[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is most deserving of the 2011 NFL MVP?

MTSuper7

2011 NFL MVP  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who most deserves the 2011 NFL MVP award?

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Drew Brees
    • Tim Tebow
    • Puddy
    • Other

I'm assuming there isn't anyone else in the conversation, but enlighten me if there is... It seems like everyone assumes that Rodgers was the runaway MVP after the 13-0 start and Brees' one major blemish in losing on the road to the Rams. But then the Packers lost at Kansas City. And what really got me thinking about this is the day that Matt Flynn just had. I mean, it kinda makes you wonder if Green Bay might hardly miss a beat if they had to go with Flynn for some reason. That's not to say that Chase Daniel might not also do well if called upon, but having Matt Flynn just break all kinds of club records just inserts a little something into the mindset of how vital Rodgers is to the Packers' success.

Then there are the measurable statistics... Brees led the league in passing touchdowns (Rodgers probably would have led the league, actually would have broken Brady's TD record if he was in there throwing 6 TDs yesterday... but he didn't play, so don't we go with the stats as they actually exist)? Brees also led the league in yardage, shattering Marino's record by nearly 400 yards. And he did it with a ridiculous 71.2% completion percentage (almost 3% better than Rodgers, who probably would have been at or above 70% if Jermichael Finley knew how to catch).

In fact, Brees set all of the following NFL records this season:

Completion percentage - 71.3% (beating his own mark from 2009 by nearly an entire percentage point)

Completions - 468 (old record was P. Manning @ 450)

Team offensive yards - 7,474 (not a personal record, but important to the conversation)

Passing yards - 5,476

Rodgers has the best record in the league this year @ 15-1 (though he only won 14 of the games), and he was on pace to beat Brady's record of 50 TD passes. He also only threw 6 INTs to Brees' 14 INTs. And Rodgers set the NFL record for passer rating this season with an unreal 122.5, besting Peyton Manning's previous record of 121.1 set in his career year of 2004. Quarterback rating is largely considered the most important measuring stick to a quarterback's effectiveness, and Brees' mark of 110.6 is almost 12 points behind Rodgers.

A lot to consider here, and really two outstanding seasons to pick from, so it's hard to really be wrong. What say you?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brees got to throw against the Packer's defense, Rodgers did not.

\I will not vote. My homer vote would just indicate that I am a homer. I do note that the poll is skewed somewhat by not stating Rodgers affirmative case as strongly as Brees', and by making a negative case against only Rodgers.

Both are worthy picks.

Brees all the way

I was thinking co-MVP until I saw what Flynn did against a decent defense.

Flynn had a better game in one start than Rogers did in ANY of his 15 starts.

Rogers is very good but there is no way after seeing Flynn play that you can't think it's the system

Brees all the way

I was thinking co-MVP until I saw what Flynn did against a decent defense.

Flynn had a better game in one start than Rogers did in ANY of his 15 starts.

Rogers is very good but there is no way after seeing Flynn play that you can't think it's the system

Doesn't mean any old QB can work it. Flynn is just a really good QB is all, much as Rodgers was while Favre was at the helm.

I still prefer a split between Rodgers and Brees.

I was Rodgers most of the year, then started to move towards Brees and, like others have mentioned, sort of went with Brees once I saw Flynn tear it up this weekend. After all, they do make a big deal about saying what that player's importance to the team is, not just who is the best player. And, apparently, GB doesn't skip a beat when they go to their 2nd string QB. That's not a knock on Rodgers, but it does diminish his value to the team a bit.

I'm still having a hell of a time digesting that performance. On a Packers team that had both Brett Favre and Rodgers. Hell, the Majik man liked to chuck it around some as well. To think that none of those guys now holds the team record for yards or TDs in a game is just silly.

I was Rodgers most of the year, then started to move towards Brees and, like others have mentioned, sort of went with Brees once I saw Flynn tear it up this weekend. After all, they do make a big deal about saying what that player's importance to the team is, not just who is the best player. And, apparently, GB doesn't skip a beat when they go to their 2nd string QB. That's not a knock on Rodgers, but it does diminish his value to the team a bit.

I'm still having a hell of a time digesting that performance. On a Packers team that had both Brett Favre and Rodgers. Hell, the Majik man liked to chuck it around some as well. To think that none of those guys now holds the team record for yards or TDs in a game is just silly.

yeah, but Rodgers was calling all the plays in the first half. "It's the system" is a very weak argument at best. If it was so easy everyone would be doing it and performing it like Rodgers. By that theory, Brees AND Brady are also replaceable - which mutes any chance Brees has at MVP as well.

I beg of everyone here. I beg you not to say that Rodgers might just be a product of the system because of the game that Flynn had yesterday. Rodgers is a lethal elite qb .

yeah, but Rodgers was calling all the plays in the first half. "It's the system" is a very weak argument at best. If it was so easy everyone would be doing it and performing it like Rodgers. By that theory, Brees AND Brady are also replaceable - which mutes any chance Brees has at MVP as well.

Anyone did do it "Flyyn" and out performed rodgers. It's obvious the packers have a better team then the saints. Which is why Brees is more valuable. What were the saints before Brees? Before Rodgers this packers team was in the NFC championship with Favre.

Looks to me like it's Team record (Rodgers and 13-0) versus NFL Records (Brees).

Who votes on MVP? Sportswriters? Then I'd guess they'd go Brees. Players, coaches, etc? Probably Rodgers.

I beg of everyone here. I beg you not to say that Rodgers might just be a product of the system because of the game that Flynn had yesterday. Rodgers is a lethal elite qb .

agreed 100%

Anyone did do it "Flyyn" and out performed rodgers. It's obvious the packers have a better team then the saints. Which is why Brees is more valuable. What were the saints before Brees? Before Rodgers this packers team was in the NFC championship with Favre.

its obvious that packers have a better team than the Saints? Really? Hmmm...

what the Saints and Packers were when Favre was still there has no bearing on this year's MVP

its obvious that packers have a better team than the Saints? Really? Hmmm...

No kidding - NO has a better running game AND a better defense.

That said, I obviously lean towards Rodgers, but it'd be tough to dispute Brees getting the MVP. He's had a helluva year. So has Brady, for that matter.