[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chuckie to the Rams?

tazinib1

The Rams intend to hire Jon Gruden as their next head coach, sources tell the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee says that if GM A.J. Smith is fired, he'll replace Billy Devaney in the same capacity with the Rams. And Smith would bring his long-time friend Gruden to St. Louis with him. The Rams have Sam Bradford, possibly the top pick in the 2012 draft, and the most cap room of any team in 2013. It's also possible the Chargers will retain Smith, fire Norv Turner and attempt to lure Gruden to San Diego.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

I have a strong feeling we are going to lose both Smith and Turner so this is very plausible. However, if we do retain Smith (something I'm not a cheerleader for), bringing in Gruden is the only consolation I would feel comfortable with. Otherwise, lets clean out the closet and bring in Cohwer. Bill will have more control of the team with a new GM and we can start playing some smash mouth football on defense again...like the good ole days.

Edited by tazinib1

I still say neither Gruden nor Cowher return to coaching this year. I could be wrong (happens a lot) but it seems most guys that have recently gone from coach to broadcasting have no desire (or haven't been offered the right deal) to go back to coaching. Who can blame them, it seems if you cannot win a SB you're considered a failure.

I still say neither Gruden nor Cowher return to coaching this year. I could be wrong (happens a lot) but it seems most guys that have recently gone from coach to broadcasting have no desire (or haven't been offered the right deal) to go back to coaching. Who can blame them, it seems if you cannot win a SB you're considered a failure.

Well there are already reports that Cowher has already met with San Diego but those reports are being denied by the Chargers of course. We'll see.....this is like waiting for a divorce to be finalized. Painstakingly grueling.

I hope Gruden doesn't go to a HC job. I love him on MNF. It cracks me up at how amazingly positive he is all the time. Headline from the onion:

"Jon Gruden Compliments Random Fans In Stadium After Running Out Of Praise For Players"

Well there are already reports that Cowher has already met with San Diego but those reports are being denied by the Chargers of course. We'll see.....this is like waiting for a divorce to be finalized. Painstakingly grueling.

Every year we hear rumors of Cowher, Gruden and others meeting with people looing for a HC. Every year they turn out to be mostly false.

Just another byproduct of the twitter age, the media rumor mill, and a complete lack of real journalism in sports.

Try having a POS coach who you know isn't going anywhere (Colts).

Teams often use a third party to contact potential hires so they can say they didn't contact so and so and still be truthful...sort of.

From what I hear , Cowher is telling everyone he will not coach next year. But it has been rumored he would come back for the NYG job, which is not open at the moment .Thia is why you will not hear Cowher speak about it publicly. For what its worth, I would not mind if Coughlin left or stayed , but I think he is back unless we lose to the Cowgals this weekend and we all know that is NOT gonna happen.

I think you've nailed it here. Those broadcast gigs pay pretty decent cash, you need to show up once or twice a week and the only prima donnas you need to worry about are the retired ones on your broadcast team. Already having more than enough cash to sustain a really nice lifestyle for centuries, why would anyone want to go back to the sixteen hour days of coaching? :wacko:

Whomper makes a valid point about Cowher - his time may have already come and gone. The running game is only an occasional distraction from the passing game these days. Cowher could turn out to be an antiquated anomaly in 2012 and he most likely knows it.

I think you've nailed it here. Those broadcast gigs pay pretty decent cash, you need to show up once or twice a week and the only prima donnas you need to worry about are the retired ones on your broadcast team. Already having more than enough cash to sustain a really nice lifestyle for centuries, why would anyone want to go back to the sixteen hour days of coaching? :wacko:

Whomper makes a valid point about Cowher - his time may have already come and gone. The running game is only an occasional distraction from the passing game these days. Cowher could turn out to be an antiquated anomaly in 2012 and he most likely knows it.

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Rams plan to "make a serious run" at ex-Titans coach Jeff Fisher.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that Jon Gruden would be hired as head coach, but only if Chargers GM A.J. Smith lands in St. Louis. Fisher, who is also tight with Smith, could be viewed as a fallback option to Gruden. Sources have told the Union-Trib that ESPN is "already preparing" for the departure of Gruden.

Source. NFL.com

This seems like its all gonna be decided upon weather or not AJ Smith is retained by the Chargers.

Edited by tazinib1

ESPN released a statement to Profootballtalk refuting a report that Jon Gruden will leave the Monday Night Football booth for a return to coaching in 2012.

"Jon signed a multi-year extension with ESPN this fall," said ESPN. "He remains committed to being a part of Monday Night Football for many years." Multiple sources tell PFT that Gruden will indeed return to ESPN for the 2012 season. The original report may have been planted by sources close to Chargers GM A.J. Smith in an effort to get owner Dean Spanos to think twice about a possible firing.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Glad to see everybody else is seeing why this turd is such a Megan Fox.

I believe 2 years ago I said if the Chargers were in any other division they would not make the playoffs...I guess I was wrong they couldn't even win their own division the last 2 years!

I am sure Big John can find where I said this 2 years ago!

I believe 2 years ago I said if the Chargers were in any other division they would not make the playoffs...I guess I was wrong they couldn't even win their own division the last 2 years!

This is not news to most Chargers fans. Least of all those that post here.

Big John could sense a two year old fart on the breeze and then trace it back to its maker, and do so in under a minute.