[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty league ideas

godtomsatan

I want to try out a keeper league that doesn't use contract years as a means of limiting roster space/player movement. I realize there's ways to make a more competitive format using the prevailing structure of current "standard" BOTH leagues and similar dynasty/keeper leagues (drop the number of contract years available for a roster, eliminate the franchise tag, make rosters/DTS smaller, re-construct RFA, etc.), however I kind of came up with a couple of format structures I wanted some input on to see how others felt about them.

These are theoretical descriptions with theoretical limitations, but feel free to offer up comments on the structure ideas:

The "Slot" Formation

Let's say this consists of a 40-man roster size and 10-man DTS. Each team gets 25 protection slots each year (20 for main roster, 5 for DTS). After all teams present a protection list (say mid-March), a draft begins in reverse order of standings with a draft pool that consists of all players left unprotected. Once a team loses a player to another team, they may retract one player from their roster from the pool. Depending on how many teams in the league, this is about a 12 round draft that would essentially take the place of RFA in the current standard dynasty formats as far as reallocating players. A separate rookie draft could then take place later in the spring. Also, the protection slots would be open for trading. So, maybe some teams in need of protecting younger players could add a 6th or 7th protection spot, while another team with more veterans doesn't need their 4th or 5th slots, but does need a 21st or 22nd regular roster spot, etc., etc..

The PAR Method

In a nutshell, a player's "cap hit" on a roster is based on his performance in the previous season. PAR = Points Above Replacement. The example here for a 12 team league, after week 17 the cumulative stats for the end of the season are available. We know that the 13th best QB clocked in with 282 points (that's essentially a replacement-level starter for the league), while the 6th best QB clocked in with 355 points. The value for that 6th best QB the following season would count 73 units against the cap (points above replacement). The replacement level is set at one below the number of teams in the league (assuming the top 12 would be starters if evenly distributed). Let's assume some kind of a roster-size limit of some sort, but likely wouldn't need a DTS since non-performing players would have a minimum count against a cap.

The bad thing about this system is that it would require a bit more participation and attention to details from owners regarding cap values of individual players. However, I believe this would be more of an off-season issue and much of an issue for commissioners to maintain proper details of this cap information.

The good thing about this system is that young players who don't perform up to the replacement level either wouldn't count at all against the cap, or could count a minimum amount against the cap. For instance, in this system a guy like Andy Dalton would have no cap hit going into 2012. He wouldn't start counting until he started performing.

My thought is that almost immediately after the season, the cap values of players would be known, and that the cap limitations of rosters going into the next season would be readily apparent. Owners could then move players accordingly, with the idea that at some point, rosters would need to be in compliance with the new season's cap. Unless I haven't thought all of this through, there would be no need for an RFA-type period and theoretically could be used in hybrid form with the "slot" system detailed above, but I may not have thought that part all the way through.

Any thoughts to either of these concepts? A bit heady perhaps, but also a bit more of a challenge to it with potential for revolving rosters and such. Let me know what anyone thinks of these or how they could be made better!

Edited by godtomsatan

I like the slot formation concept, not sure how diffiuclt it will be to keep track of trades involving protection slot types/numbers.

ETA: I assume this to be an IDP league as well given the roster size.

Edited by T_bone65

I think the slot idea is ok, although I would prefer a more straight-up dynasty format where you can keep everyone. I don't like the PAR idea.

I know you said you don't like contracts, but if you are trying to work out a format that has more roster turnover than a standard dynasty I played in a complex format I liked. It has contracts, a salary cap, an auction for veteran players and a draft for rookies. Rookies have a scaled salary assigned to them based on their draft position and up to 4 year contracts so you can keep them for a while as long as you have the cap room, although you don't have to sign every rookie to 4 year contracts if you don't want to. If you cut someone who is under contract there is a cap hit, but not if you trade them. There are also franchise designations you can give to players whose contract is up so you can keep your top players. It was an IDP league but I think it could work for non-IDP leagues too. I liked that format a lot more than both of the ideas you mentioned.

If you are mainly looking for activity, not necessarily roster turnover, there are rules you can put into a standard dynasty format that encourages activity. I have "activity" rules in the leagues I run (and any new league I will start up) that specifically state minimum activity. I also create a number of ways people can win money so it keeps everyone interested every week. I also set up a lottery bowl tournament with weighted scoring so teams that aren't in the playoffs can still win something at the end of the year (a more favorable draft position or you can give them an extra draft pick, or something like that).

I like the slot formation concept, not sure how diffiuclt it will be to keep track of trades involving protection slot types/numbers.

ETA: I assume this to be an IDP league as well given the roster size.

I don't think it would be too difficult at all. MFL can be manipulated enough....

Yeah, IDP, the only way to fly. :wacko:

I know you said you don't like contracts, but if you are trying to work out a format that has more roster turnover than a standard dynasty I played in a complex format I liked. It has contracts, a salary cap, an auction for veteran players and a draft for rookies. Rookies have a scaled salary assigned to them based on their draft position and up to 4 year contracts so you can keep them for a while as long as you have the cap room, although you don't have to sign every rookie to 4 year contracts if you don't want to. If you cut someone who is under contract there is a cap hit, but not if you trade them. There are also franchise designations you can give to players whose contract is up so you can keep your top players. It was an IDP league but I think it could work for non-IDP leagues too. I liked that format a lot more than both of the ideas you mentioned.

Like I said earlier, there are tweaks to the current "standard' that can make things work in a more interesting fashion.

I am looking at trying to get a Beta Test on an IDP concept...not sure yet if MFL or anyone else will be able to accommodate so might have to do some manual tweaking in season 1...main gist is that depending on what positions you start on the IDP side will impact the scoring for your oppositions RBs/WRs...if a site can handle it then it will be much more involved, but if not then the beta test will be a bit more basic.

edit: granted it isn't exclusive to just dynasty leagues but that is what the beta league will be.

Edited by keggerz

We do it by Round drafted...Each year you move a guy up a round and the only people who can't be protected are first rounders...FA pickups are determined by the next years rankings as of Aug. 30th and you can move them back 2 rounds from their ranking and then their slot is set for every year after..Works pretty well and a Stafford as a 10th rd keeper has more value than say a Brady at round 2 so trades are pretty easy to put together..You can trade for the now or the future..

We do it by Round drafted...Each year you move a guy up a round and the only people who can't be protected are first rounders...FA pickups are determined by the next years rankings as of Aug. 30th and you can move them back 2 rounds from their ranking and then their slot is set for every year after..Works pretty well and a Stafford as a 10th rd keeper has more value than say a Brady at round 2 so trades are pretty easy to put together..You can trade for the now or the future..

:wacko: