[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Polians out in Indy

Lloyd Dobler

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because you've tied up a lot of resources in two players. If the team traded 1.01, then they could get enough good players to help Peyton.
You will not get enough players IMO to necessarily make enough diff in this team as there are too many holes (thank you Polian you overrated toad). And even if so, you are trying to squeeze out one more (unlikely) SB win out of Manning in just a few short years. With Luck, granted you don't know what will happen, but you are possibly setting yourself up for SB runs for years and years to come. They trade this pick away and it will be stupid on a massive scale. And you simply don't dump Manning. He's too good, he's still capable (IMO) of top-level play, he's done too much for this team. Edited by BeeR

I don't think the Colts are going to have any idea if Manning will be able to play at a high level in March.

Irsay has over three months to sit down with Peyton and discuss matters. He could pay Peyton off and keep him as QB coach.

All I was trying to point out is that it's a mistake to invest so much in one position for both Peyton and Luck. I think they should release Peyton and draft Luck, but that's not the point.

How much would Luck -and- Peyton cost? About 40% of the allowed team salary? That's too much.

Not to mention, the organization is rebuilding from top to bottom. Time to get rid of Manning, (trade if possible) and rebuild with Luck.

If they wait to let go of him they get nothing or very little for him plus his effect on their cap. Don't get me wrong I think they keep Manning and Draft Luck. Maybe they restructure his contract ?

While I think that would be great, I'm not so sure Peyton is gonna be willing to take less money and train his replacement.

Not to mention, the organization is rebuilding from top to bottom. Time to get rid of Manning, (trade if possible) and rebuild with Luck.

:wacko: Can't trade Manning. His contract makes it impossible with the salary cap. They have to let him walk.

I'm not sure of the cap implications, but the team has to pay him $28mil before trading him. That means that his salary for the next team is only $8mil. If Irsay was willing to trade cash for draft picks, he could easily get a 1st and a conditional 1st next year from any QB needy team, regardless of their cash situation cuz he'd only cost the new team $8mil. That opens up the trade market if Irsay has the cash.

No, because after the trade, the Colts would have to take the cap hit for the $28 million on next years cap. Impossible.

good point. as I said, I wasn't aware of all the cap implications.

that said, do you think the team should pay $36mil -and-whatever Luck's salary for this one upcoming season? That's gotta be $45mil in one position. Is that a good idea?

$28 million of it is a roster bonus for Manning. It can be split over the last 4 years of his contract. ($7 million/year). If I had to spend $28 million, I would not. But it's Irsay's money.

Best case scenario: Peyton has 3 years of top notch football left.

Worse case scenario: He's done.

Most likely scenario: Somewhere in-between. Peyton will never go on another Iron Man streak. Why not have a top QB waiting and learning in the wings? One that can fill in when Peyton gets another injury.

The only problem is the massive cap hit that the Colts will have to take when they do let Manning go, whether that be 1-3 years from now.

Just curious, but why is the most likely scenario that he has a couple good years left? Do you have any updates on his situation? I haven't really seen anything recently.

Just curious, but why is the most likely scenario that he has a couple good years left? Do you have any updates on his situation? I haven't really seen anything recently.

He has been cleared to throw the ball and has been doing so to good reviews.

Has Luck chimed in yet? What if he pulled an Elway or an Eli Manning putting terms on where he wants to play.

Do you guys not read the news? :wacko:

Luck said a couple weeks ago he would be fine playing in Indy.

Edited by CaptainHook

He has been cleared to throw the ball and has been doing so to good reviews.

Throwing is one thing, avoiding the rush and getting hit is another. Peyton is known as a self sacking coward afraid to take a hit, if he comes back he'll be so jumpy he'll make Blain Gabbert appear to have the pocket gonads of Hercules.