[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoffs Are Shaping Up

Menudo

Unless some craziness happens in the BAL/CIN & SD/OAK games, the playoffs are all set, except for the NFC East Champ.

AFC

#1 Seed - New England Patriots vs. Bye

#2 Seed - Baltimore Ravens vs. Bye

#6 Seed Cincinnati Bengals

at

#3 Seed Houston Texans

#5 Seed Pittsburgh Steelers

at

#4 Seed Denver Broncos

NFC

#1 Seed - Green Bay Packers vs. Bye

#2 Seed - San Francisco 49'ers vs. Bye

#6 Seed - Detroit Lions

at

#3 Seed - New Orleans Saints

#5 Seed - Atlanta Falcons

at

#4 Seed - New York Giants or Dallas Cowboys

Let the fun begin............. :wacko:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O.k. Now, that the Steelers won, I'm going to get on my soapbox for something that I believe needs to change in regards to the NFL Playoffs.

Last year, there was no reason that the 11-4 Saints should have had to travel to play the 7-9 Seahawks in their house. This year, there is no reason that the 12-4 Steelers should be playing the 8-8 Broncos in Denver.

I know there are could-be scenarios that can allow an argument to keep it the same, but, I think the playoffs should be re-seeded once the teams are established. I think you should still make the playoffs in the same way as today, but, I do feel it should be re-seeded.

Thoughts ?

Even though the Colts had to travel to an 8-8 San Diego team in the playoffs after winning 12 games one season, I still think the division winners deserve a home playoff game.

Edited by CaptainHook

O.k. Now, that the Steelers won, I'm going to get on my soapbox for something that I believe needs to change in regards to the NFL Playoffs.

Last year, there was no reason that the 11-4 Saints should have had to travel to play the 7-9 Seahawks in their house. This year, there is no reason that the 12-4 Steelers should be playing the 8-8 Broncos in Denver.

I know there are could-be scenarios that can allow an argument to keep it the same, but, I think the playoffs should be re-seeded once the teams are established. I think you should still make the playoffs in the same way as today, but, I do feel it should be re-seeded.

Thoughts ?

So you would seed a wild card over a division winner?

Thoughts ?

i agree. on the bright side the steelers get to play the broncos though

Even though the Colts had to travel to an 8-8 San Diego team in the playoffs after winning 13 games one season, I still think the division winners deserve a home playoff game.

Fair enough, but, I disagree. Like I said, there will be scenarios in both directions, but, I think re-seeding would truly reward the better teams more times than not. The current system often doesn't do so. Why should winning the AFC West this year or the NFC West last year be deserving of more of a reward than getting to play in the playoffs ?

You can't play an even schedule in the NFL. The teams in your division all play the same schedule outside of two games. I feel if you beat out the other teams in your division who are all playing similar schedules you should get the homefield. If you ended up with a wild card, you couldn't beat out the teams that played basically the same schedule you did.

You can't play an even schedule in the NFL. The teams in your division all play the same schedule outside of two games. I feel if you beat out the other teams in your division who are all playing similar schedules you should get the homefield. If you ended up with a wild card, you couldn't beat out the teams that played basically the same schedule you did.

So, you think the 7-9 Seahawks were more worthy of the reward of homefield advantage last year than the 11-4 Saints ?

Do you think the 8-8 Broncos are more worthy of the reward of homefield advantage last year than the 12-4 Steelers ?

Sorry, I just don't see it. This honestly has nothing to do with the Steelers, though most won't believe that. I've felt that the system has been screwed up for some time. I know most don't like change, so, this won't be a popular opinion, but, I strongly believe that a re-seeding would reward the teams that deserve it most. A division title would still be the tie-breaker if the records were even, in my scenario.

Fair enough, but, I disagree. Like I said, there will be scenarios in both directions, but, I think re-seeding would truly reward the better teams more times than not. The current system often doesn't do so. Why should winning the AFC West this year or the NFC West last year be deserving of more of a reward than getting to play in the playoffs ?

What if the division truly is a tough division? And four teams just beat up on each other and none have a great record, while in another division filled with cupcakes, the winner breezes to a better record?

I just think winning your division should mean something.

Pointless bothering with divisions at all, then. Might as well have just two conferences, top six to qualify.

Nope, you can still win the division and make the playoffs in a scenario where you wouldn't have made it if they only selected the top 6. I've got no issues with how teams get in, I just want them re-seeded. It would rarely even change things, but, it would keep the Seattle/New Orleans and Pittsbugh/Denver situations from occurring.

What if the division truly is a tough division? And four teams just beat up on each other and none have a great record, while in another division filled with cupcakes, the winner breezes to a better record?

I just think winning your division should mean something.

If the division is truly elite, and the teams beat each other, than I would expect them to dominate when they played the other lesser divisions, so, their record would still reflect that, since only 6 of 16 games are against divisional foes.

FWIW the 8-8 Chargers defeated the 12-4 Colts. The 7-9 Seahawks defeated the Saints last year. The road team clearly wasn't "better".

The chance of an upset is much better when a team is unfairly rewarded with home field advantage. This is the NFL, and anyone can win on any given Sunday. Homefield is a big advantage, and in those two cases, the advantage was given to the undeserving team.

I recognize the inequity. I believe we all do. That said the division format has served the league well. If nothing else it allows arguements such as this to occur, and that spurs interest in the league.

Just because something works well doesn't mean it can't be made better. Willingness to change and improve is what makes the NFL great.

If the Steelers wanted a home playoff game . . . win your division.

I was wondering who would be the first one to go there. This has nothing to with the Steelers. They are just the example this year. It has happened to many teams, many times since the current format was introduced.

By the way, the Steelers were the first team to win 3 road games on their way to a Super Bowl win....one came against this team with a horseshoe on their helmet. :wacko:

If the Steelers were in the AFC West in place of the Broncos, what odds do you give them to win that division ? (Lets see how honest you are here)

Edited by Menudo

The chance of an upset is much better when a team is unfairly rewarded with home field advantage. This is the NFL, and anyone can win on any given Sunday. Homefield is a big advantage, and in those two cases, the advantage was given to the undeserving team.

Trust me, I understand what you are saying. I didn't think it was fair that the Colts had to go to SD that year. But, looking back, I do think the NFL has it right. Winning your division needs to mean something. I agree with the above, if you're going to do away with divisions getting a home playoff game, I don't see the point of having divisions at all.

Trust me, I understand what you are saying. I didn't think it was fair that the Colts had to go to SD that year. But, looking back, I do think the NFL has it right. Winning your division needs to mean something. I agree with the above, if you're going to do away with divisions getting a home playoff game, I don't see the point of having divisions at all.

I still like the divisions, and still feel you are rewarded for winning your division, even if it was weak that season. You would still make the playoffs, but, you wouldn't be rewarded an advantage over a team who was more deserving.

Edited by Menudo

So, you think the 7-9 Seahawks were more worthy of the reward of homefield advantage last year than the 11-4 Saints ?

Do you think the 8-8 Broncos are more worthy of the reward of homefield advantage last year than the 12-4 Steelers ?

Sorry, I just don't see it. This honestly has nothing to do with the Steelers, though most won't believe that. I've felt that the system has been screwed up for some time. I know most don't like change, so, this won't be a popular opinion, but, I strongly believe that a re-seeding would reward the teams that deserve it most. A division title would still be the tie-breaker if the records were even, in my scenario.

In those instances I do agree that the road team is more than likely the better team. But what about if the division winner is 10-6 and the wild card is 11-5. The wild card team could very well have a better record because the schedule their division played was much easier than the schedule the 10-6 divisision winner played. I just think the only way to compare records is based on the teams that played the most similar schedule.

Edited by heydave76