[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are we renewing the era of NFC dominance?

detlef

No Disrespect to the Giants or 49ers but I would think the thoughts in this thread pertained more to the Pack and Saints. Now that they are gone do we still feel the NFC has an edge in the sb with the 4 remaining teams ?

Funny, I thought about this thread this morning, thinking that, were I a betting man, I would say NE was the team to beat from here on out. Which, obviously, were that to happen, it would shoot quite a hole in my theory.

Well, except for the fact that I was trying to make it clear that I was mostly talking about how many very good to great teams in the NFC were either on very solid footing or even improving. After all, in a given year, anything can happen. Scott Norwood came a foot or two away from punching a hole in the NFC's run. Cinci holds SF on that last drive, there's another. And so on. That wouldn't, however, change the fact that was an era where the NFC was flat-out loaded compared to the AFC.

And I think that still seems to be shaping up. Steelers showed they were as old as advertised. Broncos sure showed they're in a real bind going forward. With a QB who's likely done enough to earn a shot as the unquestioned starter, at least in the eyes of the fans, yet has a really long way to go. Baltimore still relies far too much on their D. Cinci is incomplete and didn't beat a single good team all year, but at least they're young. It comes back to Houston, who you absolutely have to give a pass to because of all the injuries. And, of course, the Pats. Who else in the AFC looks poised to make a move. Barring anything unforeseen?

On the other hand, your 3rd and 4th best teams in the NFC were both good enough to beat the two "best" and the 5th and 6th are both young and promising. And then you've got teams like Philly and Chicago, both of whom were playing as well as anyone in the league for various stretches of the season.