[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers to keep AJ and Norv

McBoog

I am dumbfounded. The team has been getting progressively worse since Norv took the helm and missed the playoffs in 2 consecutive years in a poor division. Ugghh! And AJ Smith's latest drafts have been extremely poor. He has lost more significant talent (Brees, Michael Turner, Sproles, Cromartie) than he has replaced.

I guess 1 victory over the Raiders was enough to save the jobs of Norv and AJ and change Spanos' frame-of-mind after it seemed all but certain the two would be gone. Shoot! If the Raiders knew ahead of time this was going to happen, maybe they would have lost on purpose to keep those two guys around.

I am dumbfounded. The team has been getting progressively worse since Norv took the helm and missed the playoffs in 2 consecutive years in a poor division. Ugghh! And AJ Smith's latest drafts have been extremely poor. He has lost more significant talent (Brees, Michael Turner, Sproles, Cromartie) than he has replaced.

I guess 1 victory over the Raiders was enough to save the jobs of Norv and AJ and change Spanos' frame-of-mind after it seemed all but certain the two would be gone. Shoot! If the Raiders knew ahead of time this was going to happen, maybe they would have lost on purpose to keep those two guys around.

Finally...a voice of reason.

I didn't understand why they let Sproles walk. I think his absence hurt Philip Rivers.

maybe they're waiting for next year to offer the head job to phil jackson......

chargers will be better next year cuz thier O line can get back to healthy, which is why rivers struggled so much this year. wonder if marty would have been able to rally the troops and avoid that 6 game skid in the middle of the season?? i think so, norv is a great coord but bad head coach. this just keeps the afc west as a .500 division and open to anyone who wants to win it

this just keeps the afc west as a .500 division and open to anyone who wants to win it

The Bolts will be lucky to repeat their 8-8 record from this year.

The Bolts will be lucky to repeat their 8-8 record from this year.

Really, in there division. I think there good for at least 4-5 wins. I'd put money on them being at least 8-8 next year.

that doesn't make sense... doesn't spanos have the decision on whether to move or not? Isn't his decision on whether SD builds him a new stadium or not?

Well, he has to make a deal with the L.A. Stadium builder too.

that doesn't make sense... doesn't spanos have the decision on whether to move or not? Isn't his decision on whether SD builds him a new stadium or not?

Here are the two comments I was thinking about:

The decision to keep Turner and Smith is a good indication the Chargers won't be coming to L.A. this off-season. They would probably want a fresh start with a new coach and GM.

I had it wrong, too. I thought the Chargers would move here this off-season. But Spanos and Philip Anschutz, who is offering to build a new stadium downtown, can't seem to agree on a deal.

I know I posted a "Norv must go" thread, and still think we can find better. BUT, I also understand why they did what they did.

Here is how I see the Chargers season:

- They tied for first at 8-8. Barring injuries (That Pro Football Weekly sighted as the third most devastating of all 32 teams), especially to the O-line, they are 10-6.

- The defensive coordinator was HORRIBLE. He will be fired. A new system and a couple free agents will greatly improve that side of the ball.

- The vast majority of the key players lobbied to keep Norv. That is important. All the Rah Rah crap doesn't count at the pro level. Being "too soft" on the players at this level is a nonsense argument.

- Too bring in a new GM and HC for a team that has not had a losing season for a decade on a team that needs some tweaking, not house cleaning, is too disruptive. The 49ers are an exception to the rule. The vast majority of drastic changes end in misery for a few years. All the scouting and everything else that has been done through the season would be lost and the chances at a good draft greatly diminish. A GM is someone you fire early in the year to get started on the following season, not the current one. GMs are always playing a year or two ahead.

Would I like change, Yes, but sound change. I understand why the Chargers did what they did. None of the big name coaches that have been talked about are a guarantee and you have to fire who you have before anyone would interview for the job. I think another year is reasonable considering the horrible injury luck the Chargers have had over the last two or three years. Fire AJ 3-4 games in if things don't look better and Norv at the end of the year.

After all, one win more would have won the division and I still think this is a 10-6 team.

I know I posted a "Norv must go" thread, and still think we can find better. BUT, I also understand why they did what they did.

- They tied for first at 8-8. Barring injuries (That Pro Football Weekly sighted as the third most devastating of all 32 teams), especially to the O-line, they are 10-6.

- The defensive coordinator was HORRIBLE. He will be fired. A new system and a couple free agents will greatly improve that side of the ball.

- The vast majority of the key players lobbied to keep Norv. That is important. All the Rah Rah crap doesn't count at the pro level. Being "too soft" on the players at this level is a nonsense argument.

- Too bring in a new GM and HC for a team that has not had a losing season for a decade on a team that needs some tweaking, not house cleaning, is too disruptive. The 49ers are an exception to the rule. The vast majority of drastic changes end in misery for a few years. All the scouting and everything else that has been done through the season would be lost and the chances at a good draft greatly diminish. A GM is someone you fire early in the year to get started on the following season, not the current one. GMs are always playing a year or two ahead.

Would I like change, Yes, but sound change. I understand why the Chargers did what they did. None of the big name coaches that have been talked about are a guarantee and you have to fire who you have before anyone would interview for the job. I think another year is reasonable considering the horrible injury luck the Chargers have had over the last two or three years. Fire AJ 3-4 games in if things don't look better and Norv at the end of the year.

After all, one win more would have won the division and I still think this is a 10-6 team.

I applaud your patience. I think I would be very upset if I were a Chargers fan. I think that Turner has done less with more than any coach that I can remember for a long time now. The Chargers should have won this division with ease over the last several seasons.

I feel for you guys but at the end of the day this is classic Stockholm syndrome.

There's admittedly not much difference between 8-8 and 10-6 but regardless of the record this team needs way more than tweaking. They needed tweaking after the 2006 season - now they need an overhaul. They are in a rut of underachieving and Norv will not change that one iota while he's there - he's the problem. If you're 10-6 next year and do a one-and-done in the playoffs, how will you feel?

If 12-4, 9-7, and 14-2 weren't good enough under Schottenheimer, why on earth would you tolerate this garbage?