[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears fire Angelo

Chief Dick

:tup::wacko:

Now let's get rid of Martz.

Regardless of what Lovie says, I see at least 12 players/coaches/office personnel gone by March.

George McCaskey is the best change and he should do good things.

Well, yes, to a degree. That said, the article is full of things that were clearly not Angelo's fault (and a bunch that were). For example, how is Gabe Carimi getting hurt and having to be put on IR in the second game of the season Angelo's fault? How is Barber's lack of intelligence Angelo's fault? Cedric Benson may not have succeeded in Chicago but he's done OK in Cincy - how is that the fault of anyone other than the coaches?

Some of the stuff in the article can be laid at Angelo's door, such as failure to have successors for the OL a few years back, or the total lack of depth at QB once Cutler went out (though how much of this is instead down to ownership is open to question).

The Bears will only have occasional nodding acquaintance with success and for the most part will be among the also-rans or worse until ownership changes. The Bears ownership is cheap and cheap does not win diddly squat. It definitely doesn't bring elite status or consistent success. See Forte, Matt, for the latest example of Bears ownership cheapness.

Can any GM succeed in Chicago? :wacko:

:lol::wacko:

Now let's get rid of Martz.

Regardless of what Lovie says, I see at least 12 players/coaches/office personnel gone by March.

George McCaskey is the best change and he should do good things.

Dan Pompei is reporting that Martz has resigned because of "philosophical differences." :tup: Martz's contract was up anyway.

And Lovie Smith will return for 2012.

The Bears have called a presser for 4pm central time, and sweaty team president Ted Phillips will address the media. This ought to be good!

Do we have a McCaskey who actually might know what the hell he's doing?

Edit: In case anyone cares, QB coach and Martz crony Shane Day is out too.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Took almost a complete flush of the team to clean up his mess. But if you like 5'7" cornerbacks you will be happy.

:wacko: It was that bad? Uh oh.

I wouldn't want to see a 5'7" corner trying to cover Calvin Johnson. :tup:

I don't know what general manager candidates are out there, but it's a hugh disappointment if the Bears don't bring in a legitimate player personnel guy and give it to Ruskell.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

I just read it could be some executive from the Packers. Name eludes me but apparently he and Lovie are good pals and Lovie may have a say on who is hired.
Despite firing GM Jerry Angelo Tuesday morning, the McCaskeys apparently have no plans to sack Smith or his staff. "Lovie Smith will remain as head coach and will continue to evaluate his coaching staff," the Bears' statement reads. Smith could emerge from the front-office change with increased decision-making power, and perhaps even have say in hiring Chicago's next GM. As noted by Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Smith and Packers Director of Football Operations Reggie McKenzie are "very good friends." McKenzie may rank high on the Bears' list of Angelo successors.

That's the guy I was talking about. Don't know anything about him but I do respect the Packers organization enough to anticipate this being a good move. Anyone else have thoughts or knowledge about this guy?

:wacko: It was that bad? Uh oh.

I wouldn't want to see a 5'7" corner trying to cover Calvin Johnson. :tup:

In Ruskell's first year, Seattle went to the superbowl as he added some key free agent pieces to previously acquired talent, that was the high point. Before this season, ESPN did an interesting evaluation of draft picks from over three years (forgot what years they were) assigning a somewhat subjective positive or negative value to where each player was picked to how he performed. Seattle was dead last as Ruskell whiffed on almost every pick but 2 or 3 over his tenure in Seattle.

Pete Carrol almost completely flipped the team and his first two rebuild years have been substantially better than the end of the Ruskell era

That's the guy I was talking about. Don't know anything about him but I do respect the Packers organization enough to anticipate this being a good move. Anyone else have thoughts or knowledge about this guy?

I'd be okay with this.

There is another name being kicked around. It's some junior personnel guy with the Saints I forget his name.

In Ruskell's first year, Seattle went to the superbowl as he added some key free agent pieces to previously acquired talent, that was the high point. Before this season, ESPN did an interesting evaluation of draft picks from over three years (forgot what years they were) assigning a somewhat subjective positive or negative value to where each player was picked to how he performed. Seattle was dead last as Ruskell whiffed on almost every pick but 2 or 3 over his tenure in Seattle.

Pete Carrol almost completely flipped the team and his first two rebuild years have been substantially better than the end of the Ruskell era

:wacko:

Hub Arkush of Profootballweekly was just on the local sports radio station. He said Ruskell makes Angelo look like Vince Lombardi.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

I thought he did a good job but Chicago fans would know better I guess it all depends on who they put in his place. Just hope it's not Ruskell. the grass is not always green.

Edited by Seahawk

No way this even gets off the ground. Any talks will be blocked by the Packers. Allowing a top level man to go to the the Bears? No way in hell :wacko:

No way this even gets off the ground. Any talks will be blocked by the Packers. Allowing a top level man to go to the the Bears? No way in hell :tup:

don't be so sure. Then again if he is the best candidate the Bears won't hire anyway. Lovie will have input. :wacko:

Watching the news conference. They said Ruskell will head up the scouting department for now. Ted Philips says he's not eliminating anybody from consideration for gm, but it doesn't sound like Ruskell is a candidate.

We can only hope. :wacko:

Philips says the gm will have to accept Lovie as the head coach in 2012. Lovie will have input into the gm hire.

Philips also says the Bears need to do better drafting in the early rounds. (Ya' think?)

The decision to let Martz walk was Lovie's.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Philips says the gm will have to accept Lovie as the head coach in 2012. Lovie will have input into the gm hire.

What GM will want this position. Just give Lovie the HC and GM position. very muddled.

What GM will want this position. Just give Lovie the HC and GM position. very muddled.

Yup. Welcome to Chicago Bears football. :wacko:

And it looks like Lovie has a ton of power in the organization too.

Philips also said he wanted to close the talent gap between the Packers and Lions, and the Bears. That talent gap is as big as the Grand Canyon right now. And the Vikings played the Bears tough Sunday.

Edited by Wolverines Fan