Ursa Majoris

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,326 posts
  • Interests:Football, music, politics
  • Fan of the:Bears

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

So, who's started their New Year Resolution to lose weight?

I spent the second quarter of the DAL - NYG game on the treadmill.  Bastard refs adding 10 seconds back on near the end of the quarter nearly killed me.

#2 bpwallace49

bpwallace49

Huddler All-Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,043 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

Started today. Ate healthy, gym is tomorrow morning

And my basketball league starts Thursday.

#3 SayItAintSoJoe

SayItAintSoJoe

Huddler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Fan of the:No Team Selected

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

Starting P90X today.

#4 whomper

whomper

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,988 posts
  • Interests:Bodyslamming the elderly
    selling human organs on the black market
    cuddling
  • Fan of the:Cowboys

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

Im back for real this time old school weight forum members. Welcome aboard to the new people visiting the forum .It is an awesome place to stay motivated. I am starting my diet tomorrow. I am off from work today so the wife and I are going out to eat and vegging at home. Tomorrow starts the exercise bike and healthy eating. I need to drop between 30-40 to be at my fighting weight :wacko: Good luck everybody :tup: Its good to be back

#5 twiley

twiley

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,729 posts
  • Fan of the:Rams

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

Welcome back guys.

#6 Ursa Majoris

Ursa Majoris

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,326 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

View Postwhomper, on 1/2/12 8:31am, said:

Im back for real this time old school weight forum members. Welcome aboard to the new people visiting the forum .It is an awesome place to stay motivated. I am starting my diet tomorrow. I am off from work today so the wife and I are going out to eat and vegging at home. Tomorrow starts the exercise bike and healthy eating. I need to drop between 30-40 to be at my fighting weight :wacko: Good luck everybody :tup: Its good to be back
I need to drop 50.  I expect to get 30 off by the time the NFL draft rolls around.  The last 20 will be much tougher.

#7 The Holy Roller

The Holy Roller

Huddler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,309 posts
  • Interests:My grandkids, all seven of them!
  • Fan of the:Cardinals

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostUrsa Majoris, on 1/2/12 11:25am, said:

I need to drop 50.  I expect to get 30 off by the time the NFL draft rolls around.  The last 20 will be much tougher.

This is me. I'm at 246 (the biggest I've ever been) but would like to get under 200 (where I spent most of my adult life). This is my first time looking in this forum. (I was afraid I'd see photos). Good luck to you us all.

#8 twiley

twiley

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,729 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Curious - what are you guys doing to shed the weight?

Ton of great nutrition advice buried in these threads.

#9 The Holy Roller

The Holy Roller

Huddler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,309 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

View Posttwiley, on 1/2/12 2:43pm, said:

For diet I'm doing a type of Atkins and for exercise I'm riding my exercise bike 20 minutes every morning before school. Along with all the other work that goes into living in the country (cutting wood, building fence, etc). The wife gets the yoga ball out and tries to get me to do your rountine with her but that always leads to  :wacko: .

#10 Chief Dick

Chief Dick

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Just ran my first run in about a year. Went about 1 mile in 17 minutes.  The goal is to run every 2 days.

Edited by Chief Dick, 10 January 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#11 Ursa Majoris

Ursa Majoris

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,326 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

View Posttwiley, on 1/2/12 2:43pm, said:

I'm simply going to ensure that calories in < calories out by cutting down intake to sensible portions and exercising daily, sufficient to build up a good sweat.  

I lose weight easily (at first) and I already eat reasonably (no fast food, little or no fried, no desserts except low fat ice cream once a week, plenty of bran, whole foods, raw carrots, etc) and I consider food a major reason for living in the first place, so I don't want to start behaving too much like a rabbit.  Well, not as far as food goes, anyway.

Edited by Ursa Majoris, 02 January 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#12 bushwacked

bushwacked

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,790 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

Just got done with chest and back.....Day 1 of P90X in the books.

#13 Ursa Majoris

Ursa Majoris

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,326 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

View PostThe Holy Roller, on 1/2/12 1:52pm, said:

This is me. I'm at 246 (the biggest I've ever been) but would like to get under 200 (where I spent most of my adult life). This is my first time looking in this forum. (I was afraid I'd see photos). Good luck to you us all.
I'm starting at 275.  I'd like to reach 225 but 235 might be more realistic.  Either way, I'll feel a chitload better.

The clever trick is keeping the weight off once you've achieved it.

#14 twiley

twiley

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,729 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

View PostUrsa Majoris, on 1/2/12 9:58pm, said:

I'm simply going to ensure that calories in < calories out by cutting down intake to sensible portions and exercising daily, sufficient to build up a good sweat.

Best way to go.

Balanced diet with exercise.

#15 Clubfoothead

Clubfoothead

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,852 posts
  • Interests:Day to Day

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

Awesome to see everyone.

Goals for this year: 21 minute 5k; quit smoking; add 20 pounds to bench press; eat healthier; and 4-5 5k runs (set a goal of 3-4 last year and did 3).

I am also going to try one of them rock climbing gyms - I got a gift certificate for a day pass at one.  If the heat is going to be brutally oppressive again this summer, I will probably do a round of P90X from June - August.  Also doing the zip lines this spring.  

I wish everyone the best of success.  My first 5k of 2012 is February 25, 2012.  I'm going to try an run it in 26 minutes.  Based on my first training run of the year however, I may drop that to 25 minutes - it appears 23 days in a row without a cigarette is noticeable on the stop watch.  

I'm no expert but I like to pass along what has and has not worked for me.  I got some New Balance 890's for Christmas and some Knuckle Lights.  I'll be trying both out this week and letting you know my thoughts on the products.  A perfect less than month old example - I still say Jay Robb Tropical Dreamsickle supplements are the best tasting.  What was great for me to learn was that Jay Robb protein supplements would meet Big Country's standards.  Everyone probably has their own favorite flavor/brand but it was reassuring to know it scored very high in things BC is looking for in a supplement.

:wacko:

I'm excited for another great year in a great forum.

#16 The Holy Roller

The Holy Roller

Huddler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,309 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

After reading around this forum a bit I am very IMPRESSED!  Big Country is THE MAN and I am looking forward to learning more.  All you runners out there are terrific. My hat is off to you all.  :wacko:

Edited by The Holy Roller, 04 January 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#17 Big Country

Big Country

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,618 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostThe Holy Roller, on 1/3/12 12:21pm, said:

After reading around this forum a bit I am very IMPRESSED!  Big Country is THE MAN and I am looking forward to learning more.  All you runners out there are terrific. When hat is off to you all.  :wacko:

I can't take credit, much of the pinned posts were copied from other sources.

I've certainly yo-yoed and right now am at a place where I have been in the gym consistently for the last 9 months (stalled at end of 2010/early 2011 with injury and birth of my son). Once I got back in the gym, I dropped about 20 of the 35-40 pounds I had ballooned back in those 6 months I was not working out regularly. Now my workouts are consistent as I have a good group that i work with in the mornings - group of 5 of us that are pretty tight knit plus the other early morning regulars, so there is definitely a lot of peer pressure to not miss days. My lifts have gone up considerably, I feel in much better shape, but the weight has not been coming off after that initial weight loss.

I know a large part of that is due to plantat fasciitis/bone spur in my right foot which is severely limiting the amount of cardio I can do (to give an example, on Sunday I did a workout with some light sprints (literally maybe 4-5 times up a basketball court at 50-75% effort) and some jumping jacks, plus did maybe 10 minutes on a treadmill (first time on a treadmill in 2 months, been doing elliptical and rower for cardio, throwing in bear complexes at least one day a week because I guess I like pain) and even today I am limping around due to it. Wife has finally convinced me to go to the doctor for a more thorough examination as self treating (admittedly not regularly enough) with ice and massaging the area is not working.

For added motivation, my wife and I have registered for the Camp Pendleton 10K Mud Run on June 9th.

So, all that said, diet is back in check post holiday, I'm sticking with a solid lifting routine for the next 10 weeks, then I go to england/Ireland for 10 days and when I get back plan is to adjust the training to a more cardio/athletic functional training routine (google Velocity Sports Perfromance for an idea of what I am talking about, did a workout similar to what they do on Sunday that kicked my arse, but alas also caused the foot to flare up). Of course, this all assumes I am able to get the foot to a place where I can consistently put weight on it and run without causing further damage.

Right now I am sitting in the 270 - 275 range. Carry it relatively well, and am almost down waistwise to where I was, if not a little smaller, than when I had gotten down to 250 in late 2010. I think that if I keep adding strength like I have been, can get the foot healed properly and thus increase cardio, I can realistically be in that 245-250 range at the time of the mud run.

Anyway, stick to it everyone..... herd mentality, peer pressure, get friends to do things with you and hold you accountable, get a spouse to offer you deviant favors for hitting weight loss milestones, whatever it is that will motivate you to keep at it, do it.

#18 whomper

whomper

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,988 posts
    cuddling

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

I started today officially. Had 3 balanced meals and did the exercise bike for 30 minutes . Im about 6' 3" 280 right now :tup: Im looking to get in the 240's. The first 10 will go fast. The next 10 a little tougher. Final 20 is the grind :wacko:

#19 bushwacked

bushwacked

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,790 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

View Postwhomper, on 1/3/12 6:40pm, said:

I started today officially. Had 3 balanced meals and did the exercise bike for 30 minutes . Im about 6' 3" 280 right now :tup: Im looking to get in the 240's. The first 10 will go fast. The next 10 a little tougher. Final 20 is the grind :wacko:
Whomp...I'm curious...with all the success last time on P90X, why the exercise bike?

#20 whomper

whomper

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,988 posts
    cuddling

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

View Postbushwacked, on 1/3/12 9:47pm, said:

Whomp...I'm curious...with all the success last time on P90X, why the exercise bike?

Because my nuts have a tangled web of veins in them that need to be fixed and any jostling of said nuts causes pain  :wacko:

#21 bushwacked

bushwacked

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,790 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

View Postwhomper, on 1/3/12 7:15pm, said:

Because my nuts have a tangled web of veins in them that need to be fixed and any jostling of said nuts causes pain  :wacko:

Ahhh.....kudos for getting back on it.

#22 Ursa Majoris

Ursa Majoris

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,326 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

View Postwhomper, on 1/3/12 9:15pm, said:

Because my nuts have a tangled web of veins in them that need to be fixed and any jostling of said nuts causes pain  :tup:
And riding an exercise bike is just the ticket for tangled nuts?   :wacko:

#23 Ursa Majoris

Ursa Majoris

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,326 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

View Postwhomper, on 1/3/12 8:40pm, said:

Im about 6' 3" 280 right now
I'm 6' 3 1/2" and started at 275 so we are pretty much setting out from identical situations.

FWIW, I've been power walking on the treadmill for between 30 and 40 minutes each day so far.  Dropped a pound yesterday.  Visited a local gym this evening to scope it out and will join next week after I get the muscles working and also get me some gym gear that doesn't make me look like I fell out of a charity bag.

Being back to the sensible eating is helping already, I think.

#24 bpwallace49

bpwallace49

Huddler All-Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,043 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

View Postwhomper, on 1/3/12 8:40pm, said:

I started today officially. Had 3 balanced meals and did the exercise bike for 30 minutes . Im about 6' 3" 280 right now :lol: Im looking to get in the 240's. The first 10 will go fast. The next 10 a little tougher. Final 20 is the grind :wacko:

No way in hell you are 280. :tup:  when we met last year I was 240, and we are the same height

#25 whomper

whomper

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,988 posts
    cuddling

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostUrsa Majoris, on 1/3/12 11:41pm, said:

And riding an exercise bike is just the ticket for tangled nuts?   :tup:

I dont feel any pain when I am not bouncing or jumping. p90x is awesome and I loved it but there is a lot of jumping and the nuggets just physically couldnt handle it right now. I tried a jock last year and it helped but it still was uncomfortable . I had an appt with the DR and will have a follow up real soon. I would have had the surgery already but it will put me out of comission as far as any strenous activity for 6 weeks and right now I am needed to help with my dad.

The stationary bike doesnt bother my ailment. They just rest on the seat :lol:

View Postbpwallace49, on 1/3/12 11:54pm, said:

No way in hell you are 280. :wacko:  when we met last year I was 240, and we are the same height

We met in November of 2010 and I was probably about 240-250 then as I was regularly exercising. The last 6 months of 2012 I had horrific eating habits and no exercise so I put on about 30. You can tell I need to lose weight but with my height I carry it ok but it really has to go . eating crappy food and not working out has my energy level down low too. I feel my mind is right now though. I love starting at the beginning of the year, for some reason that fresh new year  start gives me a mental edge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users