[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Pereira seems to have some issues with Chuckie

Lloyd Dobler

I'm not a Pereira fan. Never have been. He's a Megan Fox that is riding the coattails of being the networks go-to official. Dude should shut his trap. Any official that berates a coach, player or anybody else that that has put on a jock strap should be hit in the head late at night with a sock full of quarters.

You can dispute whether Pereira should attack Gruden in this public manner but you can't dispute that Gruden was wrong both times. Pereira makes a great point about announcers knowing the rules (and could have extended that criticism to some folks around here too).

I actually remember those plays and thinking after the helmet to helmet one, "What the hel1 is Gruden talking about, that is a penalty" ...of course i took it as him thinking it shouldn't be, not because it was but that he thinks the rule is bad...even if that isn't what he said, that was how I took it....then after the hit to the TE I felt like he was basically doing the same thing :shrug; maybe MP should or shouldn't air what he did...but his point is spot on about the guys in the booth needing to know the rules

Edited by keggerz

I actually remember those plays and thinking after the helmet to helmet one, "What the hel1 is Gruden talking about, that is a penalty" ...of course i took it as him thinking it shouldn't be, not because it was but that he thinks the rule is bad...even if that isn't what he said, that was how I took it....then after the hit to the TE I felt like he was basically doing the same thing :shrug; maybe MP should or shouldn't air what he did...but his point is spot on about the guys in the booth needing to know the rules

Pretty weak on Pereira's part to call him out like that. The 1st paragraph did not to be written the way it was.

I actually remember those plays and thinking after the helmet to helmet one, "What the hel1 is Gruden talking about, that is a penalty" ..

I want to freaking kill people that do this. (A) Know the freaking rules, of course it's a penalty (:wacko: I don't care if you THINK it shouldn't be a penalty, it IS one so call me sily call me rude, but call me please already and call the game. Gruden does this all the time, both not knowing if/why it's a penalty and/or pissing and moaning that it shouldn't be. I mostly like watching him on MNF but he's losing me very, very fast over this crap.

i took it as him thinking it shouldn't be, not because it was but that he thinks the rule is bad...even if that isn't what he said, that was how I took it...

Same here. As well Gruden is not the first to call into question a refs calls this isn't new. Smells fishy like Pereira has something purely against Gruden actually he doesn't really hide it.

Edited by Seahawk

Yeah, seemed like Pereira just had an axe to grind with Gruden. Taz is right, the guy is kind of a Megan Fox, but in the same sense Gruden needs to get his calls right if he's going to knock the officials. I think the majority of fans outside Atlanta understood that he was wrong, so it's pretty much a non-issue.

On another note, I love the fact that the 2nd video which highlighted what the NFL considers as clean hits showed a lot of the hits coming from Saints players... namely Malcom Jenkins. :wacko:

I really have no problem with Pereira calling him out, Gruden was wrong. IMO, announcers/commentators/analysts do have an obligation to know the rules (or shut up about them if they don't), report the truth, and show a modicum of objectivity. The officials really have no forum to defend themselves if they are being incorrectly called out, so...no problem, if he's wrong and out of line, he deserves to be challenged.

Now the way Pereira did it with the "...loudmouth as a coach..." blah, blah, blah was a little uncalled for, probably too contentious & confrontational. Could've taken the high road.

Meh, I've always had the feeling that Gruden's super positive nice guy schtick was phony as hell so I'm not surprised he has made some enemies from his time in the league. Maybe it's weak on Pereira to write the article the way he did, but that doesn't mean that the overall point is off. :wacko:

Yeah, seemed like Pereira just had an axe to grind with Gruden. Taz is right, the guy is kind of a Megan Fox, but in the same sense Gruden needs to get his calls right if he's going to knock the officials. I think the majority of fans outside Atlanta understood that he was wrong, so it's pretty much a non-issue.

On another note, I love the fact that the 2nd video which highlighted what the NFL considers as clean hits showed a lot of the hits coming from Saints players... namely Malcom Jenkins. :wacko:

It was a weak ass call...

What comes around goes around and, assuming that Gruden was the prick to officials that Pereira claims he was, I have no idea why he should be sheltered from being called out in public. He sits in a booth and critiques others. Including, it seems, officials for making the calls exactly as the rules have been established.

I find it completely understandable for a former ref to let loose on him publicly for this.

I've also got to say that I'm a bit puzzled that anyone has an opinion, one way or the other on the guy. As far as I'm concerned, he's the dude that comes on the screen every now and then and provides insight on calls. Kind of a nice feature, IMO.

ETA: I should add that I'm actually not a fan of the way they're policing head to head hits and think that they should go back to reviewing these plays on film and just increase the punishment to include suspensions for hits that seem intentionally harmful. However, as long as the rules are what they are, the officials need to call them consistently. It's like that stupid "taunting" rule in the HS game a few weeks ago. That was not the fault of the official, that was the fault of a rule being over-reaching.

Edited by detlef

I've also got to say that I'm a bit puzzled that anyone has an opinion, one way or the other on the guy. As far as I'm concerned, he's the dude that comes on the screen every now and then and provides insight on calls. Kind of a nice feature, IMO.

Imagine putting a microphone on the dishwasher. There you have it.

Imagine putting a microphone on the dishwasher. There you have it.

How 'bout I imagine that I'm just watching him on TV? Because I've seen the segments where they go to him and I honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other on him in particular. He's just the dude who breaks down the calls. Which, if you ask me, is sort of a cool feature.

Whether or not you like the format or method of Pereira's message ... the message contains a whole lot of truth IMO. Most of the announcers have their jobs because of the knowledge of the game they have based on their playing and / or coaching experience - so for the most part they are solid on the x's and o's of the game. However, if they are going to also offer comment on the rules and/or officiating of the game they have a responsibility to understand those rules.

Personally I have no problem with how Pereira chose to address this issue ... officials already take a ton of heat when they make bad calls - it is inexcusable for announcers to add fuel to the fire in their ignorance when the officials are making the proper calls.

Whether or not you like the format or method of Pereira's message ... the message contains a whole lot of truth IMO. Most of the announcers have their jobs because of the knowledge of the game they have based on their playing and / or coaching experience - so for the most part they are solid on the x's and o's of the game. However, if they are going to also offer comment on the rules and/or officiating of the game they have a responsibility to understand those rules.

Personally I have no problem with how Pereira chose to address this issue ... officials already take a ton of heat when they make bad calls - it is inexcusable for announcers to add fuel to the fire in their ignorance when the officials are making the proper calls.

+1 Gruden is a turd.

I agree 100%. Well said.