlooked when people were debating Rodgers or Vick before this season, and talknig about Vick being an injury risk... But at the same time, it's a bit different with a guy like Rodgers, to where it's not constant different injuries from being a smaller running QB, but more a risk that you may only be able to go to that well so many times.

Yeah, any player can be one concussion away, but those with any concussion history will be higher risk (to the OP's original point). I wouldn't mind having a list of those with a history going into next year's draft, not that it would have a huge influence on any decisions/rankings. But Jahvid Best is a great example.

I don't believe that's been proven.

With the NFL's policy and stance, not to mention what may come out of any lawsuit settlement, those players will certainly be at higher risk to miss games, regardless of what you think has been proven medically. That's what we're talking about here, at least as far as fantasy impact, per the OP's original point.

I don't believe that's been proven.

fail

http://scienceline.org/2008/04/ask-heger-concussion/

...After having one concussion you are more likely to have another — some doctors estimate you increase your risk up to three times. There are two reasons why your risk increases: carelessness and brain chemistry.

The first reason is the obvious: After you hit your head, you will be slower to react. So if you jump right back on your bike, you won’t have the same reflexes to stop on a dime or swerve at the last minute. Surprisingly, this is actually more common than you might think. Devoted football or soccer athletes may return to a game sooner than they should after taking a hard hit, greatly increasing their risk of another concussion. Also, after you have a concussion, you’re less attentive overall, making tasks like crossing the street that much more dangerous.

The increased susceptibility for a second concussion also comes down to brain chemistry. A concussion causes chemical changes in your brain, which leave the brain unbalanced and more prone to damage for up to a year, said David Hovda, director of the Brain Injury Research Center at the University of California, Los Angeles...

http://whyfiles.org/190sport_injury/3.html

Here's a good reason to know whether you've had a concussion: They make you more vulnerable to another. "We've done several studies showing that concussions are cumulative," says Joseph Maroon, team physician to the Pittsburgh Steelers and vice chair of the department of neurosurgery at the University of Pittsburgh. "If you return to football while still suffering the effects, the chances of having a more severe concussion, caused by less force, are greater." That's primarily true during recovery, he adds, "but we are finding that individuals who have had one or two concussions are more susceptible beyond the recovery period."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...=clnk&gl=us

Long-Term Affects

...According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, more than 2 million people will suffer a concussion this year. Many occur on athletic playing fields. It's important to know a concussion is a brain injury. These injuries lead to an estimated 80,000 cases of long-term disability each year and claim nearly 50,000 lives.

Concussions are known to be cumulative. That is, for every concussion you get, you are FOUR TIMES more susceptible to get another!

Also, repeated concussions can lead to long-term memory loss, psychiatric disorders, and other neurological problems.

If you have had a number of concussions, your physician likely will advise you to avoid the activities that may put you at risk for future head injuries and to discontinue contact sports. Professional boxers and football players are particularly prone to the effects of cumulative concussions...

Edited by keggerz

umm, I don't think this is about missing games, but ending a career. So, back to the point... what makes you think that having a concussion makes one more likely to have another?

That IS the point!! The OP's original question was "When evaluating for the future..." (paraphrased). I think it's a fair question. I gave you Jahvid Best as an example of someone with a concussion history, who missed over half of this season because of a recurring incident. Add to that the NFL's more stringent policies regarding concussions and the pending lawsuit...sounds like it might be something to be aware of in selecting players.

I'm no expert on the subject by any means, I'm just saying that the OP has a good point that it may be worth considering in evaluating players because those with a history may have a higher likelihood of missing future games, that's all.

First Rogers should retire because his day job ( playing QB ) isn't something he is any good at.

Why does he wast his time trying to get better ?

Move on man why you are still young enough to pick up a new career.

It's not like he is ever going to turn into even a decent QB like Alex Smith

The writing is on the wall and we know he will be holding a clipboard for McNabb next year so just retire now dude & move on.

Wow, good research here....so, the question is...

Is there a place to get a comprehensive list of NFL players with concussion histories???? Would love to have that for next year's draft.

Wow, good research here....so, the question is...

Is there a place to get a comprehensive list of NFL players with concussion histories???? Would love to have that for next year's draft.

I have an idea where I can get it(it won't be easy and will take quite a bit of time too) and how about I just say that I will talk to DMD about turning it into an article for next season :wacko:

I find the article to be poorly written, fails to provide credible referencing and uses nebulous sources and references. I'm highly skeptical.

These jumped at me and lead to some research:

said Berger, who has not treated Rodgers, but told sports media that given his history of concussions in high school, college and now in the NFL, he should consider early retirement along the lines of Troy Aikman who had to end his playing career with Dallas after numerous concussions endangered his life from serious brain damage.

Physicians who make bold assessments without ever having seen the person they are assessing have poor credibility. Further, upon doing a substantial internet search, I could not find any documentation of Rodgers suffering a concussion in college, and of his missing one game in high school due to a concussion. Perhaps someone else here can find some documentation that the article freely quotes and that the Dr. uses as his support to make his bold assessment?

Moreover, there are more than “374,000” references online about Aaron Rodgers and his many concussions. Of course, Packers fans and others view such details as simply a “buzz kill.”

What is a reference? Plugging "Aaron Rodgers" and "concussion" into a search engine and seeing how many references there are? How does that create any basis for supporting any of the the claims of the author? This is just really poor technique that provides literally nothing supportive of his claims.

In turn, Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow is also “one concussion” away from being sent into early NFL retirement. Tebow’s many concussions -- as both a high school and college player are legend

I can find reference to one concussion Tebow has suffered in high school and college - he suffered one in a game against Kentucky. Unless someone can find some other references, that hardly amounts to a concussion history that is "legend". If that history is "legend", wouldn't it be easy to find additional documentation?

Two months later, Rodgers took another hit from Detroit Lions linebacker, Landon Johnson, that left him seemingly disoriented on the field after yet another major concussion

What is a "major" concussion? I have researched medical definitions, including those from the Mayo clinic, and have found that concussions are defined as "mild" and "severe". There is no definition that I could find for "major" concussion. The concussion referenced here against the Lions would qualify as a mild concussion per the described symptoms - which is disorientation and does not include prolonged unconsciousness and evidence of impairment of brain stem functions.

The article also completely fails to explore the helmet Rodgers is now wearing - the Xenith X1, which has been called a "floating" helmet that is specially designed to reduce trauma to the head substantially upon impact.

I don't take concussions of football players lightly, but the author here seems to be reaching way beyond his "evidence" as well as doing a really piss poor job in presenting the material.

Any particular reason why you're using the :wacko: emoticon to describe an issue that sends players into early retirement with potentially serious health effects? Concussions are a bit more serious than your FF draft decisions, when former players are even now suing the NFL (right or wrong) for "ignoring" the concussion issue in the past.

Last I checked this was a fantasy football website so I'm surprised you take any issue whatsoever with people viewing the scenario in terms of fantasy football consequences...... I mean, this being a fantasy football website and all.

If this were a health website or concussion website I could see your point. But in the context of this particular website....not so much.

Any particular reason why you're using the :tup: emoticon to describe an issue that sends players into early retirement with potentially serious health effects? Concussions are a bit more serious than your FF draft decisions, when former players are even now suing the NFL (right or wrong) for "ignoring" the concussion issue in the past.

But it is something that was overlooked when people were debating Rodgers or Vick before this season, and talknig about Vick being an injury risk... But at the same time, it's a bit different with a guy like Rodgers, to where it's not constant different injuries from being a smaller running QB, but more a risk that you may only be able to go to that well so many times.

Last I checked this was a fantasy football website so I'm surprised you take any issue whatsoever with people viewing the scenario in terms of fantasy football consequences...... I mean, this being a fantasy football website and all.

If this were a health website or concussion website I could see your point. But in the context of this particular website....not so much.

Ahhh hell ... the real reason is ... I'm just "smug".

:wacko:

BB makes a great point about the Dr. who wrote the article making all these statemens and conclusions without ever having treated Rodgers. Its very silly and many do it (most "expert witnesses" included).

Is there risk, sure any player could get take a hit that will end their career. Does having a concussion histroy mean they are more likely to have another one and put them at higher risk possibly ending their career, evidently yes based on the evidence of those provided here.

Is it something that should be heavily factored into fantasy football decisions, probably not because like all injury issues it is very hard to predict what will happen. If anything its a bigger concern in dynasty/keeper leagues, particularly when drafting and trading players who've been in the league for a while.

The kind of offense they play in (Tebow running a lot), the amount of risk they are placed in (bad OL means QB getting clobbered), and other factors that affect their possible production are still going to rank MUCH HIGHER in importance.

If the "expert" making this statement has never treated the subject (Rodgers), there's no legitimacy to his claim. In the situation of Jahvid Best, the medical staff had mentioned that he consider the possibility of hanging it up. Jahvid best is definitely someone you could call "concussion-prone." But to make this kind of claim when you haven't even treated the subject is just dumb. It's a catchy headline used to bring readers in with not much substance. Concussions are serious and should be treated as such in individual cases, not just commented on in general speaking.

If the "expert" making this statement has never treated the subject (Rodgers), there's no legitimacy to his claim. In the situation of Jahvid Best, the medical staff had mentioned that he consider the possibility of hanging it up. Jahvid best is definitely someone you could call "concussion-prone." But to make this kind of claim when you haven't even treated the subject is just dumb. It's a catchy headline used to bring readers in with not much substance. Concussions are serious and should be treated as such in individual cases, not just commented on in general speaking.

As somebody said in another thread

"More than ever, the media is all about generating contreversy."

Anything to attract readers.