[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bama V. LSU

SEC=UGA

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could fix that by scrapping the games against St Esmerelda's One Legged Blind School they start the season with.

that would work if they didn't have playoffs for D-III, D-II, and what used to be D-IAA (I have no idea what the hell they call it now).

I was actually being sarcastic about it being unfair.

I like seeing Butler play for the basketball national championship. I don't enjoy watching the National Championship brought to you by the SEC every January.

I know. I wasn't. Most of these pre-conference games are a crock of useless poo to pad stats. It would be more meaningful to play a couple games against worthwhile opposition, then start the conferences a couple weeks early, then get the first couple rounds of a sixteen team playoff out of the way by the end of November. Finally, play the semi-finals and NC game in January.

It would have been a lot worse if they played anyone beside LSU cause Bama's offense would have ran over anyone else they played and they would shutdown any offense. LSU has been putting up a lot of points against anyone except Bama. That defense would make anyone look bad. Just face it, the SEC is where its at and its all about Defense.

Edited by Mr. Retail

I like seeing Butler play for the basketball national championship. I don't enjoy watching the National Championship brought to you by the SEC every January.

You mean like Auburn in 2003?

You'd think after the SEC winning the title, what, 7 straight years now, that it might be conceivable that the 2 best teams might just be from the SEC... In fact, considering that LSU handled the other BCS conteders they faced soundly, then Alabama beating the far and away consensus #1 by that kind of margin shows pretty well that both teams deserved to play in this game.

You'd think after the SEC winning the title, what, 7 straight years now, that it might be conceivable that the 2 best teams might just be from the SEC...

Well, if that's what the computing algorithm says, then it must be so.

Well, if that's what the computing algorithm says, then it must be so.

Ummm, no... The algorithms do not decide the outcome of games, so unless you want to debate that the opponents of the SEC in the NC from other conferences were not worthy, wins are the one thing the computers can't lie about...

And please enlighten me, which team was not deserving of this game? The vast consensus #1 at 13-0 with an outstanding body of work, or the team that beat them by 21 points?

Edited by delusions of granduer

Ummm, no... The algorithms do not decide the outcome of games, so unless you want to debate that the opponents of the SEC in the NC from other conferences were not worthy, wins are the one thing the computers can't lie about...

And please enlighten me, which team was not deserving of this game? The vast consensus #1 at 13-0 with an outstanding body of work, or the team that beat them by 21 points?

Please enlighten me: How were the participants of the national championship game chosen? Via a tournament where they have to beat teams of a similar record that may include schools from other conferences, or via a computer algorithm?

My argument isn't whether the teams deserved it. It's that, if the BCS were applied to other sports, Duke and UNC would play for the college basketball championship every year, and the Patriots would be in every Super Bowl.

I don't care about the merits of the SEC. I want to be entertained. The BCS is boring, because it's set up to reward the big powerhouse schools, year after year. I would actually like to see how Boise State does against a powerhouse, instead of everyone telling me every year just how undeserving it is.

Boise State against a legendary defense like Alabama - or LSU - would not score.

If this was actually true. That the only reason why these two games were as bad offensively as they were because the Ds were so amazing, why did "lesser" teams than either LSU or Bama put up more points against these teams during the year? Sure, it was in a losing cause, but they still scored.

So, maybe, just maybe Bama's D was so good tonight because LSU tested them deep exactly never. OK, check that, I missed the first part of the game but by the time I tuned in, all I heard from the dudes on TV is "LSU needs to test them deep", so I'm guessing they hadn't. Then I fell asleep before the game was over.

Memo to Les: I think Bama has the WR screen figured out. That's going to net you about zero yards every time. How 'bout you keep them honest with a little hitch and go?

None the less, fun or not, it's hard to argue that they had the wrong teams in there. Certainly nobody has ever had a more deserving resume than LSU. Unbeaten with wins vs two teams that won BCS games and a bunch of other ranked opponents. And, obviously Bama showed last night they should be there by totally dominating them.

But it doesn't change the fact that the BCS is a smelly piece of crap.

SEC jealousy or do you not like defense? If it's the latter, then maybe Arena football is more your speed....
:wacko:

:tup: Glad I didn't stay up for this one. I'm hoping the complaints get loud enough that they actually have to look at how they do these stupid bowl games and make some improvements.

:wacko:

:tup: Glad I didn't stay up for this one. I'm hoping the complaints get loud enough that they actually have to look at how they do these stupid bowl games and make some improvements.

Yeah, I love how it is implied that anyone not interested in watching one team fail to cross midfield and the other attempt 7 FGs, making 5, before scoring a TD at the very end of the game should just go ahead and watch Arena FB.

Track meets suck.

I wasn't implying that I wanted a 49-45 game. I just wanted a more competitive game. Bama just dominated LSU all night long. Jefferson was horrible tonight. I'm really surprised they didn't make a QB change in the 3rd qtr to try & spark the offense.

I sincerely hope that the game last night will finally bring an end to the current screwed up system. But, don't blame the SEC for the current debacle we have. Mike Slive, the SEC commissioner has been pushing for years to move to at least a +1 format. Two years ago when he brought it up at the NCAA meetings the Big 12 and Big 10 were adamant that the system stay the way it is currently structured. Slive is already making his rounds promoting the +1 format and a BCS revamp and hopefully can get something accomplished after what happened this season.

Now, back to the putrid offenses thing... Bama put up as many yards on LSU as did Oregon. Anyone here think Oregon has a putrid offense? Let's break this down:

Oregon:

Passing - 31-54 for 240 yards

Rushing - 28 for 95 yards

Total - 335 yards

Bama:

Passing - 23-34 for 234 yards

Rushing - 35 for 150 yards

Total - 384 yards

That over rated LSU defense held Oregon to it's lowest point total of the year, 11 points fewer than the exceptional USC Trojan defense allowed (and 140 fewer yards.) These defenses are good. But, yes, and I've been saying it all year, LSU does not have a great offense and that would be their downfall.

Yeah, I love how it is implied that anyone not interested in watching one team fail to cross midfield and the other attempt 7 FGs, making 5, before scoring a TD at the very end of the game should just go ahead and watch Arena FB.

Dude, the comment was made in jest before the game even started, when he was already "yawning" in disgust, like a ton of people poo-pooing a game with strong defenses.... I actually lost interest in the game myself, but that was because it was one-sided and LSU's offense couldn't move the ball, not because defensive games aren't enjoyable, like he seemed to be implying (well, either that or he just didn't like the game because it was all SEC).

If you notice the part that Square didn't quote, I actually said I wanted Bama to win, so hopefully it will cause people to want to a playoff more... So ironically, I'm actually very pleased that folks didn't like how the selections and game worked out.

Please enlighten me: How were the participants of the national championship game chosen? Via a tournament where they have to beat teams of a similar record that may include schools from other conferences, or via a computer algorithm?

My argument isn't whether the teams deserved it. It's that, if the BCS were applied to other sports, Duke and UNC would play for the college basketball championship every year, and the Patriots would be in every Super Bowl.

I don't care about the merits of the SEC. I want to be entertained. The BCS is boring, because it's set up to reward the big powerhouse schools, year after year. I would actually like to see how Boise State does against a powerhouse, instead of everyone telling me every year just how undeserving it is.

I am in no way shape in form defending the current system (particularly not after 2007 when UGA would have been a favorite in a playoff), but as long as we have the current system, then my point is that it looks like they did get the 2 most deserving teams, regardless of whether you or me like it or not.

If you feel that both were deserving, then I have no argument with you, because I don't like the current system anymore than anyone; But plenty have made it a point to say that this game shouldn't have happened, and so I'm saying that according to the BCS system in place, it looks like they got it right for once.

Edited by delusions of granduer

Dude, the comment was made in jest before the game even started, when he was already "yawning" in disgust, like a ton of people poo-pooing a game with strong defenses.... I actually lost interest in the game myself, but that was because it was one-sided and LSU's offense couldn't move the ball, not because defensive games aren't enjoyable, like he seemed to be implying (well, either that or he just didn't like the game because it was all SEC).

If you notice the part that Square didn't quote, I actually said I wanted Bama to win, so hopefully it will cause people to want to a playoff more... So ironically, I'm actually very pleased that folks didn't like how the selections and game worked out.

Versions of that comment were made by plenty of people. Both here and elsewhere.

Versions of that comment were made by plenty of people. Both here and elsewhere.

You mean my comment? Okay, but it was in response to plenty of people, both here and elsewhere, who decided before the game even started that they weren't even going to try to enjoy it, and I thought that was pretty lame.

You mean my comment? Okay, but it was in response to plenty of people, both here and elsewhere, who decided before the game even started that they weren't even going to try to enjoy it, and I thought that was pretty lame.

I decided to not make a point of watching it for the same reason I largely ignored the bowl season. The Stanford/OSU game was the only one I watched in it's entirety or even a significant amount of. If I caught others it was in passing or because I had nothing better to do.

I watched what I did watch because I got home from work and wasn't ready to hit the sack. Turns out, the game worked like a charm and I woke up to see Bama celebrating the Championship.

At any rate, my reason for not really watching college ball is because I'm tired of the crap. I'm tired of the manner in which they decide the championship. I'm tired about how it's not a business except when it is. I'm tired about people deifying coaches and allowing what happened at PSU to happen. The pro game, by comparison, is so much more pure. Not because it's clean, but because it doesn't pretend not to be. And once you remove that veil of purity, then people get held accountable for their crimes.

That said, what I did see of last night's game was awful football. And that's not because I'd prefer a 65-53 game, but because I've seen what happens when complete teams face off and it's exciting football. The Ds make it hard enough so the Os don't just go up and down the field. But the Os are good enough to ultimately figure out a kink in the armor and break through for a score every now and then. That's the football that I want.

I decided to not make a point of watching it for the same reason I largely ignored the bowl season. The Stanford/OSU game was the only one I watched in it's entirety or even a significant amount of. If I caught others it was in passing or because I had nothing better to do.

I watched what I did watch because I got home from work and wasn't ready to hit the sack. Turns out, the game worked like a charm and I woke up to see Bama celebrating the Championship.

At any rate, my reason for not really watching college ball is because I'm tired of the crap. I'm tired of the manner in which they decide the championship. I'm tired about how it's not a business except when it is. I'm tired about people deifying coaches and allowing what happened at PSU to happen. The pro game, by comparison, is so much more pure. Not because it's clean, but because it doesn't pretend not to be. And once you remove that veil of purity, then people get held accountable for their crimes.

That said, what I did see of last night's game was awful football. And that's not because I'd prefer a 65-53 game, but because I've seen what happens when complete teams face off and it's exciting football. The Ds make it hard enough so the Os don't just go up and down the field. But the Os are good enough to ultimately figure out a kink in the armor and break through for a score every now and then. That's the football that I want.

Again, in hindsight I completely agree about the game, and I understand why some would casually boycott the BCS by now....

But to expect that the offenses were just going to be inept for this game was unfounded. Since their last matchup, LSU had been putting up 40+ points against the likes of Arkansas and Georgia, and Alabama's offense showed life too... So while it was clear that 2 of the top defenses were coming into this game, it was not clear that LSU's offense would just regress completely under pressure... As you see from this thread, most people expected at least 2 TDs from each team in a defensive battle, not an offensive snoozer like LSU put up...

But anyways, I just feel like so many are taking their frustrations with the BCS and firing it at LSU and Bama for happening to be the recipients of the current system... I never heard so much trashing of a NC game before it even started, and I thought that was lame the way people poo-pooed on seeing two top teams face off.

But as I said before, I hope it helps to get us the playoff we all want.