[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your Homer Team 2012

Chief Dick

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Packer fan here.

I want the team to draft the best player available. I want that player to be a ROLB in round one, a D.T. in round two, a C.B. in round three, a D.E. in round four, a safety in round 5, a utility O-lineman in round 6, and a project Q.B. in round seven.

And add in the expected comp picks.

Going further on GB, I was pondering why their D fell off a cliff this year from last year. I MAY be oversimplifying things, but basically looking at last year, you had probably 6 players on D who would qualify for "difference-maker" status* - CM III, Woodson, Williams, Raji, Collins, Cullen Jenkins.

Jenkins left in FA, Collins went out early in the season with a possible career-threatening injury, Raji has been more "just a guy" than anything, Williams has been average at best.

That leaves Woodson and CM III - and Woodson is at the point where I think he picks his spots to turn it on.

So yeah, of the key defensive personnel, GB's numbers of blue-chippers are WAY down from last year.

Anyway, as to what they need - I like the OL rotation, but you need fat guys, since Wells may leave in FA and Clifton may retire. Still leaves you with an OL of Sherrod/Newhouse, Lang, Dietrich-Smith (I am assuming), Sitton, and Bulaga, but suddenly there's NO depth.

The defense, you need guys at all 3 levels - DL is basically a 2-man show right now (Raji and Pickett); LB you have Matthews and Bishop and a buncha guys ranging from OK to bad; CB looks solid - you hope Shield and Williams bounce back, but Woodson is getting up there, and there isn't much behind them - I don't mind seeing Jarrett Bush out there subbing for Woodson, but I'd be hesitant to see him on a regular basis; at S the Burnett and Peprah combo just isn't getting it done.

* - a difference maker is a player who can almost single-handedly change the outcome of a game on his own

DL, OLB, S, OL

1A. Defensive End that can penetrate and pressure the QB.

1B. OLB that can get to the QB. Walden/Zombo/Jones experiment doesn't work.

3. Saftey/Corner IF Nick Collins' career is over. If he's full steam ahead then it's not a need this early... Even if Nick Collins does retire the Packers could transition Woodson to Safety.

4. Runningback. The Pack haven't had a rusher since 2009, and the offense has rolled, but a real back sure would be nice to aid Rodgers and co.

5. Cornerback. Woodson won't be playing corner forever. I still have all the faith in Tramon Williams, but I think Shields is a nickel back.

I don't see O line as a need that has to be addressed in the draft. All reports are that Sherrod will be ready to go in time for the start of the season. Marshall Newhouse has been good, but not great, and Brian Bulaga has impressed me on the right side. TJ Lang is playing at a pro bowl level, as is Sitton. While not yet in the caliber of the Saints duo, I think they're not too far behind. I also don't see Wells leaving town, and EDS is good enough.

Going further on GB, I was pondering why their D fell off a cliff this year from last year. I MAY be oversimplifying things, but basically looking at last year, you had probably 6 players on D who would qualify for "difference-maker" status* - CM III, Woodson, Williams, Raji, Collins, Cullen Jenkins.

Jenkins left in FA, Collins went out early in the season with a possible career-threatening injury, Raji has been more "just a guy" than anything, Williams has been average at best.

That leaves Woodson and CM III - and Woodson is at the point where I think he picks his spots to turn it on.

So yeah, of the key defensive personnel, GB's numbers of blue-chippers are WAY down from last year.

Anyway, as to what they need - I like the OL rotation, but you need fat guys, since Wells may leave in FA and Clifton may retire. Still leaves you with an OL of Sherrod/Newhouse, Lang, Dietrich-Smith (I am assuming), Sitton, and Bulaga, but suddenly there's NO depth.

The defense, you need guys at all 3 levels - DL is basically a 2-man show right now (Raji and Pickett); LB you have Matthews and Bishop and a buncha guys ranging from OK to bad; CB looks solid - you hope Shield and Williams bounce back, but Woodson is getting up there, and there isn't much behind them - I don't mind seeing Jarrett Bush out there subbing for Woodson, but I'd be hesitant to see him on a regular basis; at S the Burnett and Peprah combo just isn't getting it done.

* - a difference maker is a player who can almost single-handedly change the outcome of a game on his own

I think Raji is down, as is Matthews stats because the D line isn't getting penetration. Jerious Wynn had a nice effort the opening weeks of the year, and Neal has disappointed. Raji is playing way too many downs and is wearing out.

Walden/Zombo also had moments of impact which arent there.

I firmly believe that Nick Collins is and has been the best player in the secondary for the past 4-5 years. Losing what I think is a top 5 player at his position has drastically hurt the pass d.