[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bama V. LSU

SEC=UGA

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely hope that the game last night will finally bring an end to the current screwed up system. But, don't blame the SEC for the current debacle we have. Mike Slive, the SEC commissioner has been pushing for years to move to at least a +1 format. Two years ago when he brought it up at the NCAA meetings the Big 12 and Big 10 were adamant that the system stay the way it is currently structured. Slive is already making his rounds promoting the +1 format and a BCS revamp and hopefully can get something accomplished after what happened this season.

Now, back to the putrid offenses thing... Bama put up as many yards on LSU as did Oregon. Anyone here think Oregon has a putrid offense? Let's break this down:

Oregon:

Passing - 31-54 for 240 yards

Rushing - 28 for 95 yards

Total - 335 yards

Bama:

Passing - 23-34 for 234 yards

Rushing - 35 for 150 yards

Total - 384 yards

That over rated LSU defense held Oregon to it's lowest point total of the year, 11 points fewer than the exceptional USC Trojan defense allowed (and 140 fewer yards.) These defenses are good. But, yes, and I've been saying it all year, LSU does not have a great offense and that would be their downfall.

The Oregon offense in December is much different than the Oregon offense the first game of the season.

Please enlighten me: How were the participants of the national championship game chosen? Via a tournament where they have to beat teams of a similar record that may include schools from other conferences, or via a computer algorithm?

My argument isn't whether the teams deserved it. It's that, if the BCS were applied to other sports, Duke and UNC would play for the college basketball championship every year, and the Patriots would be in every Super Bowl.

I don't care about the merits of the SEC. I want to be entertained. The BCS is boring, because it's set up to reward the big powerhouse schools, year after year. I would actually like to see how Boise State does against a powerhouse, instead of everyone telling me every year just how undeserving it is.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

I'm the model citizen of the college football forum.

A sad state of affairs indeed.

I decided to not make a point of watching it for the same reason I largely ignored the bowl season. The Stanford/OSU game was the only one I watched in it's entirety or even a significant amount of. If I caught others it was in passing or because I had nothing better to do.

I watched what I did watch because I got home from work and wasn't ready to hit the sack. Turns out, the game worked like a charm and I woke up to see Bama celebrating the Championship.

At any rate, my reason for not really watching college ball is because I'm tired of the crap. I'm tired of the manner in which they decide the championship. I'm tired about how it's not a business except when it is. I'm tired about people deifying coaches and allowing what happened at PSU to happen. The pro game, by comparison, is so much more pure. Not because it's clean, but because it doesn't pretend not to be. And once you remove that veil of purity, then people get held accountable for their crimes.

That said, what I did see of last night's game was awful football. And that's not because I'd prefer a 65-53 game, but because I've seen what happens when complete teams face off and it's exciting football. The Ds make it hard enough so the Os don't just go up and down the field. But the Os are good enough to ultimately figure out a kink in the armor and break through for a score every now and then. That's the football that I want.

Agree 100%

To the Boise State supporter, the only moderately competent defense they played against this season was in their loss to TCU.

Boise State Results

Regarding defensive performance, I think a true football fan appreciates a great hit/tackle as much as a great TD pass. Alabama played a stellar defensive game yesterday. Period.

Not to mention, they scored 21 points against the #2 defense.

Defense matters and should be celebrated when it excels. I think it is ridiculous to claim "Team A" would have done better when they have never faced a decent defense.

Next year should be interesting. My second love, UCLA, has a new coach that will emphasize defense. Should UCLA become a defensive powerhouse unlike any other team in the PAC 12, I, perhaps for one, will find those future match-ups very entertaining.

I would actually like to see how Boise State does against a powerhouse, instead of everyone telling me every year just how undeserving it is.

Boise State against a legendary defense like Alabama - or LSU - would not score.

To the Boise State supporter, the only moderately competent defense they played against this season was in their loss to TCU.

Boise State Results

Regarding defensive performance, I think a true football fan appreciates a great hit/tackle as much as a great TD pass. Alabama played a stellar defensive game yesterday. Period.

Not to mention, they scored 21 points against the #2 defense.

Defense matters and should be celebrated when it excels. I think it is ridiculous to claim "Team A" would have done better when they have never faced a decent defense.

Next year should be interesting. My second love, UCLA, has a new coach that will emphasize defense. Should UCLA become a defensive powerhouse unlike any other team in the PAC 12, I, perhaps for one, will find those future match-ups very entertaining.

Thank you for proving my original point. I think a true football fan appreciates when "who would win?" arguments are settled on the field, not in endless, meaningless debate about who played whom.

Edit: And I am indifferent about Boise State.

Edited by montster

Well, it is all about the money. ....that the guys who run the bowl system are making. The only real reason we don't have some kind of playoff (fully admitting that they'd probably half fook it up as well) is that the current power structure is getting rich and the University Presidents are too scared, stupid, evil, corrupt, lazy, or incompetent to change the current system. But I still like college better than the pros. :wacko:

Well, it is all about the money. ....that the guys who run the bowl system are making. The only real reason we don't have some kind of playoff (fully admitting that they'd probably half fook it up as well) is that the current power structure is getting rich and the University Presidents are too scared, stupid, evil, corrupt, lazy, or incompetent to change the current system. But I still like college better than the pros. :wacko:

How is there more money in what they're selling than there would be in even a +1 situation? It amazes me that they've had be dragged, kicking and screaming to that.

But anyways, I just feel like so many are taking their frustrations with the BCS and firing it at LSU and Bama for happening to be the recipients of the current system... I never heard so much trashing of a NC game before it even started, and I thought that was lame the way people poo-pooed on seeing two top teams face off.

But as I said before, I hope it helps to get us the playoff we all want.

I'm pretty sure the main reason people were trashing this game before it started was the fact that they'd already played this year and although their 9-6 game was extremely competitive, it was seen as a harbinger of things to come, correctly for the most part. I actually like defensive football (I'm a Bears fan) but I'm not a big fan of offensive ineptitude, which is what was on display on both sides to a greater or lesser degree.

I also think there's an enormous amount of resentment at the SEC supplying both teams. I can see why that happened but there's a case to be made that the two best teams in the NFL are both in the NFC and they for sure won't be meeting in the final NFL game of the season. It should NEVER happen, IMO, that one conference supplies both teams and I don't care two craps if they are statistically the best.

I guess like some here my passion for college football has diminished so rapidly that I only caught 2 Bucks games this season and didn't even watch 1 minute of any bowl game this year. I have such a sour taste in my mouth for what happened with OSU , then Penn St , then the BCS title game. I don't understand how the NCAA will fix this growing problem. They are the most selfish governed body in the world outside of WallStreet. Until the National Championship is decided on the filed by qualified teams in a system that doesn't bully 95% of Div 1 teams, I don't see much use in watching any games to be honest. College football used to mean more to me then any event in life, lol. After opening my eyes and ears and understanding a bit more about the BCS, the NCAA and the media I guess I resent them all so much I can't bare to care.

Well, it is all about the money. ....that the guys who run the bowl system are making.

Agree 100%.

How is there more money in what they're selling than there would be in even a +1 situation? It amazes me that they've had be dragged, kicking and screaming to that.

The only reason the bowl system still exists is because there are CEO's of these bowls and their minions who are making big money running the bowls as their full time jobs.

Agree 100%.

The only reason the bowl system still exists is because there are CEO's of these bowls and their minions who are making big money running the bowls as their full time jobs.

But it's not an either/or type of thing. Hell, they already added the BCS Championship outside of the normal bowl system. When this whole thing started, the top tier bowls rotated as to who was going to be the title game. Then they added the BCS title game and kept the rest of the top tier bowls in tact. All they have to do now is assign two of those top tier bowls (again on a rotating basis) to be the two semis and still have this stand-alone title game that they've already created.

So, the only thing that changes is the conference affiliations in some years (which we've already mucked up to that degree anyway) and create a bit more interest in two of those bowl games each year.

In other words, keep everything almost exactly the same, just make it more desirable to the viewers.

The net difference is, the worst two teams who were in a BCS bowl would have been pushed down to a lesser bowl. In other words, Michigan/Va Tech would not have happened. Instead of that game, we would have had Stanford v LSU and instead of Stanford/OSU, we would have had Bama/OSU. Then the winner would have played this past Monday. OSU/Stanford probably got a nice number, but so would Bama/OSU. And certainly LSU/Stanford would outdraw the crapfest that was Va Tech/Michigan. So, everything stays the same except you replace a crappy game that nobody outside of AnnArbor and Blacksburg cares about. Plus, you'd have to think the finals would generate more eyes based on the fact that the two teams earned it.

The net difference is, the worst two teams who were in a BCS bowl would have been pushed down to a lesser bowl. In other words, Michigan/Va Tech would not have happened. Instead of that game, we would have had Stanford v LSU and instead of Stanford/OSU, we would have had Bama/OSU. Then the winner would have played this past Monday. OSU/Stanford probably got a nice number, but so would Bama/OSU. And certainly LSU/Stanford would outdraw the crapfest that was Va Tech/Michigan. So, everything stays the same except you replace a crappy game that nobody outside of AnnArbor and Blacksburg cares about. Plus, you'd have to think the finals would generate more eyes based on the fact that the two teams earned it.

I completely agree, and as a Tide fan, I think they would have done similarly well in your system.

Also, the final game needs to be on a network on a weekend - not on ESPN on a Monday night. If there was a playoff system - and I would be all for it - people would watch - on a weekend. Is the Super Bowl ever on Monday night?

Even if they keep the current system, which would sadden me, they should figure out a way that the at BCS championship game is the last game played on New Year's Day.

Just my thoughts. All the best to all!