[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys

Scooby's Hubby

Random shots as the season has just ended

The Cowboys positives ...

1. We have found a feature back that is tactful & explosive, the closest thing to Emmitt Smith we will ever get.

- Romo has his best games with Murray in the line up. Oh what a difference he makes for Romo and the O-Line

2. Our receivers are young and talented enough to be top 5 in the NFL.

3. Romo is getting hungrier.

- Romo is fragile (I blame the O-Line here) but can play through injury and is tough enough.

4. The coaches will be hungrier

- From game mis-management to play calling, Garrett and Ryan have an entire off season to learn of his mistakes and regrets. Time is cruscial for them to install their schemes and situations. We did not have that luxury this past year, hard for a young and new to the franchise staff.

What the Cowboys need to fix ...top priorities

1. Get a handle on the O-Line, especially at Center

- We made a good 1st round selection and are not far away from having an above average O-Line

2. Get the defensive scheme and situational training installed into the minds of our players. We cannot have confusion while the play clock is rolling.

3. Find us some defensive backs - enough said

In addition to that list, I think it is critical for them to find a way to rush the passer without the blitz. Spencer is not the answer. He had a decent season but he is not consistent and can be handled 1 on 1 by an o-lineman. They need someone other than Ware that can come of the edge. The double and triple teams on Ware took it's toll on his body and performance late in the season.

The secondary is a joke. Newman can no longer cover and he certainly can't tackle. Jenkins can't stay healthy and, yeah, he gets burned a lot too.

The Cowboys can do a lot worse at QB than Romo. He had a pretty good season but still had some blowups (Jets and Lions). He can no longer rest on the "well this is only his x year as a starter". It's long enough. He just has to be consistent over the full season. I think that goes for the whole team. Coaches included.

Did I mention none of this means squat as long as Knute Lombardi Jones is leading the way?

Edited by TripleW64

Murray is the key at least to the offense. Health has got to be the one concern of ever Cowboy fan. If he's able to come back and stay healthy watch out this offense will be a force. I'm not completely sold on Romo but he's much better then just a game manager forsure. There just seems to be this invisible hump he simply can't get over. He's a fighter but he's also to fragile for my liking. Maybe an upgrade in o-line is needed. Get ride of Brookings grab two corners leave the rest of the D alone.

The quicker Jerry Jones realizes he needs to hire a GM, the better off the Cowboy's will be.

That is never going to happen. Jerry is so delusional that he thinks "adding a general manager to the payroll would clutter the decision-making process, not improve it....More often than not, if a team wins one playoff game in 15 years, there’s turnover at the GM spot. The Cowboys are an exception in a lot of ways."

From http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/pos...-give-up-gm-gig

Edited by IanCurtis

It really wouldn't matter if Jones hired a GM. That person would just have a title and a paycheck. All decisions would still come from Jones. His ego would never allow for anyone to have an outside chance of being the reason for their success. He would rather have an adequate football team that he designed than have another person get credit for constructing a Super Bowl team on his watch.

Random shots as the season has just ended

The Cowboys positives ...

1. We have found a feature back that is tactful & explosive, the closest thing to Emmitt Smith we will ever get.

Good god. seriously? He had a few good games, mostly against the worst running defenses in the league, and a couple other ok games.

The Cowboys needs list as I see it:

Another linemen that offensive lines have to scheme around. Spencer can be handled by TE's that not acceptable for a dominate DE. They need to be in the mold of the Giants sad to say if Ryan insists on leaving Corners in man coverage.

We need some nasty on D. We don't have that. As many sacks as Ware has there aren't near enough hurt QB's. Think about it. Ware hits the QB to many times for them to keep getting up. They don't fear him they just know he will lay them down softly and collect his sack. Nothing wrong with that but I see him not hitting hard enough get inside their heads as well as backs and recievers.

Linebackers. Lee is a great start. He is so smart and dedicated student of the game. He will be the QB of the D but he isn't quite big and fast enough to plug the gaps in the running game. Although he did a great job standing up Jacobs on that third down. Hopefully Carter wil bring another demention to the D but both or coverage backers. We need an Urlacher mold. I know they don't come around often but non the less we need a run stuffer roaming the middle.

We NEED to get rid of Newman. He doesn't have the ball skills to be a Safety and doesn't range well. We need an agressive big corner to complement Jenkins. Jenkins can hold his own but health is a concern. Scandrick I just don't know about. He just seems to be a step behind ALL THE TIME and sees the play happen in front of him instead of being in on it.

I just don't know what to do about our Safeties. They seem to be either out of positon all the time or always trying to make up for the Corners mistakes. Can't figure out if they are to soft or just victims of bad corner play.

D line is coming around but a we need another Tackle.

The Offense is ready for big things. All they need is to give Romo time. If these kids can get stronger in the offseason with the SCC they will be a force to recon with. Smith was superb in his first year but Free had some issues. Smith can play the left and that may make a big difference as Free played well on the right.

Romo is on the short side for QB and if you watch Brees he has to find throwing lanes as does Romo. Pressure up the middle hurts Romo and Brees but outside pressure can be delt with. Romo with his full complement of recievers and Dez with a full offeseason will be ready to break records.

Murray is the real deal and we need a thumper back to complement him and take some of the short yardage pounding off of him.

The offense is the least of my concerns as if we had a D that could hold up and hold teams to under 20 points a game we win a lot of games next year. The D just must be able to bring pressure from both sides and up the middle at times.

I am very encouraged by the way we played in a lot of games this year and disappointed a lot also. The D was the biggest concern and cost us too many games. To know we have a full draft to fill in on defense and let Rob have a full offseason to break down his roster and install his scheme, I feel pretty good going into next year.

I think what happened on D was Ryan thought he had the skill players to fit his scheme. Since he didn't have an offseason to discover his players strengths and adjust he found out to late he didn't have the personel. I think he counted on Ware and Spencer to be beasts, while ratliff to be dominant. What he didn't know was that Newman's skills have fallen off badly and Jenkins going down forced Ball and Walker to fill in and just couldn't. He just couldn't fit his scheme to players that didn't have the skill to pull it off. And it was too late to change since he had no offseason to discover this.

Rob is a really good coordinator and Jerry will give him what he needs HOPEFULLY to make his scheme work. But we need some nasty to make his system go.

We'll see but if we can stay healthy we should be improved next year and two or three games gets us to the dance.

I am not convinced that Romo is more than just an undrafted project of Bill Parcells who has risen to his highest level already. I do not think that the coaches trust him yet by virtue of late game playcalling and if they do not trust him 100% by now then he should not be there.

Cowboys have not had even an average secondary since the 90's. That has always been their defensive downfall.

They always cave in December. IMO that is about leadership - both at QB and coaching.

And don't forget the biggest positive of all: Droves of the most delusional fans in the country. Too bad their high hopes and unfounded confidence isn't like the "Christmas spirit" that drives Santa's sleigh in Elf. :wacko:

But hey, Jerry Jones has won three Super Bowls! :tup: