[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is most deserving of the 2011 NFL MVP?

MTSuper7

2011 NFL MVP  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who most deserves the 2011 NFL MVP award?

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Drew Brees
    • Tim Tebow
    • Puddy
    • Other

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree both are phenominal QBs. However, Rodgers gets the nod because the TRUE representation of a QB is the QB rating itself. Rodgers was a full 12.5 points higher than Brees. In fact, he got smoked.

Rodgers EASILY would have broken Brady's record of TD's had he played the last game and gone over 5K yards himself. Also, two other players this year went over 5K (with one other breaking the record too) and two ALMOST did, so breaking Marino's record loses a little bit of it's luster because he didn't leave the competition in the dust.

I got this on another forum, but I think it's worth showing:

And as a GB homer I also say that on top of all that, Brees and Payton were CLEARLY stat padding in the final games. In fact, Brees could have sat on Sunday but curiously he didn't. I think that won't sit well with the voters, IMO.

1st Brees broke the record, no one else broke the record, Brees and that is it....Brady would have, but he didn't because it wasn't a record any longer...sorry that just rubs me a bit wrong is all...and as for not leaving them in the dust...241 yards(Brady)/438 yards (Stafford) is leaving them in the dust, at least imo it is.

2nd You can't assume that Rodgers would have gone over 5k or broke the TD record when his average yards/game was 309.53 and he would have needed 357...just because Flynn thew for 480 doesn't mean Rodgers would have...when he faced Det earlier this year he threw for 307....TD wise he averaged 3/game...just because Flynn threw 6 TDs doesn't mean Rodgers would have...when he faced Det earlier this year he threw just 2....and to make it worse you say EASILY...nothing is easy in the NFL, I don't care how good you are.

I think Sproles has helped Brees more than people think. Those dinks and dunks to Bush a year ago now go to Sproles with much better results.

Remember when Reggie Bush was going to be the next Barry Sanders and the Texans were fools not to draft him?

Good times, good times.

:lol: I used 9.2 as yards/completion :rofl:

:tup:

Twisting the numbers to bolster your case, eh? I think I'll just call you "Sarge" from here on out... :wacko:

Edited by Chavez

Value to team. Clearly Rodgers has none as his backup is better than him, ergo it's Brees.

QED.

Basically it boils down to if you think that Rodgers is a "system" QB and GB can just plug-and-play any old guy....well, you'd better be voting Mike McCarthy coach of the year in perpetuity.

1st Brees broke the record, no one else broke the record, Brees and that is it....Brady would have, but he didn't because it wasn't a record any longer...sorry that just rubs me a bit wrong is all...and as for not leaving them in the dust...241 yards(Brady)/438 yards (Stafford) is leaving them in the dust, at least imo it is.

2nd You can't assume that Rodgers would have gone over 5k or broke the TD record when his average yards/game was 309.53 and he would have needed 357...just because Flynn thew for 480 doesn't mean Rodgers would have...when he faced Det earlier this year he threw for 307....TD wise he averaged 3/game...just because Flynn threw 6 TDs doesn't mean Rodgers would have...when he faced Det earlier this year he threw just 2....and to make it worse you say EASILY...nothing is easy in the NFL, I don't care how good you are.

Ok, that is just crazy talk. I cannot believe how many people look at that performance by Flynn and make it sounds like Rodgers couldn't or wouldn't have done it. And that is enough reason to discount the overall stats of Rodgers through the first 15 games.

I think either candidate (Brees or Rodgers) is deserving, a co-MVP would be fine. But if I have to pick one, I look at the overal QB, not just total yards. About the only thing that Brees has over Rodgers is completion percentage. His higher numbers in yards is because he threw it so many more times.

Name yds/att yds/comp rating TD-INT rushing

Rodgers 9.25 13.53 122.5 45-5 257 yds 3TD

Brees 9.33 11.70 110.6 46-14 86 yds 1TD

more complete passing stats from NFL.com sorted by rating

Basically it boils down to if you think that Rodgers is a "system" QB and GB can just plug-and-play any old guy....well, you'd better be voting Mike McCarthy coach of the year in perpetuity.

Why do you guys assume that any of us who point out that Flynn has shown that GB could very well be in very good hands were Rodgers get injured are saying that Rodgers is merely a product of the system and that any old hack could do well in that offense?

Rodgers is amazing and it would absolutely not be a crime were he to win the MVP. In fact, this whole Flynn deal is just an "oh by the way" sort of thing because both Rodgers and Brees have put up amazing numbers this year.

You guys make it sound like we're saying Flynn's game totally invalidates his claim for MVP and nothing could be further from the truth. At least for me. I just think that, considering that they make a big deal out of explaining that it's not just the best player but the guy who is most needed by his team, you can't ignore the fact that they hardly skipped a beat with the back-up playing against a play-off team. At least in a race this close.

Edited by detlef

My understanding of the MVP Award is it goes to the performer that influences thier team's sucess the most. Brees and Rogers are both having great years and are deserving. The question is: if both were to be removed from their teams, what would the effect be. Take Peyton Manning. He is injured and suddenly, the Colts are terrible. With that being said, I would give Brees the nod. Flynn is not as good as Rogers but can function with the weapons at his disposal.

Ok, that is just crazy talk. I cannot believe how many people look at that performance by Flynn and make it sounds like Rodgers couldn't or wouldn't have done it. And that is enough reason to discount the overall stats of Rodgers through the first 15 games.

I think either candidate (Brees or Rodgers) is deserving, a co-MVP would be fine. But if I have to pick one, I look at the overal QB, not just total yards. About the only thing that Brees has over Rodgers is completion percentage. His higher numbers in yards is because he threw it so many more times.

Name yds/att yds/comp rating TD-INT rushing

Rodgers 9.25 13.53 122.5 45-5 257 yds 3TD

Brees 9.33 11.70 110.6 46-14 86 yds 1TD

more complete passing stats from NFL.com sorted by rating

It isn't crazy, could Rodgers have passed for 357+? Yes he could have. Is it a guarantee that he would have? No, and it has nothing to do with Flynn...all that I was pointing out was that just because Flynn/or any other QB did something doesn't mean another will...and there was a bit of previous history to suggest that hitting 357 might be difficult to do. :wacko: I am in no way disparaging Rodgers or what he did, but if a player (Rodgers or other) doesn't play in a game, there is no way to know exactly what they would have done had they played. ..Heck if Jared Allen had 22.5 sacks thru 15 games, and then sat out week 17, and Brian Robison and his replacement combine for 4 sacks that doesn't mean you can say that had Allen played he would have definitely broken the sack record.

Edited by keggerz

The argument "If rodgers had thrown as many times as brees he would have gianed more yards" IS AWFUL. The fact he didn't need to throw as many times is an argument for why he is not as valuable to his team as BRees. The only reason Aaron has a shot at MVP is because he won the super bowl last year. All of his stats are worse. QB rating isn't a stat! And as far as picks go its not even rly that big of a stat either way.

Aaron had 4 more fumbles then brees!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Edited by CrimsonGhost

There is asterisks to be made about these stats. Brees and the Saints were open about going for the record and clearly passed more in the past few games. That doesn't take Brees out of the race by any means, but the stats mean more for Aaron Rodgers because they ran their regular gameplan and didn't even play him the last week to pad his stats. That was something the Saints clearly felt they had to do for Brees to get the MVP, whether they admit it or not.

I personally think about these 2 MVP candidates in terms of overall success, and I think Rodgers takes it. He has less than half the interceptions and some of the things he was doing have been unprecedented. Watching him master his offense has been beyond impressive. For Brees, I hate to say it's "business as usual." He's damn good. But Rodgers has been untouchable and 15-1.

My understanding of the MVP Award is it goes to the performer that influences thier team's sucess the most. Brees and Rogers are both having great years and are deserving. The question is: if both were to be removed from their teams, what would the effect be. Take Peyton Manning. He is injured and suddenly, the Colts are terrible. With that being said, I would give Brees the nod. Flynn is not as good as Rogers but can function with the weapons at his disposal.

Hit it on the head. To many people here just Suck on Rodgers D because they don't watch enough football or have enough understanding what the MVP award even is. This includes the voters themselves. Will be awesome when the packers get eliminated from the playoffs! I hate living in Wisconsin every Butt packer fan has no clue whats even going on in the NFL outside the butt packers.

There is asterisks to be made about these stats. Brees and the Saints were open about going for the record and clearly passed more in the past few games. That doesn't take Brees out of the race by any means, but the stats mean more for Aaron Rodgers because they ran their regular gameplan and didn't even play him the last week to pad his stats. That was something the Saints clearly felt they had to do for Brees to get the MVP, whether they admit it or not.

I personally think about these 2 MVP candidates in terms of overall success, and I think Rodgers takes it. He has less than half the interceptions and some of the things he was doing have been unprecedented. Watching him master his offense has been beyond impressive. For Brees, I hate to say it's "business as usual." He's damn good. But Rodgers has been untouchable and 15-1.

LOL they ran their regular game plan. The packers were throwing on 1st and goal from the 3. They ran up the score on the bears so your point is SHUT down. rodgers 15-1???? Dude was 14-1. Watch football much?

Edited by CrimsonGhost

Brees threw the ball 10% FEWER times/game in the final three games then he did in the first 13 games. FWIW, that is based on fact not an assumption either.

EDIT: and all three of the final games were under the 1st 13 games average.

Edited by keggerz

I agree both are phenominal QBs. However, Rodgers gets the nod because the TRUE representation of a QB is the QB rating itself. Rodgers was a full 12.5 points higher than Brees. In fact, he got smoked.

Rodgers EASILY would have broken Brady's record of TD's had he played the last game and gone over 5K yards himself. Also, two other players this year went over 5K (with one other breaking the record too) and two ALMOST did, so breaking Marino's record loses a little bit of it's luster because he didn't leave the competition in the dust.

I got this on another forum, but I think it's worth showing:

And as a GB homer I also say that on top of all that, Brees and Payton were CLEARLY stat padding in the final games. In fact, Brees could have sat on Sunday but curiously he didn't. I think that won't sit well with the voters, IMO.

AROD had 4 fumbles to brees none. Bring up picks and ill bring up fumbles!

Do you realize how flawed of logic it is to measure one guys' value and contribution to the team by how good his backup is?

While you're correct that the MVP should measure the player who made the biggest difference on his team, you have to treat as if they both have Flynn as a backup or they both have Daniels as a backup, and go from there.... You absolutely can't penalize a guy just because his backup is good, that's silly... You can of course measure how good their supporting casts were, because that makes a difference in how much help they got and how much they helped, but the comparison to a backup who does not play snaps when they're healthy is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with each player's value to their team, only the value of the backup should they get hurt.

Again, if you want to argue that Sproles made a bigger difference to Brees success, or that having Nelson and Jennings made Rodgers less deserving, both those would be valid points, but the argument you're making is that it makes Manning less valuable next year if Luck sits behind him than with Painter sitting behind him this year. How can a guy who has no bearing on their performance affect their value?

LOL they ran their regular game plan. The packers were throwing on 1st and goal from the 3. They ran up the score on the bears so your point is SHUT down. rodgers 15-1???? Dude was 14-1. Watch football much?

Maybe YOU didn't watch much of the Packer games, but throwing it in those situations IS their gameplan. You're right 14-1, my mistake, still seems better than 13-3.

Brees threw the ball 10% FEWER times/game in the final three games then he did in the first 13 games. FWIW, that is based on fact not an assumption either.

EDIT: and all three of the final games were under the 1st 13 games average.

That's a good stat, thx. For me, it still doesn't change anything though. Both QB's are amazing. But I believe Rodgers will be MVP.