[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers OC Son is Missing

The Next Generation

I hear ya Rajn ... I think the perception of the powers of alcohol in our society is greatly minimized and misunderstood or smoothed over by those in denial of alcohol's effects on judgement and motor skills, when in fact it is a powerful drug in every sense. This is yet another sad story of a young man dying too soon.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just find it silly that those who want pot legal claim it harmless. When combined with alcohol, all effects are magnified. If pot was to be legalized, then you will have more accidents like this, not to say that you don't already have enough. Then you could go on about prescription meds and any other drug for that matter.

As rajn said, the thing isn't that pot is ABSOLUTELY harmless, it's that relative to alcohol, cigarettes, many prescription drugs, and other illegal drugs (in other word, anything the ATF, FDA, or DEA has jurisdiction over), it's pretty much the least harmful of the bunch.

As rajn said, the thing isn't that pot is ABSOLUTELY harmless, it's that relative to alcohol, cigarettes, many prescription drugs, and other illegal drugs (in other word, anything the ATF, FDA, or DEA has jurisdiction over), it's pretty much the least harmful of the bunch.

That's not what I learned from the movie Reefer madness, nor from watching all those Dragnet episodes back in the 60's and 70's.

That's not what I learned from the movie Reefer madness, nor from watching all those Dragnet episodes back in the 60's and 70's.

"You a pothead, SNICKERSer?"

The bottomline is this kid was all f-d up and decided to go out onto the ice, kind of a recipe for disaster. If he was only stoned he probably wouldn't have had the ambition to get off the couch, if he was only drunk he would have still been out there but might have been less disoriented. A tragic story nonetheless...

don't tell that to the folks doing time for distribution and possession, they might not agree

Actually, I'd bet many would. Just because our courts have arbitrarily decided that pot is worse doesn't make it true.

Like others have said, it's not that pot is absolutely harmless, it's that it is no more dangerous (and likely far less so) than many things that we've decided to allow people to use their own judgement with. Yet we latch onto it like you did in your first post. Glossing over the fact that the kid had a BAC over 2x the legal limit (at least in many states, not sure what it is up there) and went straight to the, "And people want to make pot legal?"

And, honestly, I doubt there'd be a massive uptick in usage if it were legal. It's not like it's really hard to get, so those who want it can get it already. But there are a ton of people out there, like me, who have no issue with it but have simply moved on. I used to smoke it everyday and now barely touch it. Not because I had some epiphany and realized it was ruining my life or anything, I just got sort of bored with it. Now I maybe smoke it 1-2x per year. Not because I can't get high quality if I want it, just because I'm just not into it any more. And it wasn't like I had to "quit" either, which is a big difference. If I ever drank or did coke as much as I smoked pot, simply "moving on" would have been a much, much bigger issue. I can't tell you how many friends of mine were daily smokers that just sort of stopped (but not entirely) sometime along the way. Just like I can tell you about plenty of friends who had a taste for booze or coke or, hell, cigs and "sort of stopping" meant they can't go near the stuff any more for the rest of their lives or risk getting hooked again.